• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help sex my Indian Ring neck!

alex d

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alex
I have a green Indian Ringneck, who is about 18-ish months old. I'm not sure what its sex is, and i know they don't get their ring (if they are male), until they are 2-3 years old. He paces in his cage and jumps on the side and moves his head from side to side a lot when he wants something to eat like a fruit, and is extremely loud in the morning. He doesn't do anything when in front of a mirror, he just looks at it in his normal stance. There will be a picture of it below, could anyone identify its sex? i know i can get it DNA sexed but i live ages away from a vet that do it. his tail was very long, longer than its body, but the two long tail feathers fell off recently so his tail is half the length of what it used to be (they where blue tail feathers)
Thanks
Alex 13161041_580501542125702_1616646833_o.jpg

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
The ring can start to appear at around 17 months and this can take two moults to reach its full colouration. However, it is possible to sex your ringneck prior to 17 months old through behaviour and physical differences between the male and female.

Behaviour; The males will display by opening his wing slightly into a heart shape, bow and pin his eyes as he does this. Place a mirror in front of the parrot and see if it will display. Females usually display by clucking and tilting back their heads.

The physical differences are;

Some Female ringnecks can develop a slight green neck ring.
Male ringnecks have thinner feet than the females and also a slightly longer tail.
Females are stockier then the male and their beaks are not as prominent.
Males have a squarer head and the check colours are more vibrant.

Except for Lutino and albino IRN this technique can work well.
It takes an experience eye to sex ringnecks by sight and this can still not be a 100% accurate.
Only the DNA test is !00% accurate.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cute little one. :)

My strictly unscientific guess is that you have a girl there.

Remember, my guesses are only about half-right...;)

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
Behaviour; The males will display by opening his wing slightly into a heart shape, bow and pin his eyes as he does this.

My Alex does this to ask for things !! Very cool that its something they do naturally and he trained people to do what he wanted on his display.

Miguel.w

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Miguel W.
If you would like to know the sex of your Ringie, you can order a DNA sexing kit online for usually $15-20 depending where you order it. All you do when you receive the kit is send back a feather or blood sample, then play the waiting game. The company then tests the samples and usually get back to you in a week or so. P.S. your ringneck is beautiful! Looks a lot like my new baby, Yoshi!