• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP! Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another thing you can try on his beak is rubbing some coconut oil on it. Coconut oil has healing properties in it and works really well.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Also if you can warm up the meds in the syringe for about a minute in fairly warm water, it might make it easier for it to go down.

Ginger

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Thank you to everyone who replied :)

Ricco is MUCH better today. His beak is not bleeding and he seems fine. Eating, drinking, grinding his beak (his content noises right before he sleeps), playing, etc. I still plan on calling the vet and asking about this, though.

His beak was trimmed just a tiny bit because one side of his bottom mandible was longer than the other. Other than that, he was fine.

His day cage is in our living room and is 36X28. Yes, we have a sleeping cage. It's in our bedroom and is smaller. That's where he was last night.

Thank you. I agree, I don't want to use the syringes anymore. I'm definitely going to try some foods to try to get them into him. He's gotta like something, right? :rolleyes:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
When I give Judy meds, I don't put the syringe in her beak, but up against the side and squeeze it in slowly and steadily. It might not work with a really terrified bird if she's biting at it.

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Is Ricco sick?

Now I'm concerned... He's been a bit fluffed up the past couple of days, but it seems to only be if he's cold and/or about to take a nap or something. Well, today I took away his seeds and only gave him pellets (which he ate a bit of) until about 4:00PM. His poop was super watery and then it was only liquid. Now it seems to be normal again, but his vent is all gross..? Is it because he hasn't gotten around to preening it yet or what? I'm worried now. I plan on calling the vet on Monday and telling her I would like an appointment sooner than 3 weeks from now. I want to be sure he's healthy...

I also left him alone for the first time today, for a couple hours. It's the longest I've left him alone since I brought him home. He was here with my SO, but he doesn't like her. She said he was screeching while I was gone. Could it just be because he was stressed out because I left?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Re: Is Ricco sick?

It's possible he's not feeling well. Keep him warm and hydrated until you can get him in.

Ginger

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Jaime, I definitely think he needs to be looked at by an avian vet. My concern is with his soft beak, the past infection, he may have something else going on. Did they test him for diseases? Make sure you keep him warm and hydrated. Place paper towels in his cage so you can keep a good eye on his bowel movements and urine out put.
Also, you have only had him a short time. Do not change his diet suddenly. It can shock their organs. I hope he soon feels better. :hug8:

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime

Thank you, guys. He's acting better now. I really think it was because I took away his seeds. But I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning and if he's not better, I'm taking him in tomorrow. His poops seem fine now, though. I put paper towels down so I can see better.

:hug8::hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I merged the two threads since Ricco's health issue may be related. I also suggest a vet visit. :hug8:

mosemom

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
How is Ricco doing now? Hope all is better and that he is on the road to recovery.
:heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He needs to ••• the ger again. Did he have a full blood chemistry test done to check his liver and kidneys?

If he is biting the syringe that badly, he is really struggling. Could it be possible that you aspirated him? I suggest having the vet show you how to gavage feed the medicines.

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Hope everything is going well.

Status
Not open for further replies.