• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone ;)

fireffly

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there, thank you for having me. I am a proud human to a wonderful Quaker (if you don't ask my kids) names Hades. He is 17 years old, and been with me since he was 4 months old. He is my best friend, the true owner of my heart. He was a gift to myself when my last child moved out and I was feeling that empty nest syndrome. What better to fill an empty next than a sweet baby parrot.

My kids don't think he's awesome because he not only will refuse their touches, fingers and attention when they visit, he makes it clear I am his and they can't have me. lol They think he is aptly named.

He is very spoiled since it's only been the two of us for many years and he's been with me through so much. I live with chronic pain and mobility issues and he likes to take care of me. To show you how wonderful he is I will just say this. When the pain is bad and I cry he rushes to me and tells me to 'step up'. This is what I tell him when he is scared as a hawk flies by a window or he sees anything red.

He flies free in the apartment. I have a curtain that blocks the kitchen he cannot get through and the bathroom door always stays close. He is well trained, has his "poo-poo lamp" which is an old lamp that also doubles as a warm place for him to sit when he doesn't want to be on my shoulder. He also his is own pillow that sits next to mine so he can snuggle me if I take a nap. He knows the white is the only place he can relieve himself. If he is on my shoulder and feels too lazy to fly to his lap he will tap the side of my face with a wing or his tail to tell me to pick him up and hold him over a tissue.

Training him like this was not easy, but patience and perseverance paid off. I love showing him off when people visit and he just loves putting on little shows for them. It's one thing having my attention, it's another thing stopping others from having my attention. lol Like I said, spoiled.

It's not all roses. He has his moods, his temper and we have our arguments. However, we always get thru it and end all issues with snuggles and soft scratches around his neck, his favourite touch in the world. Ok, let's be honest, he gets them all the time anyway.

Unlike a dog or a cat, birds are prey, not predator, earning their love and trust is truly humbling. A gift that still amazes me every single day, even after 17 years.

Well, that's us.

Hope to get to know you all well!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. Hades sounds delightful.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Such a wonderful relationship you have with Mr. H. Welcome to AA. Do you have any photos to share?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:hiya:Welcome!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Post some photos of Hades when you get a chance.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Hades! :)

A rather unusual name, but, OK!

We'd love to see pics...:D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue! Hades(I like his name!) sounds wonderfull:xflove: I am hoping you have Some pics to share:D

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome