• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! ESCAPE (update #16 Home safe!)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so glad you got her back, and so quickly!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Holy cow I am so glad you got her back! How terrifying. Is there any way you can make a double layer of security to protect from this happening again? Something like a sheet hanging in front of the door or only have the birds out in a room with a closing door so they are never free in the area where external doors are- Every single time Burt has nearly escaped it has been someone else in the house opening external doors without thinking- I do not trust anyone anymore no matter how much I know they might care for Burt... I take extra precautions now if I ever have Burt out in the part of the house with external doors.

Oooooo buddy. That was stressful. 109% do not recommend.

For the finer details, in case anyone else has something happen: she was in the kitchen with me, when my partner opened the door to take the dogs out. She shot out the door and across the street.

IF YOUR BIRD IS CLIPPED, IT CAN STILL FLY.

She came to me clipped extremely short, and now a couple months later they've just started growing back enough for a good flutter. She caught the breeze and was gone.
The biggest problem with clipped birds escaping is that they can still fly but they can't fly well enough to save themselves unfortunately- I have seen so many videos over the years of birds being caught by dogs and cats cos they cant fly high enough to get out of their reach or they are having to flap so much they exhaust themselves before they can get to safety... I even saw one hit by a car cos it could not fly high enough to stay safe while trying to come to me for help. More flighted birds return home safely after an escape than clipped birds do, so glad for you @Xoetix that Kimchi's little outdoor adventure ended with her coming home!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ive placed a clear shower curtain on a tension rod in a hallway by one of my doors to help prevent.

And even tho it's mostly me here, I put sign by all my doors to help mentally kick me in the pants to double check.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So glad you got her home safe! How frightening!!! :(

I have moved your thread from the Emergency forum to the Highway home forum.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It was about 2 hours all together, which felt way longer. Now all the adrenaline is coming down and I feel like I'm going to vomit or pass out. Or both.

double layer of security to protect from this happening again
That's the thing! She flew into the enclosed porch which is usually shut, but the wind caught the door and popped it open. So now I'll also be looking into a heavier door for the porch.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Me too! So glad she's back. I lost my friend's dog once when I was dogsitting her. It was the worst. Thankfully someone took her in and she was safe and I was able to get the dog the next day. But it was the absolute worse feeling.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Shock and all, hot tea and something sweet and warm socks .
How's your girl doing?

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is the third news of tiel escape I got in last five days. Thank god it ended well. The other two escapes do not have such happy ending. I'm really stressed about those incidents. Both the birds were tame and bonded to their owners.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m wondering about a screen with magnets on the edges to hang over your doorway?

I’m trying to recall what the raptor center used in the big raptor flights. I think it was heavy clear vinyl blocking the flying area from the entrance/ doorway. I wonder if I can find it online.

Honestly I think your porch is pretty safe and this was a really lousy accident. You basically have an anteroom to prevent escape. Maybe a new stronger spring on your porch door?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh my word my hearts in my throat so I can only imagine how you feel so glad you got her back

how you feeling how’s she going ? Hopefully she knows where her breads buttered and remembers the grass isnt greener outside:huh:

I am same with ladders it’s an horrible feeling

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I am so so happy she is back. How stressful! Hope you and Kimchi are doing okay :heart:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
She seems great this morning. Last night after I got her in, I ended up taking a long hot shower and going to bed. I had been outside in the chilly wind for about an hour and a half without a jacket (I only remembered to grab it after starting to shiver). I'm about to post a thread to shame her for giving me a scare like that :shifty:

screen doors that are on magnets
screen with magnets
Yeah I'm looking into these this morning. @WillowQ is right, it was a dumb freak accident considering that screened porch SHOULD be a good catch point, but now I have heightened anxiety so everything is getting some sort of security upgrade.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Until you can find a good screen door. This is what I did at my old place: a big honking sign:
STOP, ARE THE BIRDS IN THEIR CAGES?
DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR IF THEY ARE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a great reminder to me and anyone within my apartment. I'm still cautious here even with screened in porch. Bebe has been out on the porch once and had meltdown.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Also record all the birds singing whistling their general noise, put it on thumb drive and someplace safe. That way you don't have take the birds out in nasty weather.