• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!

Hatzegop

Checking out the neighborhood
After my budgie’s mate has died he has become depressed but he is showing signs of a sleepy bird, like tucking his head into his back.
I don’t know if this is normal for a grieving budgie and I’m already concerned for him.
If you have any other questions regarding the matter please ask me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What did your other bird die from?

Hatzegop

Checking out the neighborhood
What did your other bird die from?
Sorry I put it down wrong, we decided to put down at the vets because they said that the treatment to help her would have been ineffective; she was also barely hanging onto life she was that sick.
She was ill with avian gastric yeast infection and she a cagemate with him.
The vets told us that they didn’t believe they shouldn’t further anything more for him so they just sent us home with him.
I asked my mom if we could do a faecal test for AGY but the mom said otherwise because of what the avian vets said, saying that it was “because of her mutation”.
He is grieving currently but I don’t know if this was because he didn’t get enough sleep, it is apart pf the grieving process or it is something more than that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Avian Gastric Yeast is extremely contagious, and can be easily transferred to cagemates through sharing food or contact with their feces.

I would not be complacent and believe it is from depression. I've gone through depression with my birds twice and though they were quieter and less active for a bit, they did not sleep more or appear ill.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree; I’d have your budgie checked out. I’ve seen a grieving budgie & he had none of the lethargic symptoms you describe.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Totally agree with Mizzely.

When my female budgie died my budgie boy didn’t appear lethargic, he didn’t sleep more, he literally had no changes other than switching between being very quiet and then calling for his deceased mate.

Your bird sounds like an unwell bird, not a grieving bird.