• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi everyone, new here and am thrilled to get some advice on mating cockatiels and what to do.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Can I ask you why the nest box should be attached to the outside of the cage and not placed inside?
1. So they don´t go up and poop on the top of the box.
2. To not take up their precious cage space.
3. Ease of access for us to clean and check eggs/chicks.
4. Reduces stress for adults as hole can be blocked while we are quickly in the box. Also this prevents the adults guarding the doorway and biting.

What do I do when she lays another egg because they keep mating. Just take the eggs out? Also read about dummy eggs?
Having a hen means it is best to have a set of dummy eggs on hand. They can be costly, but look at it as an investment in health equipment.
For future eggs, remove the egg and pop a dummy egg in it´s place - where it´s laid, it stays, so you find an egg on the cage floor, then put the dummy there.
While you don´t have dummy eggs, you can take the egg, boils for a couple of minutes, allow to cool (be careful of hot centres) then put back where you found it.
If an egg is laid from up high and you find it broken, leave it a little while so she sees it is broken, then clean up.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Jossner, and Welcome!

I never plan on breeding birds, but thank you for starting this thread. I'm really learning a lot!

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Hi Jossner, and Welcome!

I never plan on breeding birds, but thank you for starting this thread. I'm really learning a lot!
Hey Kassiani! Thanks for the welcome and I’m learning so much too! This forum and the people here are awesome ~Joy (working on Changing my profile name to my first name!)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I first got my budgies, they were too young for me to know their sexes...I was just praying I would have two of the same 2 boys or 2 girls. I don't know what I would have done if I had one of each, they were mating and laying eggs! I feel for you! I'm glad you are here and can ask questions :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm going to be adding a cockatiel to me flock at some point, they seem so personable! Your two are adorable!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
(working on Changing my profile name to my first name!)
Click your username in the top left, then ¨account details¨. From there you will see ¨change username¨ to the left ;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you can figure out any triggers to egg laying and remove them, that would also help. I have the following information below, which is geared towards single hens laying eggs, however may give some ideas even for a pair.

If it helps... This is generally what I recommend for egg-laying hens. (X-post) :)

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Move the cage to a new location
    • Use a cage grate
    • Get a new cage/Use a different cage
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness (may require as much as 16 hrs for 2 weeks - or try providing the opposite, as little as 8 hrs of sleep)
    • Full Spectrum Lighting/Better Lighting
    • Lower the indoor temperature
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
    • Remove anything that could be taken as a nest
    • Remove anything that could be used as nesting material
    • Don't allow her in any dark place or enclosed area
    • IMPORTANT: save the eggs in the fridge
    • If she lays more than 3-4 eggs, put them back in the cage
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Leave the eggs alone in the cage
    • [Optional] Replace with fake eggs (prevent eggs from breaking)
    • Increase calcium
    • Let hen sit on eggs for 3-4 weeks or until she gets bored of them
    • Once done sitting, toss

Generally speaking, there are triggers to hens laying eggs, and if you can remove the triggers, you may be able to stop the egg laying. Triggers can include toys that she can lay in, a plastic base to a cage, nesting material (i.e. cage bedding), a diet high in protein and fat, too much or not enough light, quality of light, etc. All things that should be considered. Removing the triggers to egg laying should be considered *FIRST* before any drastic measures should be taken. You never know, it could be something simple! :)

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
When I first got my budgies, they were too young for me to know their sexes...I was just praying I would have two of the same 2 boys or 2 girls. I don't know what I would have done if I had one of each, they were mating and laying eggs! I feel for you! I'm glad you are here and can ask questions :)

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
I'm going to be adding a cockatiel to me flock at some point, they seem so personable! Your two are adorable!
[/QUOTE
If you can figure out any triggers to egg laying and remove them, that would also help. I have the following information below, which is geared towards single hens laying eggs, however may give some ideas even for a pair.

If it helps... This is generally what I recommend for egg-laying hens. (X-post) :)

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Move the cage to a new location
    • Use a cage grate
    • Get a new cage/Use a different cage
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness (may require as much as 16 hrs for 2 weeks - or try providing the opposite, as little as 8 hrs of sleep)
    • Full Spectrum Lighting/Better Lighting
    • Lower the indoor temperature
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
    • Remove anything that could be taken as a nest
    • Remove anything that could be used as nesting material
    • Don't allow her in any dark place or enclosed area
    • IMPORTANT: save the eggs in the fridge
    • If she lays more than 3-4 eggs, put them back in the cage
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Leave the eggs alone in the cage
    • [Optional] Replace with fake eggs (prevent eggs from breaking)
    • Increase calcium
    • Let hen sit on eggs for 3-4 weeks or until she gets bored of them
    • Once done sitting, toss

Generally speaking, there are triggers to hens laying eggs, and if you can remove the triggers, you may be able to stop the egg laying. Triggers can include toys that she can lay in, a plastic base to a cage, nesting material (i.e. cage bedding), a diet high in protein and fat, too much or not enough light, quality of light, etc. All things that should be considered. Removing the triggers to egg laying should be considered *FIRST* before any drastic measures should be taken. You never know, it could be something simple! :)
Thanks Monica! I’m working on it! I wish I had 2 males or females but I love them both the same. And my hen laid another egg today. Ugh, so much learning to do. But that’s ok!

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Youre more than welcome to one of my babies if they hatch! My hen just laid another egg tonight I don’t know what I got myself in to!

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Click your username in the top left, then ¨account details¨. From there you will see ¨change username¨ to the left ;)
Thanks for all the help and advice Zara! My hen just laid another egg today, I’m losing my mind over this!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My hen just laid another egg today, I’m losing my mind over this!
For future eggs, remove the egg and pop a dummy egg in it´s place - where it´s laid, it stays, so you find an egg on the cage floor, then put the dummy there.
While you don´t have dummy eggs, you can take the egg, boils for a couple of minutes, allow to cool (be careful of hot centres) then put back where you found it.
If an egg is laid from up high and you find it broken, leave it a little while so she sees it is broken, then clean up.
Ps, I also got an egg off of one of my birds today :rolleyes:

I don´t know if I said before, you may want to invest in a calendar or diary to jot eggs down. Cockatiels are notorious for becoming chronic layers, so it is something to monitor.

Pegggggg

Meeting neighbors
Bolding mine. If they're the same age, and you got them from the same place, I'd guess you bought them at the same time? In that case, especially with a mom and pop store that may have a limited number of suppliers, there's a very good chance your birds are brother and sister, yet another reason not to breed them.
This was my very first thought.... also... 1 yr old is not really old enough...

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
This was my very first thought.... also... 1 yr old is not really old enough...
They already said they have no intention of breeding them.

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Ps, I also got an egg off of one of my birds today :rolleyes:

I don´t know if I said before, you may want to invest in a calendar or diary to jot eggs down. Cockatiels are notorious for becoming chronic layers, so it is something to monitor.
Hey! Just ordered dummy eggs from Amazon. Lucky me 1-2 weeks for delivery! Why couldn’t it be Prime?!!! Ugh. Have to go read all your posts again and figure out what to do this weekend. Stupid Amazon! And Happy Egg Day to your hen!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Boiling and cooling a real egg will turn it into a temporary dummy egg ;)

:facepalm: I´m sure she agrees!! :lol:
Oh these hens! And when they are both out of the box she stills rides on top of him, so embarrassing to see haha! We call it ‘doing the diddly’ :)