• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Help my baby bird is vomiting

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I read somewhere that tetracycline would do the trick
Any help would be greatly appreciated
I would not use Tetracycline on a baby bird. It can and is dangerous for some animals. I gave a horse an injection of Tetra once (thank goodness the vet warned me) and the horse dropped like a rock to the ground.
I would recommend Baytril (enrofloxicin) or Ampicillin or doxycycline - all less dangerous.
Ehh, a bit late for that
I gave em tetra ...
What should I do... Any advice would help
:facepalm:
If you wish to ask for advice then stick around a few minutes and give members a chance to respond. Hankmacaw responded very quickly to your last post, but you gave the medicine she advised against. Now you ask for help again.
Please be a little patient and people will do their best to help, it is a waste of our time if you don´t stay to read the posts.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dosage information

Lime green/yellow urine and urates are the standard indications of liver disease.

YOU REALLY, REALLY NEED A VETERINARIAN TO AT LEAST GUIDE YO!!

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
:facepalm:
If you wish to ask for advice then stick around a few minutes and give members a chance to respond. Hankmacaw responded very quickly to your last post, but you gave the medicine she advised against. Now you ask for help again.
Please be a little patient and people will do their best to help, it is a waste of our time if you don´t stay to read the posts.
Dosage information

Lime green/yellow urine and urates are the standard indications of liver disease.

YOU REALLY, REALLY NEED A VETERINARIAN TO AT LEAST GUIDE YO!!
Hey guys,
Been away for a bit so here is an update.
EVERYONE IS FINE :D
The Trio have been poopin' all over my ceiling fans, curtains, my computer and Me!
The Duo have been chatting with my dad like friends and are in fine shape... Eating, Preening (All feathered and Grown up) And the big guy Even MaDe HiS fIrSt Flight!!!
The new guy from the bushes is now the trio's friend!!!!
The Yellow/Green poop has been fixed... Same with the sour crop and the puking (yay)
They are living the life, roaming around the house, flying, etc.

Wish I could say the same for the dude with the eye problem... Something was up with his eyes and he couldn't see for the first week and a half as there was a sort of crusted layer that had formed and kept them shut,
Had a vet guide me through in performing what I think was a surgery(my heart rate was through the roof). He was fine for a few days... eating, Preening, flapping his wings and trying to escape from his own little quarantine cage (inquisitive I guess?).

It was fine but he managed to escape sometimes... His eyes had full recovered and then he somehow managed to hurt his right eye horribly .
He is now being taken care of and in a locked quarantine cage, meds with vet consultation and a special formula.
Hope he gets well...

Replies:
Zara- I don't mean to waste anyone's time but I think you didn't notice 2 things...
1. The message of mine to which Hank responded was a question for a probiotic not a medication
2. I got Hank's response roughly 10hrs after my question... I understand that everyone isn't available 24/7 and can only respond when they get time and I respect that

Finally, all I wanted to say was that I respect everyone's time and value their opinions (which is kinda why I'm asking y'all) and I apologise if I have made you(Zara) and anyone else feel that way... Sorry?

Hankmacaw- Thanks alot for your help and advice, without you I probably wouldn't have even noticed this or asked the vet about it...
The doc told me it's fine just don't give him anymore tetra (I had only given him 1 dose) and keep him on fluids for a while till he's okay...

Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad to hear all your birds are ok and you have a vet guiding you through everything.

You don´t need to apologise to me, I had seen that @Hankmacaw was able to respond within 20 minutes but you didn´t check back in case anyone responded for quite some time, 10 hours as you say and not before giving the medicine you was asking about. Anyway, that´s not important now, your birds health is, and they are getting better in your care so that is the main thing :)

Wishing a speedy recovery to your little one with the eye injury!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Would love to see some photos of the babies...

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Would love to see some photos of the babies...
Sure thing... I'll upload them soon. :)

Also, for the vomiting thing, I figured it out,
That vet had gotten my birds confused with a larger species (wonder how he managed to do that)... So he told me to feed them around 20cc which I could see in the first few days was a wee bit too much.... Anyways we got it clarified and now I give em less ... No more VOMITING...:)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Aaaw... thank you! I'm happy they've done so well with you!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We rescued a tiny baby house finch from a crow and it seemed touch and go at first but she started healing up and growing and we kept stuffing her full of warm baby parrot formula. She grew up and imprinted on us and was a happy girl who sang the songs of her people and eating and drinking anything of ours and sleeping on my mouse hand while I surfed. First bird we ever syringe fed and she survived. Good job on getting them through the rough spots to being happy little healthy feathered guys.

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Wow... I have rescued parrots before but they weren't as small as these guys... they never really grew on us but got big and strong and then we released them back to the wild, they flew away.
These guys have been the hardest given how small they were and the fact that I am no expert:D... they sleep with me if I kinda put one hand on their backs while dozing of and sometimes even when I am playing music...AND OH BOY DO THEY LOVE A GOOD SCRITCH:wacky:...
A finch would be way harder considering their size so kudos to you for doing such a fantastic job of helping her live...

On a side note I have been getting some mini heart attacks whenever my mom feeds them without telling me... she gives them fresh watermelon (sometimes) juice and they poop watermelon poop and I nearly got a seizure :lol:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well if she would have escaped she probably would have taken off out of fear but she totally bonded to us and we called her Beeper because that's the noise she made. Once she got that bonded and tame we just couldn't toss her outside to try and fend for herself. If you got anything close to her head at first she'd pop open her beak and scream to be fed. Once she was topped up she'd happily fall asleep. The first night she was here we put her in a easter basket and she was beside my bed on the floor. I woke up the next morning and she looked all stiff and I figured she'd left us from shock during the night. I gently touched her and her mouth popped open and she started cheeping and wiggling her wings to be fed and that was that from then on.
Sometimes we'd get woke up every four hours or so when she started screaming for food. Very quickly she was able to sleep the night over just fine. She self weaned eventually as we left finch food for her but if she saw something she really liked she'd go right back to doing the baby bird thing, it was cute.
She would play with bells and toys, would jump on your finger if you held it up, attack my finger in her cage ferociously, then jump on it, and if we had any bowl of water she'd jump in and take a bath all over us.

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
Well if she would have escaped she probably would have taken off out of fear but she totally bonded to us and we called her Beeper because that's the noise she made. Once she got that bonded and tame we just couldn't toss her outside to try and fend for herself. If you got anything close to her head at first she'd pop open her beak and scream to be fed. Once she was topped up she'd happily fall asleep. The first night she was here we put her in a easter basket and she was beside my bed on the floor. I woke up the next morning and she looked all stiff and I figured she'd left us from shock during the night. I gently touched her and her mouth popped open and she started cheeping and wiggling her wings to be fed and that was that from then on.
Sometimes we'd get woke up every four hours or so when she started screaming for food. Very quickly she was able to sleep the night over just fine. She self weaned eventually as we left finch food for her but if she saw something she really liked she'd go right back to doing the baby bird thing, it was cute.
She would play with bells and toys, would jump on your finger if you held it up, attack my finger in her cage ferociously, then jump on it, and if we had any bowl of water she'd jump in and take a bath all over us.
That sounds adorable... the ones I was talking about were ones we rescued last year, they were about a month and a half old (estimated),
We had no intention of rescuing them(coz they were fine) until one fine night they started screaming... when we went to have a look there was blood on the outside and inside of the hollow and the parents weren't there... we got them out and brought them home... hand fed for a bit but then they eventually weaned, for some reason they never really got imprinted on us and would just love being in their cage, I had to get a cage for them specially built(4×2.5×4.. yeah it was huge) just so they could peacefully fly without turning the house into a mess... that cage is now accommodating my trio plus the other guy who fell.
I've always wanted birds and now I have 7 :cool:
It feels amazing to see these guys happy healthy and growing...
On a side note, I'm gonna share link to a video in which the BIG BOI is talking to my dad... he just loves my dad to the point where he only talks to him and no one else... their little chat is a spectacle to see:heart: