• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healthiest Pellets

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Hi, I just got a gcc yesterday! I’m keeping him on the same food he had at the pet store for a little while and then I’d like to transition to something healthier (right now it’s a seed mix and pellet mix, half and half). I haven’t done a ton of research yet about different pellets but so far he doesn’t seem picky with his food (who knows though:lol:), and I’d like to try out the healthiest options first. Maybe if you guys could inform me about the top healthy brands (that may be only available online or whatever) and then the healthiest brands that are commonly available at pet stores. I live in Canada and have easy access to petsmart, petland, and pet valu if that helps with anything. I want a pellet that meets all nutritional requirements but I also plan of feeding him chop and homemade foods. I haven’t looked too much into it, but are the birdtricks.com pellets any good? Or their recipe books? Anyways, thank you everyone for your help in advance!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:welave: YOu GCC is a cutie...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Healthiest is the one your bird will eat. They all technically meet the needs. (except TOPS and Goldenfeast which both have great ingredients but are not nutritionally complete).

You can compare many pellets here:

https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots

Bird Tricks pellets are rebranded TOPS.

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Thanks! That is so helpful. What are the optimal protein/fat/fibre levels for a gcc? Or would all of those foods in the list be ok? Is there any point feeding the tops/incomplete pellets? How much of the diet should they make up?

(edited)
Should I just try to switch him to the pellets he already eats? It’s a mix with very few pellets but I saw him eat one, my guess is that it’s zupreem or tropican, I’ll ask the pet store.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use them for foraging, but none of mine have ever liked the TOPS. Goldenfeast is well received for that though.

All except the breeder formulas would be good for a GCC. I try to personally avoid sugar and artificial colors. The colors at the very least color the poop so its harder to monitor health through them. And, a lot of parrots favor some colors and will ignore other colors, so there can be some waste.

That being said, I've converted every "won't
eat pellets" bird with Zupreem and was able to get them eating other pellets after. Its a good "gateway" pellet.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Goldenfeast Goldn'Obles sounds interesting never looked at that...might give it a try...

Quinoa, organic roasted Soy Beans, par boiled brown Rice and organic long grain brown Rice, raw Almonds, dehydrated and freeze dried vegetables composed of Carrots, sweet garden Peas, Parsley, Green Beans, Spinach, Red Garden Beets and Cabbage. Cranberries, shelled Walnuts, natural organic Agavi sweetener, organic Barley, organic Alfafa, freeze dried Banana powder, organic hulled proso Millet and white proso Millet, organic Flax seed, organic Spelt, organic Rye, Sesame seed, domestic grown Apples, dehydrated Honey, organic Chia seed, organic Kamut, organic Tricale, organic Amaranth, stabilized hulled Oats, Sunflower Kernels, organic Spinach, Fenugreek, freeze dried Raspberries, Hemp seed, organic Timothy, Ginger, Star Anise seed, Cinnamon, Fennel seed, dehydrated whole Eggs, Bee Pollen, Wheatberries, organic Echinacea powder, Cilantro, organic Red Clover Leaf powder and organic Spinach, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product and dried Bifidobacterium.

Guaranteed Analysis: crude protein (min.) 17.5%; crude fat (min.) 9%; crude fiber (max.) 6%; moisture (max.) 3.5%; ash (max.) 3%

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is good but contains no source of Vitamin D3 so you'll need to make sure you give adequate sunlight or a separate Vitamin D3 supplement to make it a complete food. I use it as a foraging treat.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I really like the Caitec Ovenfresh Bites.. They have good ingredients, smell wonderful, and are complete :)

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
welcome.gif giphy (8).gif THE images (3).jpeg
Enjoy the Avenue!
It's a great place to meet, teach, share and learn.

I like TOP's Totally Organic Pellets because they are cold pressed. As a result they are softer and easier for birds of all sizes to eat and their nutrients are preserved. You can check out the ingredients here:
Ingredient Highlights – TOP's Parrot Food

A lot of other pellets are baked or extruded in a very hot process destroying a lot of the nutrients including the added vitamins. I feel the essential vitamins, minerals and Amino acids should be added to the birds diet through fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds besides those that are in the ingredients of the pellets.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@camelotshadow I don't know how much opportunity your birds have to get outside in the sunshine, but Vit D3 is quite important for your bird to utilize calcium. Your birds should get 15min. three times a week for adequate natural production of Vit D3. If they don't get that much unfiltered sunshine, their food should have Vit D3 as a supplement.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks...Will try to get them out on balcony...Its warm here in the day almost every day...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
@Mizzely how small are the small Caitec pellets? (if you use those) I'm trying to get Sherbie on to a better pellet, but she eats the really tiny Kaytee Exact pellets right now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Mizzely how small are the small Caitec pellets? (if you use those) I'm trying to get Sherbie on to a better pellet, but she eats the really tiny Kaytee Exact pellets right now.
My parrotlet eats them, Sherbie should be fine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

they are fairly small, sort of like mini Roudybush. Its kinda like crumbles though. Bobber prefers the medium, Jingo prefers small, so I buy medium and whack it with a rolling pin for him :lol:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The Goldenfeast pellets mentioned come in small beak size. My budgie s eat them every day. I like them because there are no fillers such as corn

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Goldenfeast pellets mentioned come in small beak size. My budgie s eat them every day. I like them because there are no fillers such as corn

My parrots like them but without D3, jingo starts plucking.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
My parrotlet eats them, Sherbie should be fine.
She's so picky about the size. If they're easily broken like everyone says, then even if they're bigger than expected, I can smash them. Fingers crossed that she likes how they taste.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Remember to keep the transition slow. As for brands of pellets, I think you should find which one your bird likes best! The first pellet I fed was Roudybush - my guys liked it. Then one day I tried the ZuPreem fruity pellet, they loved it, and it still remains their favorite today. But I try not to feed much of it everyday because of it's high amount of sugar and because of it's artificial colors. So instead I use them in their foraging toys as 'rewards.' The main pellet they get is ZuPreem natural - they prefer this over the Roudybush. It really comes down to what your bird likes and will eat. You can force him to eat a type of pellet he dislikes, even if it is the healthiest.

Remember to include vegetables and other foods like grains in his diet! A pellet only diet does not make a 'complete' diet, though should be given everyday. I try to include a pellet/seed/dry herbs and leafy green mix in their everyday diet, as well as vegetables, and sprouts if I have some ready. I also feed other good foods like grains. Offer a nice variety. I like to use this as basic guide to safe and toxic foods:

forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/bird-safe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-more.44471/

Good luck with the switch.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Healthiest is the one your bird will eat. They all technically meet the needs. (except TOPS and Goldenfeast which both have great ingredients but are not nutritionally complete).

You can compare many pellets here:

https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots

Bird Tricks pellets are rebranded TOPS.
Thanks for the link! I was wondering about this line " Allergens: Does it contain peanuts, corn or soy? "

Does it refer to allergens that could cause allergic reactions in birds, or in humans?

Coz I only have my birds for a few months so I'm somewhat clueless about bird allergies [ birds being unusually allergic to certain foods? ].

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for the link! I was wondering about this line " Allergens: Does it contain peanuts, corn or soy? "

Does it refer to allergens that could cause allergic reactions in birds, or in humans?

Coz I only have my birds for a few months so I'm somewhat clueless about bird allergies [ birds being unusually allergic to certain foods? ].

For birds. Some people try to avoid those ingredients so that's why I added it. Some birds ARE sensitive to certain ingredients, though I believe it is not well documented yet. We are still learning a lot about parrot nutrition!