• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
My baby boy has finally reached the nipping stage how do I teach him from biting me everyone I pick him up

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is he trying to tell you he doesn't want picked up? If he doesn't have to be picked up- as in like he doesn't need to go back to his cage, etc., I wouldn't pick him up if he doesn't want to be doing that. If you do need to pick him up and he's biting, I would start teaching him to step up on a perch. If it's hands in general that he has a problem with, you can work on things like hand feeding him treats so he sees hands aren't scary.

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
No it’s none of that I offer my finger for step up he loves being held it’s just while he’s on my finger he bites my fingers rather hard not like a playful bite

brdprncess

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Alena
Invest in some toys that satisfy his urge to bite (soft wood sola balls, foraging toys) and let him have them while out. I've seen people advice against it, but giving a gentle shake of your hand to redirect his attention when he bites can help. The best way to prevent biting from becoming a habit is by preventing it from happening - maybe he doesn't want to hang out on your hand anymore and would rather a perch stand or on your chest. It's sort of rare I think that many birds like to sit on the hand for long periods of time anyways.

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
All of the above. Also try not to let him intimate you with nipping. I tried many things with my conure and the thing that really worked for me was not reacting (sounds easier said than done I know). The less you react the less likely he is going to bite. Distraction. I would keep wooden pop sticks right next to me, when he would bite I'd slide one into his beak gently. He would then take out his nipness on those instead.

Jay

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
My baby boy has finally reached the nipping stage how do I teach him from biting me everyone I pick him up
I forgot to mention this last night, as I saw your post right before I was going to bed. During this time of his development, once you get past the nipping, try to cuddle him as much as possible. Have him lie upside down in your hand, pet his wings, give him lots of scritches on his head, preen him, introduce him to either the shower (with a shower perch) or large bowls to take baths in, talk to him like a small child (he will learn words and associate them), give him a large variety of foods to try so he doesn't become a picky eater, as others said make sure he has lots of different types of toys (my Gold Cap likes puzzle toys the most!), try giving him drops of juice with a dropper so if you have to give him medication later it will be so much easier, everything you give to him now will become part of who he is for the rest of his life. I was stunned by how much my conure has learned over his 20 years. He enjoys everything I introduced to him when he was at your guy's point.

Best of luck!

Jay

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for all the info i do give him different foods every week he loves fruits vegetables grains and i also started giving beans and I’ve always give pellets (I started that a week after I got him) he just started going on to my shoulder and peening me he loves scratches I do give him different kinds of toys and change them every two weeks and he loves bathing in a big bowl that he has and what juice would you recommend for me to him

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
My conure goes crazy for carrot juice; but it doesn't need to be exotic like that. He loves 100% apple, orange, and grape juice as well. Occasionally I will try him to some fresh mango or papaya juice, but that is a rarity. It really helps to have them trained to take fluids from droppers so you don't have to towel them up to give them medications. Plus if they need meds you can mix it with juice if the vet okays it. So when they are not feeling well they think they are getting extra love and treats!

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
I will definitely try to give juice does it have to be organic or anything

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Well, I recommend organic for all bird foods due to the amount of pesticides they use in the production of all fruits and veggies. Keeps the birds safe from fungicides as well. You can find most in any grocery store. Some juices I haven't been able to find organic varieties of so my guy only gets the concessional sip if I am having some.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think I’d stuck to veggies rather than juice. Juice is a lot of sugar for people much less birds.

I think your bird is learning about his beak and needs to learn that bites hurt and are not ok.

If he bites you put him down and turn your back to him.

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
I think I’d stuck to veggies rather than juice. Juice is a lot of sugar for people much less birds.

I think your bird is learning about his beak and needs to learn that bites hurt and are not ok.

I believe he is just learning about his beak as well he’s just a baby and thank you for the advice each time he bit me I put him down and turned around I hope it works because his bites really hurt he likes to go for my fingers

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

This is the best thing to do they need to learn how to control that beak, one of mine beaks me all of the time when playing and has done from a baby but initially it hurt.

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
This is the best thing to do they need to learn how to control that beak, one of mine beaks me all of the time when playing and has done from a baby but initially it hurt.
It didn’t hurt at first but I guess I didn’t give the reaction he wanted to he started doing it harder

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It didn’t hurt at first but I guess I didn’t give the reaction he wanted to he started doing it harder
They arent generally looking for a reaction when babys they are just exploring, think of your finger as a perch or a tree branch these little things chew wood for fun.
You have just got to teach the little one bite the wood not the finger by doing as advised above put your bird down saying No biting and ignore your bird, its also good to have a simple toy to get between your finger and the beak at the same time you are introducing toys.

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
I’ve tried the toy in hand but he just goes straight to my finger but I will not give up I don’t want to deprive him of me holding and giving him love cus I was scared to pick him up

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
He sounds like a rascal. How hard is he biting? Are we talking making you bleed? Or just making your finger hurt from the pressure? Is he grasping and holding on when he bites? Or is it a quick nip? Don't be scared, you will get through this stage with him. Tikal (my conure) bit me a drew blood the very first time I picked him up at his old home; however he turned out to be the sweetest bird in the world.

Swontavia

Meeting neighbors
Nothing that made me bleed just hard squeezes somebody said my finger is like his perch and birds chew on their perches so he probably isn’t even really aware that it hurts me he just a baby probably no older than 4 or 5 months to he probably just figuring out how his beak works

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve tried the toy in hand but he just goes straight to my finger but I will not give up I don’t want to deprive him of me holding and giving him love cus I was scared to pick him up
You need to take a step back and slow down. Dont force things allow him to lead the way if he wants to get on your hand let him if he bites put him down bird safe area and repeat it wont sort the problem out straight away you need to persist.
Dont think you are depriving your bird by not holding him birds are very different than animals such as dogs and dont need to be touched or cuddled to conect with you, lots of talking getting to know each other is the best way.
I have had a conure for near two years been on my hand maybe 40 times always on her terms, my other conure we finger wrestle i pick her up hand round her when we are playing,she kisses me.

Yes the dynamic is different as i have two birds ( i had one once )

Do some target training step up training spend time with him no preassure on him or you.

Also saw in the thread fruit juice dont to high in sugar and sticky.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
You know puppies have to learn bite pressure training, too, when they’re teething. But we are more familiar with training puppies. It’s the same with baby parrots. Mouthing or nibbling is ok. Cutting or pinching hard with the beak is not.