• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Help my baby bird is vomiting

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Heyo!
I'm new here and just rescued 2 baby green Indian Ring neck parrots last week ... About 3 weeks old now (at most).... No feathers(obviously) .

My question is I have tried my best to care for them( the usual research on Google)... Went through a few tantrums... Got them to eat from a syringe.... Etc etc etc. But the older one among the 2 has suddenly started regurgitating a lot today(not vomiting, it was a clear stream of their favourite bird food coming out as if from a waterfall).

Now idk if I should be worried about this coz nothing has changed since he got here between day 1 and 10 ... He's barely a fledgling and is just dumping out most of his food.

Well maybe one thing has changed... A friend rescued 3 other parrots (older than a month) yesterday and he gave them to us... Now my young dude just looks at one of the 3 and starts regurgitating.

Idk what's going on ... Please help

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think you should be worried. There's nothing normal about a waterfall of fluid or food coming out of a young bird. Can you please fill in everything about how you are housing this baby with the sibling. And when you say 'dumping out most of his food'... what do you mean exactly? How are you feeding them? With what? What are the three other parrots? How old are they? Did you put them in with the other two you already have? This is downright scary. Any of those birds could have a disease and putting the new ones with the other two could be a disaster in spreading a serious health issue that could be easily contagious and transmitted.

Where are all these babies coming from? Breeders giving them away? What do you consider a rescue?

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
I think you should be worried. There's nothing normal about a waterfall of fluid or food coming out of a young bird. Can you please fill in everything about how you are housing this baby with the sibling. And when you say 'dumping out most of his food'... what do you mean exactly? How are you feeding them? With what? What are the three other parrots? How old are they? Did you put them in with the other two you already have? This is downright scary. Any of those birds could have a disease and putting the new ones with the other two could be a disaster in spreading a serious health issue that could be easily contagious and transmitted.

Where are all these babies coming from? Breeders giving them away? What do you consider a rescue?
Wow dude calm down ...

1. I figured it out... He's trying to feed the other bird... Made a video of him doing that.
Still no idea why though but he's only regurgitating when he sees the other one...

2. Since I'm stuck in quarantine with no shops selling birb foob for miles I made something at home and have been feeding them with it ... It was made after ALOT of research online and after consulting an online vet.

3. They are kept in a clean environment with a sizable cage ... Optimum temp is maintained with .

4. I already told you they are around 3 weeks old

5.dumping out most of his food was a bit of an overcoated exaggeration ... Sorry ( Well it freaked me out first)

6. The 2 siblings and the 3 new ones are being kept separately but get together on our bed to play(which is when lil ol' boy decides to offer a lil treat)

7. The other 3 are also Indian Ring necks

8. And finally What Is A Rescue?

What I meant by the term rescue was saving them from death or in their cases... A snake and an Asian monitor lizard ... You see where I live there is an abundance of these bad boys everywhere... They fill the sky with their sweet voices and make nests in the hollows of trees ... Till before the quarantine this place was a very active and busy place... The forest ... The park ... The road ... Just people everywhere ... But now there isn't a soul to be seen which has somehow lead to an increase in these attacks by these vicious creatures ... I can't tell you how many babies I've seen fall prey to these monsters even before they saw what their momma looked like ( before their eyes opened), So me and the boys decided we'd had enough of this and that we were gonna save em if and when we could... Both sets of birds lost their parents and a sibling in the attacks... It's just scary and I have managed to successfully save about 13 birbs till now...

Thanks for your concern

Let me know what you think

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Update...

What the frick is going on?

At first it was just one , now it's both of them and their even regurgitating on each other and on ME !

WHAT IS HAPPENING?
should I be concerned?
Wow dude calm down ...

1. I figured it out... He's trying to feed the other bird... Made a video of him doing that.
Still no idea why though but he's only regurgitating when he sees the other one...

2. Since I'm stuck in quarantine with no shops selling birb foob for miles I made something at home and have been feeding them with it ... It was made after ALOT of research online and after consulting an online vet.

3. They are kept in a clean environment with a sizable cage ... Optimum temp is maintained with .

5.dumping out most of his food was a bit of an overcoated exaggeration ... Sorry ( Well it freaked me out first)

6. The 2 siblings and the 3 new ones are being kept separately but get together on our bed to play(which is when lil ol' boy decides to offer a lil treat)

What I meant by the term rescue was saving them from death or in their cases... A snake and an Asian monitor lizard ... You see where I live there is an abundance of these bad boys everywhere... They fill the sky with their sweet voices and make nests in the hollows of trees ... Till before the quarantine this place was a very active and busy place... The forest ... The park ... The road ... Just people everywhere ... But now there isn't a soul to be seen which has somehow lead to an increase in these attacks by these vicious creatures ... I can't tell you how many babies I've seen fall prey to these monsters even before they saw what their momma looked like ( before their eyes opened), So me and the boys decided we'd had enough of this and that we were gonna save em if and when we could... Both sets of birds lost their parents and a sibling in the attacks... It's just scary and I have managed to successfully save about 13 birbs till now...

Thanks for your concern

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its hard to advise over the internet. I'd say you have three likely possibilities. The first is that they are sick and need vet care. Possibly a fungal or bacterial infection. I can't help you with that one. Only you know if you have access to a vet and are willing/able to take them.
The second possibility is that they are reaching the age where they normally don't want as much to eat and you are over feeding them. I've had babies at that age chug for formula like they are starving and then suddenly stop and let it dribble everywhere. They may even regurgitate a little.
The third is that they are actually trying to feed each other. I find this one unlikely because they are so young. But, I've never raised ringnecks before either, so I don't know.
My advice would be to see a vet, have a culture and sensitivity done on the crop and see if anything pathogenic grows.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow dude calm down ...

Thanks for your concern

1. Baby birds at 3 to 3 1/2 weeks don't try to feed one another. One chick may grab the beak of the other seeking food as they would a parent bird and it triggers a feeding response in the other chick. They're probably hungry and ready to be fed.

2. You may have researched online for a recipe to make for feeding but still, we have no idea what those ingredients are since you didn't include them in your reply. Whatever it is, it's vastly different from what they were fed from their parents and could cause vomiting because it's a sudden change in food. Which, in your case is not avoidable considering the situation you are currently in. Feed smaller amounts more frequently and don't overfill the crop - which could also cause vomiting. Could you share the ingredients of your homemade formula?

3. If the babies are naked as you said in your first post (no feathers) I would suggest a clean container instead of a cage to keep them warm at a temperature of at least 85 degrees Fahrenheit or 31 degrees Celsius. If you have a digital thermometer to set inside the container to monitor the inside temp of the container that would be ideal. If you have access to a heating pad you can Place it underneath the container -only under one half of the container so if the babies get too warm they can move to the other side of the container to get away from the heat source ) wrapped in a towel on the lowest setting. On the inside of the container fill it with 3 inches thickness of clean wood shavings ( aspen works great) and if you have no access to the shavings use clean NON-printed shredded paper. Babies on a flat surface can develop splayed legs so this is why the shavings or paper are essential. Here's an image for you to see what I mean:

3 Basic Parts to a Brooder

Baby Parrot Brooder 1

The temperature you keep them in is important. Chilled chicks are not able to digest the food in their crop properly when they get cold. This can result in the food sitting in the crop longer = bacterial / fungal growth on the food, which can result in the vomiting and chicks become critical. At this stage they need veterinary assistance to culture the vomit to prescribe the appropriate antibiotic.

The temperature of the formula is extremely important. The best method is to use a digital thermometer ( for the food only and separate from the one used inside the container) The temperature of the formula needs to be 105-107 degrees Fahrenheit or 40-42 degrees Celsius. Cooler temps of formula will also cause slow digestion, the food in the crop can ferment, grow bacteria and will result in a critical need to be seen by a veterinarian. Read about sour crop.

I realize you are in another country and at this time may have limited resources. I ask a LOT of questions to best help you to help the babies. It would be nice to know all the current stats of what you currently have the babies in, along with your current temperatures the babies are in and the exact temperature of the formula you feed at including the ingredients of your homemade formula.

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
1. Baby birds at 3 to 3 1/2 weeks don't try to feed one another. One chick may grab the beak of the other seeking food as they would a parent bird and it triggers a feeding response in the other chick. They're probably hungry and ready to be fed.

2. You may have researched online for a recipe to make for feeding but still, we have no idea what those ingredients are since you didn't include them in your reply. Whatever it is, it's vastly different from what they were fed from their parents and could cause vomiting because it's a sudden change in food. Which, in your case is not avoidable considering the situation you are currently in. Feed smaller amounts more frequently and don't overfill the crop - which could also cause vomiting. Could you share the ingredients of your homemade formula?

3. If the babies are naked as you said in your first post (no feathers) I would suggest a clean container instead of a cage to keep them warm at a temperature of at least 85 degrees Fahrenheit or 31 degrees Celsius. If you have a digital thermometer to set inside the container to monitor the inside temp of the container that would be ideal. If you have access to a heating pad you can Place it underneath the container -only under one half of the container so if the babies get too warm they can move to the other side of the container to get away from the heat source ) wrapped in a towel on the lowest setting. On the inside of the container fill it with 3 inches thickness of clean wood shavings ( aspen works great) and if you have no access to the shavings use clean NON-printed shredded paper. Babies on a flat surface can develop splayed legs so this is why the shavings or paper are essential. Here's an image for you to see what I mean:

3 Basic Parts to a Brooder

Baby Parrot Brooder 1

The temperature you keep them in is important. Chilled chicks are not able to digest the food in their crop properly when they get cold. This can result in the food sitting in the crop longer = bacterial / fungal growth on the food, which can result in the vomiting and chicks become critical. At this stage they need veterinary assistance to culture the vomit to prescribe the appropriate antibiotic.

The temperature of the formula is extremely important. The best method is to use a digital thermometer ( for the food only and separate from the one used inside the container) The temperature of the formula needs to be 105-107 degrees Fahrenheit or 40-42 degrees Celsius. Cooler temps of formula will also cause slow digestion, the food in the crop can ferment, grow bacteria and will result in a critical need to be seen by a veterinarian. Read about sour crop.

I realize you are in another country and at this time may have limited resources. I ask a LOT of questions to best help you to help the babies. It would be nice to know all the current stats of what you currently have the babies in, along with your current temperatures the babies are in and the exact temperature of the formula you feed at including the ingredients of your homemade formula.
Okay big write time....

1. The babies are a wee bit different from normal (I guess) coz they literally are feeding eachother and even (trying to feed) me. They don't grab each other's beaks... I'd know if that were the case as one of them would start to get thinner and weaker... For instance,

Today I fed the older one first and as I was loading up my syringe for the younger one I saw that the older one seeing that Lil boy was crying (chirping) for food just regurgitated on me... They were a good distance away... And Yes, he did not exhibit this behavior when kept and feed solitarily.

2. They AREN'T VOMITING... They are regurgitating .... Kind of smooth too and the formula is exactly what went in.

3.The formula I'm feeding them if the same thing I was feeding them when I got them a week ago.... No regurgitation back then...
It is made using - rice, yellow moong , gram daal .
First blitz it in a blender then add water and cook it (Best I could do in quarantine)

4. I am measuring the temperature of the food all the time(digital thermometer). They are covered with cloth (several layers) to keep them warm but ventilation is there.

5. Will do that container thing you talked about... Don't have a heating pad though... Any replacement?

6. Yes they are still naked ( only feathers on the head, tail and wings )

7. Well yeah here in India I'm living in the country not the City... So getting access to a good vet with everything goin on and the Lockdown isn't possible...

8. I was aware of that article about sour crop
:D

Could you guys please kinda share some more advice on how to properly raise them
Would Appreciate it

Thanks alot =D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you have some video clips of this behaviour?
3 week old naked chicks do not feed each other. I think you are misinterpreting.

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Here's that video I made,

Though his regurgitation wasn't captured it can be seen that he is trying to feed the other one (he regurgitated before I started recording) and this was when the older 3 had just arrived (probably 4 hrs with us)

Also could you tell me how much they should weigh at their respective ages?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Here's that video I made,

Though his regurgitation wasn't captured it can be seen that he is trying to feed the other one (he regurgitated before I started recording) and this was when the older 3 had just arrived (probably 4 hrs with us)

Also could you tell me how much they should weigh at their respective ages?

Your video didn’t link.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Nitai
This link has photos of an indian ringneck baby as it grows from day 2 to day 38 showing the baby on a gram scale so you can see what the weight should be. Of course it will vary per each chick and what they are fed will also affect the growth rate. At the moment it's the best I can find to answer your question. Your video didn't post, you'll have to upload it to youtube so you can link it here. If you can share some photos as well that would be great.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Many, many things can cause young birds to vomit or regurgitate, which especially at this age is not normal. I’ve been through some tough times with a macaw who was vomiting and came to me from a bad situation so I’ve had hours of conversation with the avian vet about it. This is just what I learned from my macaws troubles so take it for what it’s worth.

Possible causes could be inconsistency or temp of formula. Even amount of formula given and at what intervals.

The vitamin content of the formula is very important for young birds. An imbalance or inconsistency in regard to amount of certain vitamins can cause issues.

Being kept too cold or even just being stressed in very young birds causes issues.

Environmental toxins/accidental ingestion of toxins can cause issues.

Many different parasitic, bacterial, fungal or viral infections could also potentially cause a young bird to expel their food.

So it’s very hard to say online what is going on. I think it’s great they found a home who cares about them. But there’s just so many possibilities to be able to help more, though I really want to. The video may help us to better understand what’s happening and I know everyone here will help as best we can.

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys,
Been away for a while....
Update: rescued 2 more baby birds, one was all covered in pus and is blind for some reason(was hurt) and the other fell out of its best trying to fly.
Both are currently in good shape.
The other 3 have started to fly :) (yay)
The first 2 babies(for whom this thread was started coz they were VOMITING) are also doing good but sadly the younger one developed sour crop... Milked out the crop but now I need to give him an antibacterial. I read somewhere that tetracycline would do the trick but then some probiotics would be required.

Can you guys tell me any natural ones or anything I could get at my local pharmacy?

The younger one is also a bit lethargic and sleepy and he wasn't asking for food till we milked his crop out ... Now he eats and it passes through (temperature increased, density decreased).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would not use Tetracycline on a baby bird. It can and is dangerous for some animals. I gave a horse an injection of Tetra once (thank goodness the vet warned me) and the horse dropped like a rock to the ground. He was eventually ok, but did'nt get any more Tetra.

If you can get antibiotics without a prescription in your country, I would recommend Baytril (enrofloxicin) or Ampicillin or doxycycline - all less dangerous. Although Doxy does have allergic effects in some birds. How will you determine the right dosage for the birds you are medicating - an overdose of any antibiotic can kill a bird?

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Ehh, a bit late for that
I gave em tetra ... They seem fine and the crop is running again but the poop color is weird now... It's lime green and sometimes yellow. What should I do... Any advice would help

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Also, their are no websites telling me the dosage... I gave them the tiniest pinch of that stuff in some electrolytes