• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEO!!!!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
christian
i think my sun conure is sick he is 4 months old and he is bobing his head up and dowen slow and flaps his wings and his feathers are fluffed he is acting weird please help:(:eek::sad11:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi, you should post this in Bird Emergency Highway 911 to get quicker responses. I hope he is ok but I think you need to bring him to a vet.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Are (or did) you doing any handfeeding?

Almost sounds like a baby begging to me, and at 4 months, it's something I'd not be surprised to see, even if weaned.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like begging to me as well! If you are concerned, I would see a vet

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I vote for begging. Try feeding him some just slightly warm organic, no sugar added baby food (carrots work good) from a baby spoon. Do this immediately and if that doesn't stop it, head to the vet immediately. Unless your Vet is an Avian Vet, he/she may not know what a begging baby looks like.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Hi I breed parrots and yes this sounds like a hungry begging motion. Like someone suggested try feeding him something warm from a spoon, or even soak up som pellets in hot water and when soft offer some with your fingers.

LEO!!!!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
christian
thanks if feeding him doesent work i'll take him to the vet right away thank hugs to all of you:hug8:

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Hey I went to pet store and the Sun Conure was doing the same thing he was just been weaned from being hand feed make sure your bird is eating give him some fresh fruit like apple,orange,carrots smash it up make it like oatmeal consistency that is what the pet people were feeding the Sun I was told by them. I would get him pellet food to try not to get him hook on just seed diet.

LEO!!!!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
christian
i have one more question what is a begging motion like he still is eating seeds but he's been acting like a baby bird this is he's secend day:huh:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can also boil some white potatoes and mash with soymilk to a runny consistency. Also runny oatmeal will work but do not feed cream of wheat as it will harden in his tummy. If he stops the behavior you will need to get some real handfeeding formula and continue to give him comfort feedings until he weans himself. The worse thing you can do is not feed a begging baby, it set's them up for a life time of insecurity. Your breeder should have given you a baggie full of handfeeding formula as babies tend to regress in a new place. You can call the breeder and see if you can get some to tide you over until you can buy some of your own.

I also agree with everybody else, if the behavior does not stop, to the vet he goes ASAP.

Ginger

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
It means he is begging for "baby food", formula. Do you have any experience with hand feeding?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In the wild, even when a baby is fledged and weaned, they still beg for feedings from the parrots. Many young birds request comfort feedings when in a new home :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can feed from a spoon or drip from your finger, don't syringe feed unless you know what your doing or you could aspirate the baby, which means the food goes into his lungs and not his tummy. This could be fatal so take your time and give it to him slowly.

Ginger

LEO!!!!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
christian
ok thanks and no i've never had experience with hand feeding so thats why this is my secend parrot
:)

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
You need to contact the person or petshop you got him from, he is obviously hungry and not eating enough on his own. He needs then to be fed "handfeeding formula" some babies are fed with a spoon and others with a syringe. You can usually pick up handfeeding formula from a petshop, follow the directions on the packaging and try feeding with a small baby spoon if he will accept this, it needs to be the right temperature otherwise he wont want it or if he does it could cause crop problems if too cold or too hot. Some babies will take longer to wean then others and some regress when they go to a new home and need it as a comfort for awhile.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm curious about your mentioning his eating his 'seeds'. What is his diet like? What are you feeding him besides seeds (if anything else)?

If this is only his second day with you, I'd definitely vote for a lonely baby begging for some comfort food.

All the advice on giving him some soft warm food (from fingers or a spoon) is spot on. You may want to keep offering him some for the next few days and see how he does. Many of us new baby owners have to do this with our little ones when we bring them home.

I'd not put him back on formula, nor try and syringe feed! It's really not hard to supplement his food with some feeding by hand.

Any photos of him? I'd love to see your new baby!

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
It also sounds to me like he is begging for food. I am wondering if he was forced weaned. A bird who is force weaned tends to want to feed more. The new home and environment could be prompting it as well because for a baby, the food gives them comfort.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
sometimes birds in new homes regress from weaning. they were weaned prior to selling or going to their new home but the stress of the move causes them to regress. a lot of times they are looking for comfort feedings if they are still eating on their own while begging. i would offer some food to him as mentioned by spoon. regression can happen with any weaning technique and any method of raising (parent raised, handfed, etc)

LEO!!!!

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
christian
no like this is his second day begging for food i've had him for 3 months now. and he eats fruits and seeds and some veggies he still continue's to eat and i gave him some banana today he didn't eat much of it but now he is not fluffed up any more he is just flapping his wings and make's some weird noise like a squeak :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.