• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's home! pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
I may be wrong but I think they are outlawed here in Tennessee..
I found out Sporty's age by his leg band.. I searched and found his Breeder in Florida and found out he is 13 (will be 14 in March 2010)

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi Kathy, yes, they're illegal in TN.
I'm hoping the breeder can tell me his age. I know her by the initials on his band but there is no hatch year on it. I was told he was about 2 years old.

Here are a few pictures of the smaller cage she had him in.

She said the ex boyfriend didn't take him with him because he couldn't have a bird where he was going. Wherever that was. Just the way she said it made me wonder. :rolleyes:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He is very cute and is so ready to be loved. Big congrats!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Congrats it sounds like he has just been waiting for someone to love him. I am so glad you decided to go and get him

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks everyone, I love him already.

Yes, it's like he's been waiting for someone to take him and love him to bits. He's so tame to have not been handled for that long.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I'm hoping the breeder can tell me his age. I know her by the initials on his band but there is no hatch year on it. I was told he was about 2 years old.

She said the ex boyfriend didn't take him with him because he couldn't have a bird where he was going. Wherever that was. Just the way she said it made me wonder. :rolleyes:

from the looks of it he's been in it for a good while? - i wouldn't even put a budgie in that cage

as for her b/f Nope can't take birds to jail with ya :hehe: not that that is where he is or anything lol

but i keep telling my b/f that To keep him out of trouble.... because I can't do anything with Billy, I can't even get close to his cage little lone touch it w/out him coming after me... so I keep reminding him every time when he says "i'm telling them i am doing jail time instead of probation" i keep saying Oooh no your not your not leaving me alone with him for the next 60 days are you out of your mind ? you'll just spend 180 days on probation and keep ur butt outta trouble! lol

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

That's disgusting, although at least he has a few toys.. a lot of Quakers cages I've seen don't have that many.. still the rust and crap on the bottom surprises me he isn't as sick as a dog.

liltweets

Jogging around the block

from the looks of it he's been in it for a good while? - i wouldn't even put a budgie in that cage

as for her b/f Nope can't take birds to jail with ya :hehe: not that that is where he is or anything lol

but i keep telling my b/f that To keep him out of trouble.... because I can't do anything with Billy, I can't even get close to his cage little lone touch it w/out him coming after me... so I keep reminding him every time when he says "i'm telling them i am doing jail time instead of probation" i keep saying Oooh no your not your not leaving me alone with him for the next 60 days are you out of your mind ? you'll just spend 180 days on probation and keep ur butt outta trouble! lol
She had him in the bigger one with the paint chipping then she put him in the smaller one to bring him to meet me. I think the smaller was probably put up without being cleaned from when he was in it before.

LOL! Kelli. Mine and hubby's same thoughts on where he was going. :hehe: Of course we could be wrong but the way she said it was a big clue.

Yeah, that cage is pretty bad. The one I have him in now is too small, but at least it's clean and safe until I get another one soon.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I know Renae, can you believe the filth? His droppings look good but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some sort of infection? Would they be runny or something?

Droppings also look good for the diet he was on. Urates are white, urine is clear and droppings are green with no diarrhea.

Maybe I should put some ACV or GSE in his water?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
it wouldn't hurt to use the AVC or GSE, even just for precaution reasons

The cage you showed earlier I have the same one or Similar (i know some are taller than others) mine isn't tall but its kinda stubby and fat if that makes any sense

I think it is a nice sized for a single Medium bird who will be out a lot it came in handy when I needed a extra cage to house several budgies they had tons of room even with the toys(some big toys ) now We have a single tiel in it, and she loves it Very roomy for her :) i got the cage with a pair of Lovebirds in it, When I moved them to one of my longer "flight/breeder" cages (not really sure what they're called i see them called both I realized the male Loved to hang up side down and climb all over the "roof" of the cage never did it in the other one.

but some Quakers actually like smaller cages vs. big cage we tried to get Billy to use a Big cage (he'd look like a midget in it) but it freaked him out but caught him going into a Smaller Parakeet cage that i had sitting in the birds room wasn't being used at the time and he didn't want to come out of it LOL

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I know Renae, can you believe the filth? His droppings look good but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some sort of infection? Would they be runny or something?

Droppings also look good for the diet he was on. Urates are white, urine is clear and droppings are green with no diarrhea.

Maybe I should put some ACV or GSE in his water?
They need to be educated on bird health and cleaning. But anyway, if he's sick, he'd start showing symptoms sooner or later - runny poop, fluffing up etc etc. If his poop looks fine now though (sounds like it does from what you said) I'd say he's all good, but having him checked would be a good idea also.

ACV would be good, put that in his water maybe once a day for a couple of days. :)

liltweets

Jogging around the block
it wouldn't hurt to use the AVC or GSE, even just for precaution reasons

The cage you showed earlier I have the same one or Similar (i know some are taller than others) mine isn't tall but its kinda stubby and fat if that makes any sense

I think it is a nice sized for a single Medium bird who will be out a lot it came in handy when I needed a extra cage to house several budgies they had tons of room even with the toys(some big toys ) now We have a single tiel in it, and she loves it Very roomy for her :) i got the cage with a pair of Lovebirds in it, When I moved them to one of my longer "flight/breeder" cages (not really sure what they're called i see them called both I realized the male Loved to hang up side down and climb all over the "roof" of the cage never did it in the other one.

but some Quakers actually like smaller cages vs. big cage we tried to get Billy to use a Big cage (he'd look like a midget in it) but it freaked him out but caught him going into a Smaller Parakeet cage that i had sitting in the birds room wasn't being used at the time and he didn't want to come out of it LOL
Yes, he'll be out a lot. I was thinking of getting another HQ flight, like the ones I have now, but I also read quakers do better in not so big of a cage as the flight. I peaked in on him last night and he was sleeping on the biggest perch. He likes to prop one leg up on the perch behind the big perch and look around. I'll try to get a picture of him doing that.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks Ashley, he is something else. lol

Renae, I'll put some ACV in. I was really surprised to see his droppings were normal. I'm glad she doesn't have any more birds. It's one thing to not know about birds (he was her ex's bird) but everyone knows about nastiness.

I'm going to have him checked most likely this week. I'm going to call today and make an appt. Poor little boy will wonder where he's going in a car this time, but he has to be checked out.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
blee your heart for taking him..he will be a lot better off that is sure.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Deb, my Quaker is in a flight cage and he loves it. It's not too small and it's not too big for him. (though he does like bigger cages like his previous one)

I hate seeing Quakers kept in a small cage, a small enough one you'd not even put a Cockatiel in, nor a budgie, just because they're small it does't mean they should have a small cage. But good luck on your search for a new cage, I'm sure whichever one you get it'll be perfect for him. :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

Yes, he'll be out a lot. I was thinking of getting another HQ flight, like the ones I have now, but I also read quakers do better in not so big of a cage as the flight. I peaked in on him last night and he was sleeping on the biggest perch. He likes to prop one leg up on the perch behind the big perch and look around. I'll try to get a picture of him doing that.

that is true, some times they get more then nippy when in a big cage, but each bird is different, Like Gumby doesn't care what she's in and she doesn't freak out at new stuff she takes right to it , the blue Quakers don't seem to mind new things either. But billy nope it isn't like that and freaks out You can't even walk past the living room with a broom or a box in your hand with out him Freaking out or the nightly trash He's such a scardy cat when it comes to things like that, Yet he's "tough" when it comes to attacking people

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Oh my goodness, he is adorable. And he is SO lucky that he found you. He will be so much happier, and healthier, with you. And so tame...what a bonus! When Chloe, my tiel, lowers her head like that, she wants scritchies, so maybe that is what he is doing. How very very sweet. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.