• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Herbal supplements + pellets

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

I recently added Roudybush Daily Maintenance to my GCC's diet. Before the addition, I had been feeding Zupreem Natural, Lafeber's nutri-berries, Twin Beaks Herb Salad, and DMG supplement in her chop. I also have a couple Herbal RX liquid supplements from Avitec that I haven't opened yet.

I noticed that the instructions on the Roudybush package says that we should not feed additional vitamin/mineral supplements, as this is a complete diet. Is it a bad idea to continue feeding my GCC the herb salad and the DMG supplement? She's been having infection after infection since July, so I wanted to boost her immune system, but I also don't want to overdo the supplements and cause more health problems. Thank you for your help!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Continue the DMG. I give my birds pellets (Caitec) and DMG. As for the herb salad, not sure, although I used to use that when I was feeding Zupreem. Stopped using the herb salad, though. You might just want to give the herb salad a few times a week and not daily. If you are giving her the herb salad, though, don't use the liquid supplements. Hope she feels better soon.
Is she on any medication prescribed by a vet?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They don't want you to add any artificial vitamins usually because then your bird can overdose on them, specifically things that are fat soluble. All of the pellet manufacturers warn against this.

I would not hesitate to keep offering herb salad. I believe the Herbal Rx should be fine too as they aren't adding vitamins usually. What is DMG and the purpose of it?

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
Continue the DMG. I give my birds pellets (Caitec) and DMG. As for the herb salad, not sure, although I used to use that when I was feeding Zupreem. Stopped using the herb salad, though. You might just want to give the herb salad a few times a week and not daily. If you are giving her the herb salad, though, don't use the liquid supplements. Hope she feels better soon.
Is she on any medication prescribed by a vet?
She's on hydroxyzine for allergies. I give it to her in her water.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope she will be better soon. Do continue the DMG but don't double dip on the herbs. JMHO

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
They don't want you to add any artificial vitamins usually because then your bird can overdose on them, specifically things that are fat soluble. All of the pellet manufacturers warn against this.

I would not hesitate to keep offering herb salad. I believe the Herbal Rx should be fine too as they aren't adding vitamins usually. What is DMG and the purpose of it?
DMG is pretty much an immune booster. I give it to her in hopes that she'll be able to get out of this vicious cycle of infections.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most pellets have that statement about feeding supplements while eating pelleted foods. Roudybush is not a food I feed my birds any more because of the fillers in it such as corn. Take a look at the Goldenfeast foods. They are awesome.

New Food | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah I wouldn't double up on the herbs either, and some herbs DO interact with medicines. So I would make sure to talk to your vet about any possible interactions that will make the medicine inaffective.

Goldenfeast is not a complete food and cannot replace a pellet as it is missing vital nutrients like Vitamin D3

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
Yeah I wouldn't double up on the herbs either, and some herbs DO interact with medicines. So I would make sure to talk to your vet about any possible interactions that will make the medicine inaffective.

Goldenfeast is not a complete food and cannot replace a pellet as it is missing vital nutrients like Vitamin D3
I've tried switching her to Harrison's, but she absolutely refuses to eat it. She literally threw tantrums by flinging the pellets all over the room and staged hunger strikes LOL. She accepted Roudybush pretty much immediately, and I also wanted to give TOPs pellets a try, but I know that TOPs isn't a "complete" diet either. I have been decreasing the amount of pellets she's eating by offering more fresh food each day, and I hope to add sprouts soon so pellets/nutri-berries make up less than 50% of her diet.

As for the vet, I've actually discussed what I should do to boost her immune system. He's aware that she ate primarily Zupreem Natural pellets, Nutri-berries, and chop, and said that it was ok to try out things like DMG and herb salad. I'll give them a call tomorrow to confirm that this is still ok after adding Roudybush pellets to her diet.

chris_tina

Meeting neighbors
Most pellets have that statement about feeding supplements while eating pelleted foods. Roudybush is not a food I feed my birds any more because of the fillers in it such as corn. Take a look at the Goldenfeast foods. They are awesome.

New Food | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
It definitely gets really confusing. I want to make sure she gets the nutrients she needs in order to stop her chronic infections, but I also don't want to overload her with supplements and cause horrible things like kidney or liver damage. Goldenfeast pellets seem to have some great ingredients, and getting vitamin D isn't a problem in my area... I live in sunny SoCal!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine rejected Harrison’s also. Major hunger strike! And I had purchased 40 or 50 pounds, so I use it in bird bread.

I do Roudybush and TOPS, they love TOPS. To me it smells like alfalfa. And I sometimes feed caitech, and a lot of Goldenfeast. I swear I could snack on Goldenfeast!