• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heart broken birdy mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
well we think we finaly found out whats wrong with Annie she was diagnosed with the Bornavirus cant be cured .
So now she will be on celebrax for the timebeing .Everyone cross ur fingers that it works ,if it does she will be on it the rest of her life .
Wow it is 70 bucks each time for the pills time to set up my annie pill fund lol.Iam just glad we have something to go on and not just guess anymore .
annie.jpg :)
Description:
Bornavirus is the causative agent of Borna disease. Borna disease virus (BDV) is a negative-stranded neurotropic RNA virus. A neurotropic virus is a virus which can infect nerve cells, or which does so preferentially. A few commonly known neurotropic viruses are Rabies, Herpes virus, Poliovirus, and Japanese Encephalitis.

Borna disease was first recognized in 1885 in cavalry horses in the town of Borna in Saxony, Germany. BDV, the virus that causes Borna Disease, appears to have a wide host range having been detected in birds, horses, cattle, sheep, dogs and foxes. In 1995, the virus was isolated from cats suffering from a "staggering disease". In 2000, a Swedish researcher isolated BDV from wild birds including mallards and jackdaws. BDV has also been found in ostrich farms in Australia. It is generally accepted that ADV causes a persistent infection of the central nervous system (CNS). This infection can be expressed in varying degrees from mild behavioral changes to severe neurological disease.
Bornavirus was first described in psittaciforms in 2008 by researchers at UCSF who were studying a group of five parrots suffering from Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD). Using microarray technology, the group isolated a negative-stranded RNA virus from three of the five birds. This virus was determined to be a member of the Bornaviridae family. The researchers named the avian strain 'Avian Bornavirus' (ABV).

It has long been believed that PDD is caused by an enveloped neurotropic virus that in some cases causes cytokine storm resulting from lymphocyte infiltration to the proventriculus (forestomach), ventriculus (gizzard), and areas of the small intestines. As a result of the damage, birds are unable to digest their food properly. In some birds with PDD, the severely dilated thin wall of the proventriculus may rupture, resulting in movement of undigested food into the abdominal cavity causing severe infection which many times leads to rapid death.

Research strongly suggests that ABV plays a pivotal role in the onset of PDD in birds. ABI has tested over 5000 samples from both suspect and non-suspect birds. Samples from over 500 cases of PDD diagnosed birds have been confirmed to have ABV antibodies as well as Borna virus RNA. However, there is also a large population of birds that have tested positive for ABV but have not developed any clinical signs of PDD.
New research confirms that cloacal swabs and fecal samples are not a reliable source of ABV RNA due to the inconsistent shedding of the virus and destructive forces like bacteria, enzymes and other contaminants found in the feces. This results in an unacceptable percentage of false negatives by PCR.
ABV has been found in samples from countries in Europe, Asia, African and South America.
ABV is also being studied as a possible causitive agent of conditions such as skin inflammation, feather plucking, self mutilation, major neurological problems, and chronic bacterial and fungal infections.
In May 2010, we recieved feather samples from 6 birds who are chronic feather pluckers. 5 of the 6 birds tested positive for ABV by rtPCR using feather samples. None of these birds were suffering from any weight problems as observed by the vetrinarian treating them.
[HR][/HR]
Transmission:Bornavirus transmission is not well understood. Bornavirus is thought to be primarily transferred from one individual to another through direct or intimate contact, or by exposure to infected fecal material. Avian Biotech is currently studying ABV transmission from an infected female to an egg and performing testing to determine embryonic infection of ABV. Additional work is being done to study ABV-specific antibody levels in the yolk of an egg laid by an infected bird. ABI is also studying cellular transmission and variations in specific ABV protein expression from one individual to another.
[HR][/HR]
Symptoms:Signs suggestive of PDD include weight loss over a period of weeks to months despite a good appetite, passage of undigested food, vomiting, abdominal distention, and impaction of the crop and proventriculus.
Neurological signs include intermittent shaking of the bird's head, feather plucking and mutilation, problems with balance, moaning or crying due to digestive problems, change in aggression, and seizures. Some or all of these signs may or may not be present.

It is also important to note that in many cases birds infected with ABV may not develop any symptoms of ABD or PDD for years or even decades before the onset of disease. It is still unknown if a percentage of birds may never develop any symptoms of disease but may continue to function as a reservoir for ABV and allow the virus to infect other birds.
[HR][/HR]
Prevention:In 2010 ABI began testing a sub-unit vaccine to prevent the spread of the disease and the results are looking very promising.
To disinfect areas that may have been contaminated by bornavirus, use an oxidizer solution such as diluted bleach: 50 parts water to 1 part bleach, plus a small amount of dish soap as a wetting agent.
[HR][/HR]
Treatment:There are no known treatments for ABV infections. ABI is looking forward to conducting experimental treatments using ABI's own parrot-specific gamma and alpha interferon, as well as combining these cytokins with specific anti-viral drugs. Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD
[HR][/HR]
Diagnosis:Complete ABV/PDD panel!!
Two methods of identifying ABV infection are available at ABI: serology (rELISA) which tests for immunological exposure to specific ABV antigens, and direct rtPCR which detects the presence of ABV-specific RNA. Our complete ABV panel includes both the rtPCR and the ELISA panel.

ABV ELISA panel consists of 4 AVB-specific proteins (P40, P24, P29, and matrix). A small serum sample is required for the rELISA panel.

ABV rtPCR panel is a multiplex assay that amplifies both conserved ABV M&N segment genes as well as two internal RNA controls (housekeeping genes). Internal controls are extremely important to confirm proper RNA isolation. For routine ABV screening using rtPCR, the most reliable samples are chest or breast contour feathers.
Cloacal or vent swabs as well as fecal samples are not recommended for routine screening due to the intermittent shedding of the virus, as well as bacterial and enzymatic degradation, that greatly reduce the reliability of this sample type. Because of the neurotropic nature of the virus, blood is also not recommended for rtPCR.
For postmortem detection of ABV RNA, samples from the brain, proventricular tissue, or crop biopsies stored in alcohol are preferred.
Animal Genetics' latest publication on ABV was submitted for publication to the Journal of Veterinarian Diagnostic Investigation. Our research paper describes current methods used by Animal Genetics for detection of ABV. This paper also demonstrates the effectiveness of testing for ABV from feathers, and compares the reliability of a feather sample with a cloacal swab and serum sample.
[HR][/HR]
Sample:
Serum samples are currently accepted for ELISA. However, fecal samples and blood cards are being evaluated and could become an alternative sample for ELISA. Cloacal swabs are not considered an reliable source for ABV RNA and should not be submitted by them selfs for rtPCR. Due to the neurotropic nature of the virus, the calamus of 4-8 plucked chest or breast feathers provides the best source of viral RNA for screening of birds infected with ABV.
Postmortem testing requires a small brain tissue sample placed in alcohol. Detailed information has been submitted for publication in the "Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation". Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD)
[HR][/HR]
Handling:Samples should be submitted by overnight or two day air.
[HR][/HR]
Limitations:Because of mutations occurring in ABV genome, it may be difficult to detect all subtypes. Proventricular Dilatation Disease (PDD [HR][/HR]
References:
HOME -DNA SEXING - DISEASE TESTING - RESULTS - PRICING - FAQ - LINKS
FREE COLLECTION KITS - DOWNLOAD FORMS - AVIAN CONNECTION - Member Login

Avian Biotech International

1336 Timberlane Road · Tallahassee, FL 32312-1766
850-386-1145 or 800-514-9672 (Office) 850-386-1146 (Fax)

Copyright © 1995-2009 Animal Genetics, Inc. All rights reserved.
Avian Biotech and Avian Connection are ™ of Animal Genetics, Inc.

Last edited:

copswife30

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
So sorry to hear this news , sending positive vibes that the meds will work for Annie :hug8::hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm sorry to hear your girl is being affect by the avianborno virus. How is she with the celebrex? Is she now on a soften/moist/wet diet?

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
just started the celebrex today so we will have to see how it works ,i sure hope it does .And she is still on her regular food since its mostly softfood anyways ,she only gets some seeds and pellets for snacks in the afternoon.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Oh, that is difficult news to get. I hope the meds and diet work well for her.
Prayers for strength for both of you.
:sadhug2:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Talk to your vet about her diet. Most birds with PDD or ABV need a 100% moist food diet. It's easily digested compared to seed, nuts or pellets. Opa has an enlarged proventriculis,.found that out almost 3 years ago. The vets did not say he had PDD but did suggest I make sure to feed him a formula/mash type of meal once per day. And so I've been doing that ever since. If Opa ever came down with the disease, it'll be easy to fully switch him to a liquid diet. Opa's proventriculis is genetically malformed, which could be why its enlarged, however an enlarged proventriculis is stressed, and could lead to problems. So I try and feed him foods that are easily digested. Even if its just moistened heated pellets.

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry :hug8:

I pray for the best for her.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
I am so sorry. I do hope this medication works for your baby. Hugs to you both.:hug8::hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry. I hope that the medicine helps.

Matt

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Dear God, thank you for the vets who figured out what was wrong. Thank you for the medicine and many prayers that it will make Annie feel and be better. Give her Mom strength, patience and insight as she looks after her girl. Send her people who have experience with this illness and can share their wisdom and support. Also help Annie be able to tell her Mom what is going on in her body, so that nothing is hidden to keep her from getting the help she needs. Surround Annie with your healing light and love.

Ginger

Attachments

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
:hug8:I'm so sorry! I hope the celebrex works.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am very sorry. What lab tested the blood and feces? Did you get both tested? How easily does Annie take the pill? We have to have our birds' meds compounded. It is expensive. I'll pray PDD never develops.

mama bird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pauline
I am so sorry. You and Annie are in my thoughts and prayers.:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry Annie is ill. To set up a specialized diet for her you may want to talk to Laurella Desborough at EclectusPetOwnerdGroup. Laurella and other very knowledgeable people there can give you the best dietary advice for ekkies with problems. :sadhug:

southernbirds

What were her symptoms that led to her being tested? Wishing you and her well. You are a great bird owner.

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
my vet did the mixing and showed me how to do it myself ,ill do it at home .

Status
Not open for further replies.