• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's home! pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Here is my original post about him.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/rehome-highway/5515-i-really-want-help-quaker-pics-him-his-cage.html

We went and got him today. The cage she brought him in was also chipping paint and had rust on it. And man did it stink! Even though it fit in the front of the pickup we put him in the carrier (don't worry, we had the windows up) and put the cage on the back of the truck. It went in the trash. He has been on 3-D seed that looked to be nothing but sunflower seeds. I have Volkman, Roudybush, Zupreem and millet in the cage right now.

He bit me when I was getting him out of the cage to put him in the carrier, but he was just scared.

When I got him home he stepped right out of the carrier and will step up out of the cage. He wanted to come out. He took a few laps around the spare bedroom where he's quarantined. It wore him out, he's not use to being out and flying.

One thing I don't understand that he does is when he steps up he immediately lowers his head and has his beak touching my thumb. I don't know if he's scared? but he wants to step up and be out of the cage.

He gives lots of kisses and for a bird that hasn't been handled in a year he is doing very well!

Here he is laying on his back in my hand! He loves that! :heart:

And a close up

And the only cage I have for him right now until I can order or find another one Craigslist. It's small but at least it's clean and not chipping paint.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations he is cute thanks for sharing

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What a cutie, I'm so glad you got him! Congratulations, he's beautiful.

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
One thing I don't understand that he does is when he steps up he immediately lowers his head and has his beak touching my thumb. I don't know if he's scared? but he wants to step up and be out of the cage.
He's cute. Not sure if it applies to you and him, but when TJ steps up, when he dips his head (which he does alot) he wants his head rubbed. That's TJ's fav. thing.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Some birds use their beaks to hold onto you while they step-up.

He's absolutely adorable and the biggest cutie! I really wanted a green Quaker too, so you're extra lucky. Congrats on finally getting him home, the cage is fine by the way! :hug8:

Kathy

awww he's so cute! I'm so glad you got him. :)

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Thanks everyone. He is so big! Bigger than any of the three quakers a friend of mine has.

He doesn't grab onto my finger when he steps up, just lowers his head. Maybe he does want scritches. He'd let me do that all night if I would. :heart:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Here is my original post about him.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/rehome-highway/5515-i-really-want-help-quaker-pics-him-his-cage.html

We went and got him today. The cage she brought him in was also chipping paint and had rust on it. And man did it stink! Even though it fit in the front of the pickup we put him in the carrier (don't worry, we had the windows up) and put the cage on the back of the truck. It went in the trash. He has been on 3-D seed that looked to be nothing but sunflower seeds. I have Volkman, Roudybush, Zupreem and millet in the cage right now.

He bit me when I was getting him out of the cage to put him in the carrier, but he was just scared.

When I got him home he stepped right out of the carrier and will step up out of the cage. He wanted to come out. He took a few laps around the spare bedroom where he's quarantined. It wore him out, he's not use to being out and flying.

He gives lots of kisses and for a bird that hasn't been handled in a year he is doing very well!

Here he is laying on his back in my hand! He loves that! :heart:

And a close up

And the only cage I have for him right now until I can order or find another one Craigslist. It's small but at least it's clean and not chipping paint.

Oh my gosh, he is so adorable. I'm so glad you got him. I love the picture of him on his back. Quakers are not legal in California so I have never seen one in person. He is really cute. The cage will be fine until you get him a bigger one. At least it's clean and safe and he is getting good food and attention. I can't wait to hear what you name him:):heart:

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
What a cutie!!:heart: Congrats and thank you for taking him out of that situation!:hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hmm, maybe he is wanting scritches then. The only time Keiko lowers his head is when he wants scritches.

yep, i believe its a testing the perching strength thing
Big beaks, big harder testers, lol. :hehe:

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Congrats on the new Quaker.
What a sweetie!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
he's adorable that cage is actually pretty good I have one :) I've housed a couple budgies in it, a pair of lovebirds came in it, and now a tiel is in it

I see he has a leg band on :D that's good specially with Quakers when they are NOT banned your limited to where you can live (if you ever plan on moving)

mine usually lower their head when they step up, not all the time but a good portion of the time

in his case since he hasn't been out for a while. it may help him to stabilize his self? he may be unsure of the sturdiness of your hand since he hasn't been handled in a long time

birdman78

Real Name
John
I see he has a leg band on :D that's good specially with Quakers when they are NOT banned your limited to where you can live (if you ever plan on moving)
What does this matter? As far I know the band is breader specific? Once they leave the breader, the band is uselss? Am I missing something?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

What does this matter? As far I know the band is breader specific? Once they leave the breader, the band is uselss? Am I missing something?
Quakers are outlawed in many states, Many states have STRICT regulations on them , with most being they must have a close leg band on them , Some have no regulations, and One state has the regulation that Quakers must be clipped at all times

it is the law, if they are found in a state that requires leg bands w/out them they will be taken and euthanize, same as if they're found in a state they are outlawed in

and bands is what helps you identify your bird if it is lost or stolen rather it is a Quaker or not if you don't have proof the bird is yours (pictures do not do) then you won't get a lost/found bird back because there is NO hard core proof

now if its missing a toe, or plucked etc. You have a better chance

but if its in Perfect condition there is no proof its yours since there are thousands that look just like it

bands ARE NOT USELESS i don't know why ppl think they are

birdman78

Real Name
John
Quakers are outlawed in many states, Many states have STRICT regulations on them , with most being they must have a close leg band on them , Some have no regulations, and One state has the regulation that Quakers must be clipped at all times

it is the law, if they are found in a state that requires leg bands w/out them they will be taken and euthanize, same as if they're found in a state they are outlawed in

and bands is what helps you identify your bird if it is lost or stolen rather it is a Quaker or not if you don't have proof the bird is yours (pictures do not do) then you won't get a lost/found bird back because there is NO hard core proof

now if its missing a toe, or plucked etc. You have a better chance

but if its in Perfect condition there is no proof its yours since there are thousands that look just like it

bands ARE NOT USELESS i don't know why ppl think they are
Thanks for the great info. Didn't know that. So for the Quakers, if they have a band, the state knows that they were broght in illegally? Is no one band the same? (guessing like a VIN of a car)

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
He's so cute and pretty! I am glad you rescued him from that horrible cage! He looks like he'll be your best buddy in no time :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

Thanks for the great info. Didn't know that. So for the Quakers, if they have a band, the state knows that they were broght in illegally? Is no one band the same? (guessing like a VIN of a car)
no one leg band is the same it's like their social security number / ID NUMBER what ever you want to call it

and no it doesn't mean they were brought in illegally I have 2 Quakers with bands 2 with out, SO I can't move to any state that has a law that Quakers have to have a leg band on, Or My 2 w/out would be taken from me and killed If i got caught

Quakers caused (and in some area still are) A lot of troubles when they were brought to a Quarantine station if i remember it was in California (they are outlawed there now) they got loose and they are HARDY birds, they live in the wild build their humongous nests on power lines and eat crops from farmers So they're out lawed in a lot of states

Laws where they can or can't be and lists the regulations some states have that allow them

State Laws for Quaker Parakeets
one page that talks about them being out lawed in some states
Why are Quaker Parrots Illegal in Some States | QuakerParrots.com

liltweets

Jogging around the block

in his case since he hasn't been out for a while. it may help him to stabilize his self? he may be unsure of the sturdiness of your hand since he hasn't been handled in a long time
I bet that's it, Kelli. He seems a little unsure.

I don't know what to name him yet, I am going to change his name though. So far I'm thinking of the way he looks, huge! lol and he loves kisses and scratches. Oh, and he loves to nuzzle up under my chin. Something will come to me. I'd like it to be gender neutral in case he's actually a she. Throw some names at me if y'all want! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.