• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help me my lovebird's feathers are covered in medicine and they're sticky

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
My lovebird's feathers are covered in medicine and they are sticky, what should I do? I'm very worried, the medicine is bepanthen for wounds, he used to have a wound and my uncle covered him in medicine instead of a little medicine

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
I currently put him in the bathroom with a heater (low) and i put a little water on him, its effective because the stickiness is gone after like 35 minutes, I'm hoping that his feathers are gonna be soft like before

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
HAve you managed to get all of the pomade off yet?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bepanthen is very thick and I’m not really sure how you’d get that off without a warm wash. I’m not even sure if bepanthen is safe to use on birds.

Personally, I’d call a vet and ask what is the best way to clean this cream off your bird.

I’d be calling the vet not just for advice on cleaning it off the feathers but also incase it’s something that may be harmful for your bird as it preens it’s feathers clean.

Oily products on feathers and skin can stop our birds regulating their temperature so please make sure you keep your bird warm enough till you can get some vet advice

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
Bepanthen is very thick and I’m not really sure how you’d get that off without a warm wash. I’m not even sure if bepanthen is safe to use on birds.

Personally, I’d call a vet and ask what is the best way to clean this cream off your bird.
It cured the bird's wounds in fact, but my stupid uncle put too much of bepanthen and ruiend his feathers, i heard a warm towel is a good solution, perhaps is that true?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
In future please choose something such as Aloe Vera (fresh from the plant is always best as it is definitely safe) which is not oily, only use products you definitely know are safe unless a vet instructs you to use something such as bepanthen. I’m not sure if the ingredients in bepanthen are even safe for birds so I’d still be calling a vet to ask for advice on how to proceed from here.

My guess is that you’ll not get bepanthen off feathers without some warm water and safe soap such as Dawn.

I am not recommending you do the wash though- I’m recommending you contact a vet to ask if there’s a problem with your bird ingesting any remnants of the cream off its feathers.

I really pleased the original problem has been healed up.

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
In future please choose something such as Aloe Vera (fresh from the plant is always best as it is definitely safe) which is not oily, only use products you definitely know are safe unless a vet instructs you to use something such as bepanthen. I’m not sure if the ingredients in bepanthen are even safe for birds so I’d still be calling a vet to ask for advice on how to proceed from here.

My guess is that you’ll not get bepanthen off feathers without some warm water and safe soap such as Dawn.

I am not recommending you do the wash though- I’m recommending you contact a vet to ask if there’s a problem with your bird ingesting any remnants of the cream off its feathers.

I really pleased the original problem has been healed up.
Dawn here is Fairy right? And I'm about to watch a video on how to clean him, problem is that I can't find any vets in Kuwait that are good

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes I believe that is the same dish liquid.

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
Yes I believe that is the same dish liquid.
Alright thank you, but how do I dry him off? Do I let him dry himself off? Or should I put him in a heater room (low heat), it proved to be effective so far

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If it’s nice and warm and not late in the day you can gently towel wrap him to get some water off then let him dry off naturally. If it’s late or not warm then gentle towel wrap for a little bit to get excess water off (don’t rub the feathers and mess them up) then sit him in a heated room.

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
If it’s nice and warm and not late in the day you can gently towel wrap him to get some water off then let him dry off naturally. If it’s late or not warm then gentle towel wrap for a little bit to get excess water off (don’t rub the feathers and mess them up) then sit him in a heated room.
Well in my country its usually 50 degrees celsius outside in the day and I don't let them sit out of the house, i'm about to use the fairy warm water method and hope to god it works

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Make sure to keep the soap and water well away from your birds face. Make sure it’s not too warm.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Please update when you can about how your bird is after you’ve washed it.

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
Make sure to keep the soap and water well away from your birds face. Make sure it’s not too warm.
I'm making it warm and shallow, and the soap, I honestly don't know how to do it but I'm trying to check a video out

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wildlife rescue from oil spills will give you a good idea of you can find one of those sorts of videos.

I’ll have a quick search to see if I can find one while you’re also searching.

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
Wildlife rescue from oil spills will give you a good idea of you can find one of those sorts of videos.

I’ll have a quick search to see if I can find one while you’re also searching.
Thank you :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I haven’t watched it all the way through but this one (the bits I watched) explains a fair bit about the importance of keeping oil off the feathers then it looks like they go into showing you how to wash.

Edit because I forgot the link :laugh:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
From now on never use any greasy oily on your bird for any reason. If they accidentally eat it, preen it off their feathers, they can get very sick.
If your bird has wound there are online avian vets that you chat with at a cost but don't use that stuff again please.

Wr1th

Moving in
Real Name
Bassam Tawfiq
From now on never use any greasy oily on your bird for any reason. If they accidentally eat it, preen it off their feathers, they can get very sick.
If your bird has wound there are online avian vets that you chat with at a cost but don't use that stuff again please.
Thank you I won't