• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hazel has passed away.

plushbytes

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker but this is my first post.

I am in complete shock right now. My beloved Hazel has passed. He was a seemingly healthy 3.5 year old green cheek conure who crossed the rainbow bridge this late afternoon. It was an unexpected passing. He showed no signs of sickness or un-wellness, and he waited until I left the room before he passed.

I keep my 3 birds in my bedroom. I have a 6 year old budgie called Kazoo, a young 1.5 year old disabled green cheek conure called Yoshi, and used to have a 3.5 year old green cheek conure named Hazel. I normally stay on my laptop in my room and play with my birdies while working on schoolwork or playing video games with my boyfriend. For the past few days, I have moved my laptop to the kitchen so I can look at the wild birds outside. Right now is the great sand crane migration where I live so I'm always trying to spot them.

My dad was picking me up after work today to go Christmas shopping for the family and when I went into my room to grab my laptop bag, that's when I noticed that Hazel was laying at the bottom of his cage. On very rare occasions, Hazel will go to the bottom and play with some bell-toys that roll around and he loved to chase them and fling them around. But this time he was laying sideways at an awkward position with one of his legs sticking straight out. I already knew at this point he has passed. He was completely fine this morning when I had turned the lights on at 9am and said good morning to them and when I went in my room later to grab a textbook. At this point I was calling his name over and over again and eventually I was just screaming his name and hyperventilating. I ran from my room and out to the living room to call my mom at work and tell her that Hazel had passed. My 16 year old brother heard me freaking out and already assumed what had happened.

I was in so much shock I couldn't even cry. It was hard to process what happened. I gently lifted his body out of the cage and cupped him in my hands and sobbed. He didn't have any cuts, scratches, blocked vents, or anything else. I mostly just remember the position he was stiff in and his half-opened glossy eyes. I don't even remember if he was cold or warm when I cradled him because the panic I was in made my hands feel hot. I checked his cage for any signs that would've helped me but I found nothing. No dangerous toys, no blood, no weird droppings, and no items that looked like they were ingested other than his pellets or clean water. I held his body for about 1.5 hours just petting his feathers. The sight of his passed body didn't upset me, it comforts me to hold him and mourn for some reason. I feel like it is his "shell" he left behind. I talked with my mom in the living room when she got home about his unexpected death and how much of a happy birdie he was. He passed at only 3.5 years with no signs of sickness. This was a bird that was supposed to be with me for decades. He was with me when I was severely depressed and gave me a reason to get out of bed and motivate myself. It wasn't supposed to end this way.

The only person home was me and my brother (my mom was at work). We have completed adjusted our lifestyle because we know birds are incredibly sensitive to scents so we didn't use any today. Something like that would've killed all my birds. After discussing my options with my mom, we decided to get him a necropsy for the safety of our own birds, for my closure, and for better avian veterinary science. We did some quick research and found a place that provides a service like that. I gently wrapped his body up in paper towel and taped the loose corners, placed his body in a ziploc bag, and stored him in the refrigerator (NOT the freezer). He will be taken tomorrow at 2:45pm and I will update this post when we get results (about 10 days).

My heart feels so heavy right now. None of my birds were really bonded to each other, but they loved singing to each other through their cages. I showed Kazoo Hazel's body from a distance but I don't think he understands. I then showed Yoshi, and it was heartbreaking. He ran to the front of the cage expecting to see Hazel, and then he lowered his head and puffed up all his head feathers, and that's when I think he knew. I have been crying in random bursts the past few hours and have a severe headache from crying. I removed Hazels cage from my room into the garage and cleaned up the area under his cage just in case he had an illness that would spread to my flock. I feel like a bad bird owner because he had such a short life. He came from a very reputable breeder in my area. I feel like a bad bird owner for not being there with him while he passed. I understand that birds hide their illness as long as possible, so I think he waited until I was out of the room. It brings me some comfort to know he passed on the area of other birds, something I know he loves. But I believe being a good bird owner means being prepared for death, even if it is unexpected. I just wish I could cradle his body more but I understand he needs to be preserved for accurate lab testing. My room won't be the same anymore, there's one less bird cage in there and it feels so empty. I'm so torn on feeling like a bad bird owner because of his short life, but I know there was absolutely no warning signs or anything I could do. I just hope whatever happened, it happened quick for him. My poor baby is gone and it doesn't feel real. I have finals week next week for college, and I'm just going to push through and then give myself time to grieve since I don't have any right now.

Sorry for the long post. I don't have many people to talk to about this. I hope this is the right place to express my feelings. He is in a better place now and no longer suffering, and that's all I want. <3

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
I am so sorry for your loss....................... :sadhug:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry your sweet boy :sadhug:

Aves

I'm sorry for your loss...:sadhug2::sorrow:
Many birds have died here recently...
It was your bird's time to join the flock...
And he will never forget you...
Fly high sweet boy...

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I am so sorry for your loss :sadhug:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard when it happens so suddenly, and I hope you find some answers.
:sadhug2:

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
I'm so sorry for your loss. I haven't had a bird pass away but I can imagine what it feels like.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Oh my gosh, I'm already crying for you. Its so heartbreaking, I hope everything goes well with your college and all.
Again, I'm so so so sorry :sadhug2: :sad10:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your sweet Hazel!! Sounds like he was a very special bird. :sadhug:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I am SO SORRY... You sound like a good mom... I hope the future birdies will find your welcome home... Give yourself time to grieve [juggling a college education/ regular life with family/ and a bird flock-- is not an easy task]... sounds like you have a plan-- if you're going to envelope your emotions now so you can focus on your upcoming finals.... WOW, that takes alot of maturity. You will do well... take care.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so sorry...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so very sorry for your loss. If there is any possibility, please take him to your vet for a necropsy to determine why he died and if it was anything that may effect your other birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m very sorry for your loss :sadhug:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Hankmacaw
we decided to get him a necropsy for the safety of our own birds, for my closure, and for better avian veterinary science. We did some quick research and found a place that provides a service like that. I gently wrapped his body up in paper towel and taped the loose corners, placed his body in a ziploc bag, and stored him in the refrigerator (NOT the freezer). He will be taken tomorrow at 2:45pm and I will update this post when we get results (about 10 days).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I'm so sorry for your loss

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm so sorry for your loss. Fly high, Hazel.

plushbytes

Meeting neighbors
I will definitely post results here once I get them.

I have never had a necropsy done before so I am new to this. My mom was able to take off work and drive me up to a veterinary diagnostic laboratory around 2:00pm EST. We filled out some paperwork and talk a little bit with the lady out front. She told me they would be able to perform necropsy same day since he wasn't frozen and it was before 2:30pm. I had pulled him out of the fridge and put him into a lunch bag cooler with an ice pack covered in a towel so he wouldn't freeze but still stay cool. It was a heartbreaking process. We pulled into a garage so they could collect him. He was wrapped up in paper towel and a plastic bag when I handed him to the laboratory lady. After the necropsy, he will be transferred to a pet crematorium and be made into ashes. The necropsy was $196 and the cremation will be $130. Results should still be in 10 businesses days but I still have an aching to know what happened to him.

My other birds are doing fine. They all aren't bonded to each other so there isn't much mourning except for on my part. I received an email from the lab a few minutes ago that said they are doing 4 bacterial culture tests (I assume body fluids). I hope they find something because he passed away at such a young age (3.5 years) for a green cheek conure. The last thing I would want to hear is that he had a sickness that could've spread to my other birds, but I've already taken all the precautions I can at this moment.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow: