• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's bird bread and sudden preference change

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
How often can I feed my birds Harrison's bird bread? My birds are in love with it.

The main reason I'm asking is that all of a sudden Walad (my cockatiel) started refusing to eat the pellets. She now willingly eats veggies sprinkled with either crushed pellets or crushed Harrison's treat and she loves the bird bread from Harrison's. She's not even into seeds as much anymore. I can't leave vegetables in her bowl for the whole day while I'm at work, so I'm wondering if it's okay to give her the bird bread instead and veggies when I'm back?

Can this change in her preferences be connected to hormones and her desire to lay eggs, so she prefers softer food now?

Another change in her behavior is that she keeps flying down to the floor and tries to chew the wall, searching for calcium? She has a cuttlebone and calcium perch in her cage though. Also, even when I'm near she keeps making a flock call, constantly. As if she's trying to tell me that she wants something, but I can't figure out what exactly.

I spoke to the vet and he told me to give her crushed eggs shell mixed in her food and hard boiled egg yolk twice a week. Does this advice make sense to you guys?

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I spoke to the vet and he told me to give her crushed eggs shell mixed in her food and hard boiled egg yolk twice a week. Does this advice make sense to you guys?
This is the only one I can aswer with a degree of certainty. Not a bad advice. Egg yolk is full of vitamin D3 and has the added bonus of being rich in protein. The shells should replenish some of the minerals needed.

Apart from chickens I really have no expirience in hormonal hens.:shrug: So dare not give any advice.

Can give a similar example, though. I was trying really hard to get Loki to forage/ play/ keep busy while I'm at work. So I hid almonds and pistachios around his cage. The end result was he expected to always have his full of them, he didn't eat pellets any more. (And no pellets aren't a good enough motivation to him :meh:)
A bit of tough love was imposed on him,, no more special treats in the cage... He resumed eating pellets by evening the next day.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
This is the only one I can aswer with a degree of certainty. Not a bad advice. Egg yolk is full of vitamin D3 and has the added bonus of being rich in protein. The shells should replenish some of the minerals needed.

Apart from chickens I really have no expirience in hormonal hens.:shrug: So dare not give any advice.

Can give a similar example, though. I was trying really hard to get Loki to forage/ play/ keep busy while I'm at work. So I hid almonds and pistachios around his cage. The end result was he expected to always have his full of them, he didn't eat pellets any more. (And no pellets aren't a good enough motivation to him :meh:)
A bit of tough love was imposed on him,, no more special treats in the cage... He resumed eating pellets by evening the next day.
Thanks for your response!

I usually do not leave any treat inside the cage. I used to give all my birds either fruits or seeds when they're out, but now seeds are only limited to training treats, fruits they get every other day. The hormones and preference change due to that is the only explanation I could come up with :shrug: