• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Xyla might be sick!

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It looks like Xyla hasn't touched her water in a while and her poops are very watery. I did a home health exam and I checked the elasticity of her skin where her eyelid is, it took way too long to fall back into place. I'm worried she is dehydrated. I have a heat lamp on her now, I've changed her water, and I've been trying to get her to drink off my fingers. Her behavior is normal, she's eating as much as usual if not more. I'm considering taking her to the vet. Anyone have any experience with dehydration in parrots? I've heard its caused by illness.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You probably (for sure) need to get her to the vet. Dehydration rarely stops by itself and if she has a fungal or bacterial infection, she will need medication. Keep trying to get water into her.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Can you take her to an emergency vet?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm trying to get a referral for a vet but there really isn't much in terms of avian vets in my area. I'm just wondering what caused this in the first place.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
infection most likely

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If she is eating, does she eat any mash or cooked foods? Cooked foods can be moistened with water, coconut water great fir hydration. But most importantly if you can get her to a Vet that would be the best overall. Possibly a broad spectrum antibiotic surely won't hurt. But get some moist food in her. You can soak pellets, cook quinoa, one of my favorites is the Quicko brand egg food. How old is your bird and was it hand fed? Sometimes a bird may take hand feeding formula. Easy to get at a pet store to give that a try. Just need to get a small syringe. Just to get enough on her tongue and see how that goes.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can also try pomegranate juice...

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
If she is eating, does she eat any mash or cooked foods? Cooked foods can be moistened with water, coconut water great fir hydration. But most importantly if you can get her to a Vet that would be the best overall. Possibly a broad spectrum antibiotic surely won't hurt. But get some moist food in her. You can soak pellets, cook quinoa, one of my favorites is the Quicko brand egg food. How old is your bird and was it hand fed? Sometimes a bird may take hand feeding formula. Easy to get at a pet store to give that a try. Just need to get a small syringe. Just to get enough on her tongue and see how that goes.
She's 11 months old, she won't eat anything other than seed. I've tried chopped fruits and veggies but she'll only eat them dried hidden amongst her seed. I've tried hand feeding formula (she was hand-fed) but she just let's it run off her beak, she'll accept water when I give it to her but I've been watching her very carefully and she won't drink anything on her own.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How is she doing now?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
She's doing a lot better. I talked to a vet she thinks it's something to do with her all seed diet, I'm going to continue to try and feed her new things despite her hate of all things new. I'm still watching her water in take though, she really had me worried. :shakehead: I'm also keeping heat on her for a few days to be safe. Thanks for your help and concern other bird parents :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all will be well with Xyla. You might try eating some fruits and vegetables while sitting next to her. Perhaps seeing you eat those things might motivate her. Have you weighed her? Good idea to monitor her weight.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You could try to give her nutriberries and gradually transition her to pellets.
Coconut water is a great idea.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I cannot tell to well from your avatar if she is a parrotlet? Or a canary winged parakeet? Moist foods are going to be the best bet. You don't have to do a chop but you can do a mash. One of the best foods for stressed and egg laying birds is the egg food. Quicko makes a brand and so does Higgins. It has some seed in it primarily hemp and I think thistle. But its an egg based bready crumble you mix with water or juice. My parrotlet pigged out on that all the time. You can add in amaranth, flax seed crushed up, cooked couscous and quinoa. Also millet that is unshelled too.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
You could try to give her nutriberries and gradually transition her to pellets.
Coconut water is a great idea.

Lafabres also makes "Pellet Berries". It will get more pellets into her. I believe they are 80% pellet. Our Bird Store does not carry them nut Amazon has them.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Pellet berries are great.
If you decide to try it, I suggest you order direct from the Lafeber Co. to assure freshness. The product is moist and tender so it is susceptible spoilage if a vendor does not store properly (from personal experience).

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Update: Xyla is doing fine, thanks again for all your advice. She did lose a bit of weight but not too much to be concerning. I plan to go out and get some of the foods you all mentioned. We did have some success with a bit of apple but she did not eat very much of it. I'm hoping to find something she can't resist.