• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi everyone, new here and am thrilled to get some advice on mating cockatiels and what to do.

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Oh these hens! And when they are both out of the box she stills rides on top of him, so embarrassing to see haha! We call it ‘doing the diddly’ :)
Do they ever lose interest in the eggs???! It’s been going on something like 4 weeks now

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do they ever lose interest in the eggs???! It’s been going on something like 4 weeks now
Sometimes. Count from the day they sit on them, be sure the eggs are removed 20-22ish days later. About 3 weeks is all they should get, then shuffle the cage to throw the birds off the breeding track.

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Sometimes. Count from the day they sit on them, be sure the eggs are removed 20-22ish days later. About 3 weeks is all they should get, then shuffle the cage to throw the birds off the breeding track.
Ok have to work on that. I have 3 teenage boys at home so everyone needs attention including the birds’ . good times!:lol:~Joy

Reactions: Ali

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Bear is 100% male. Sweet has to be female as bear is male and someone has to lay eggs. Her mutation does make it a little more difficult to visually sex , as males lose their pearls unless they are also pied , pearl pied they might keep them, and she is a cinnamon pearl pied.

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Bear is 100% male. Sweet has to be female as bear is male and someone has to lay eggs. Her mutation does make it a little more difficult to visually sex , as males lose their pearls unless they are also pied , pearl pied they might keep them, and she is a cinnamon pearl pied.
Thank you!

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Hey everyone! So I finally took my birds nest box out(first egg aug 26, 8 tj egg yesterday) I feel horrible. I’ve rearranged Both cages. My poor hen is still bugging out 4 hours later calling and running on the floor. The nest box was in the left cage and they both really don’t want to go in it with the toys and stuff but they keep checking it. Anyways I got 7 dummy eggs in the mail too. Do you guys think my poor hen will be ok? I know she will but I feel bad. Just looking for suggestions in case she doesn’t chill

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try giving her some of her favourite things... Fave treat or toys. Sing a favourite song..
She will bounce back.

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Try giving her some of her favourite things... Fave treat or toys. Sing a favourite song..
She will bounce back.
Thanks, she’s very needy today. Lots of extra love! ~Joy

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think she’ll calm down after a while. Sometimes they need tough love.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Hi I raised cockatiels, after about 2 weeks before the feathers came in I began to hand feed them you can purchase the powdered add some baby food sweet potatoes for flavor. You must follow directions for feeding as not to damage the crop. Best of luck

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Hi I raised cockatiels, after about 2 weeks before the feathers came in I began to hand feed them you can purchase the powdered add some baby food sweet potatoes for flavor. You must follow directions for feeding as not to damage the crop. Best of luck
Thanks Melvin20. I have no intentions on breeding them! I just saw them mating and thought a nest box would be nice. They’re young and she sat on the eggs for over 30 days so this is a huge learning experience for me. No more nest box and I have dummy eggs! I’ve Raised Wild babies before and it is a ton of work, they’re always hungry :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
add some baby food sweet potatoes for flavor
Chicks don´t need flavour. They need nutrition.
Young featherless chicks being hand fed should eat only formula. These are specifically designed to give them everything they need, and don´t work to their full potential if you are diluting them with unnessessary things.

@Jossner You know, my eldest girl usually makes me feel bad. She has her dummy eggs, but I have to take them at some point. She usually kicks up a stink, but is fine by the evening. Food works with her, so she get´s lots of millet on the sprig :rolleyes: I take dummy eggs away from her in mornings, that way she has the day to adjust.

Joy222

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joy
Chicks don´t need flavour. They need nutrition.
Young featherless chicks being hand fed should eat only formula. These are specifically designed to give them everything they need, and don´t work to their full potential if you are diluting them with unnessessary things.

@Jossner You know, my eldest girl usually makes me feel bad. She has her dummy eggs, but I have to take them at some point. She usually kicks up a stink, but is fine by the evening. Food works with her, so she get´s lots of millet on the sprig :rolleyes: I take dummy eggs away from her in mornings, that way she has the day to adjust.
Aww your poor baby! My baby girl is being LOUD! Put them to bed early and she is still in a tizzy. Wanted to ask you how you know the difference between real eggs and dummy eggs when the hen lays a new one, do you mark the dummy eggs somehow? Thanks for the help and I actually got around to changing my user name! ~Joy

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aww your poor baby! My baby girl is being LOUD! Put them to bed early and she is still in a tizzy. Wanted to ask you how you know the difference between real eggs and dummy eggs when the hen lays a new one, do you mark the dummy eggs somehow? Thanks for the help and I actually got around to changing my user name! ~Joy
You can tell the difference due to color, weight, and the way they all look identical, but hopefully your bird can’t. My bird has always accepted them.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Super easy to spot the dummies. The real eggs have a little texture, the dummys are smoother. Mine have a little line around them and are slightly more oval than egg shaped, enough for me to notice, but she has no idea :rolleyes: :lol:
If all else fails, shine an LED on them, the yolk will glow inside a real egg :)