• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

HELP! Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
I mentioned before that Ricco (G2) was grabbing his beak/rubbing it on the cage bars, etc. after getting his oral meds. Well tonight while giving them to him, I realized that he's biting the syringes so hard that he's actually chipping/bending his beak? Is this something I should be concerned with? Should I call the vet? Am I doing something wrong?
This is stressful! I just checked on him again and his beak is bleeding a bit... What should I do?

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Hmm, it seems unlikely that the syringe is causing his beak to bleed. Unless its like... metal or something (i'm assuming you're using a plastic one) it would seem that his beak would be the one breaking the syringe.
Do you have a photo or something? Is it still bleeding?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Make a paste with cayenne pepper to stop the bleeding. It has healing properties, and will lessen any pain. And yes, call the vet.:hug8:

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Yeah it's plastic. It had to have been the syringe, I watched it bend the side of his beak back, it was weird. Idk. I think it's still bleeding but I can't tell exactly. He's pulling on it with his foot... :/

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
That's really strange!
Is he really young? young birds have very malleable beaks.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Tell the vet that his beak bends. Sounds like a vitamin k shot is in order if his beak is soft.

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Sorry, it's not very clear... Those were the best I could do. He's leaving it alone right now. I don't think it's bleeding anymore. I would think the vet would have noticed that when she trimmed his beak? :confused: Hmm. Thanks, guys. Should I call them now? It's 10:00PM. Should I wait til the morning?

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
He's 8 years old. I just got him last Saturday from a lady who "couldn't" take care of him anymore...

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Why are you feeding him with a syring and why is THAT side bleeding? Beak are very hard and shouldn't "bend".....I also agree with the cayenne/water paste and let him eat some...that will stop the bleeding and won't hurt him...but I would call the vet in the AM...about the beak "bending"... when did she trim it????

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
I'm not feeding him, I'm giving him meds. Antibiotics. I have to towel him and put the syringe in the side of his beak... I will try the cayenne/water paste and I'm definitely calling the vet in the AM. He saw the vet last Saturday and she trimmed his beak then...

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Tried the cayenne paste... He wanted nothing to do with it and fluttered to the bottom of his cage. :(

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Have you tried putting the meds in a piece of whole wheat bread to see if he would eat it that way?
will he eat out of a spoon for you? like sweet potatoes and the meds in that?....
where he is bleeding looks like it is "cracked" or peeling....does the other side look the same????

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Applesauce is another food you could try also...
What is wrong that he is on Antibiotics...and sorry for the ?'s...just trying to get an idea of what is going on...are you feeding him from the side that is bleeding????

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
Thank you very much. And it's okay. I haven't tried bread but I've tried feeding him lots of things and he always just drops them. I will try that tomorrow though. Nope, he is terrified of spoons. Not sure why. :( Yes, his beak looks like that on the other side as well, but not as severe. The vet put him on Baytril and something that starts with an F... Fluvo something? She thought there may be something wrong with him by the gram stain but she didn't do any further tests because he was already stressed out so we're supposed to go back in 3-5 weeks to have all the other tests done. And yes, that was the side the syringe was in.

Cyreen

No that really doesn't sound right, a plastic syringe should not bend his beak. It does sound like he has a vitamin deficiency.

...and sorry for the ?'s...
No offense intended, but just so you know, all the question marks and the big bright font sorta create added stress in an already stressful situation.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wishing you the best and sending healing energy today for Ricco.:hug8:
No offense intended, but just so you know, all the question marks and the big bright font sorta create added stress in an already stressful situation.
To who? You?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
First off take a deep breath and calm your energy. You have a bird who doesn't know you from Adam and who is pretty scared. He's had his beak trimmed, which in and of itself is traumatic, which could explain the bleeding, maybe it was abraded too much? Why did he have his beak trimmed? Is it over growing? If so that could indicate a medical problem with the liver. Beak trimming should not a "norm". You need to put him in a place he feels secure and safe. Where is your cage located? Do you have a sleeping cage? Bird time and human time are not the same. 3 days in human time ='s about 3 minutes in bird time. He's scared. I know you need to give him his meds but I would try and find something that he likes to mix it with. The main thing is to talk to him in a soft soothing calm voice, tell him everything your going to do and why, move slowly, minimize the touching if possible and don't wear any loud clothing or baseball hats.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.