• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

head shaking “no” and nodding “yes”?! what untaught behaviour does your birdie have?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Hello!

Has anyone else got a bird that does a certain thing that you haven’t seen any other bird do? And it wasn’t taught and just happened…?

My indian ringneck shakes her head from side to side in a saying “no” way when she’s grumpy (which is really often these days cos hormones lol)
This wasn’t taught at all it just happened randomly hahaha
She does it all the time sometimes even when she catches me looking at her like she’s saying “girl don't look at me and don’t talk to me i’m not in a good mood and i WILL bite” :hilarious:

Honestly sometimes i think maybe there’s something wrong or irritating her but i doubt it because she ONLY does it when she’s moody so I guess it’s just a learnt behaviour from me shaking my head at her when she’s naughty LOL
anyone else have any ideas why she might do this or have a bird that does this themselves?

She also nods her head like she’s saying yes which was ALSO untaught but she only rarely does that when she’s in a really good mood or is acting innocent to get a treat hahah

I think it’s cute how every bird has their unique perks :heart:

What untaught things do your birdies do? I’d love to hear about it!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My goffin Elvis nods his head when I talk. We were at the vet's one day and I was explaining what I thought the problem was. Elvis was on my shoulder and the vet tech bursts out laughing. I look at her and she says, he's nodding his head like he's your little wing man backing up everything you say. He also puts his beak up for a kiss every morning when I let him out of the cage.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
My goffin Elvis nods his head when I talk. We were at the vet's one day and I was explaining what I thought the problem was. Elvis was on my shoulder and the vet tech bursts out laughing. I look at her and she says, he's nodding his head like he's your little wing man backing up everything you say. He also puts his beak up for a kiss every morning when I let him out of the cage.
Awww!! My parrot does a similar thing when i’m about to cover her cage for bedtime she runs to give me a kiss between the cage bars :xflove:

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph nods his head to let me know that he likes something, wants something, wants me to repeat whatever I've said or done or agrees with what I said. :D I suppose that it's an offshoot of Quaker parrot head bobbing. Ralph likes to hold onto one of my fingers with his foot when I sit next to his cage. That's not something he was taught to do, he came up with it all on his own. I know that there are a few other parrots who like to "hold hands" like Ralph does, but it doesn't seem to be typical parrot behavior.

lildroptop

Checking out the neighborhood
Mine mimics my grandpas ringtone cause he wants someone to pay attention to him.