• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guys, YOU MUST HELP ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
I need you all to give me all ur experience on taming lovebirds. I have 2 young fids 1 1/2 month-old each and another one 2 weeks old.
I want to know when is the right time to start taming and training. PLEASE HELP

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Some background information on your birds may be helpful. The two week old Lovebird should be at the end stage of being parent-fed, as I don't think babies are pulled from the nest by breeders/handfeeders until at least three weeks for hand-feedings, and so he/she should soon start on hand-feedings four times per day, depending on the bird. How long have you had the 1.5 month old Lovebird? What is his/her history. If it has been parent-raised until now, it will likely be very fearful of humans due to lack of socialization by humans. It is not impossible to tame them, but socialization should start as soon as possible, by offering it treats by hand, or even hand-feeding from a spoon to begin engaging it in human-fid interaction.

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
they all hatched in here and they're all parent-fed. i have no idea about hand-feeding and taming. i really need help

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I do not have any advise but one thing CALM DOWN you are at the rite place to get the info you need so deep breaths Doctor help is coming ;)

Last edited:

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. iwill

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I know this is hard to be patient because when my birds had their babies at the start all I wanted to do was to cuddle and hold them and start training. Which scared them a little because even though they'd "grown up" in my house the world outside their nest box was completely different.

Can you give some more info about them as Lovebird Lady asks? How long have you had them/when did you get them? The little one sounds as if he's very little and I know from having lovies that they can move around very fast, specially the older one if he flies. If you can, talk to them when you're in the room with them and offer a little millet as a "peace" sign so they know you're not going to eat them. ;) And as Mr Crowley says, take a deep breath - they can feel when we're upset and it will affect them too. :eek:

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Maybe we should get admin to bump this to 911 forum sounds serious . ill contact admin

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
If you do not know how to hand-feed, it is safer to leave the feeding and weaning to the parents, but this may delay socialization of the babies, as they will likely view humans as unfamiliar and unsafe, in comparison to the familiar care they receive from their parents, by the time they are fully weaned. To my knowledge, socialization by humans, in this case, cannot begin until the babies have been fully weaned by the parents, but I'm not familiar with attempting to handle babies from the nest, while they are still being parent-fed. Not sure if other members have had experience with socializing babies while they are being parent-fed.

Is the 1.5 month old now eating on it own? What diet are your birds on? For Lovebirds, a mix of pellets and seed with fresh fruits and vegetables is recommended. If the 1.5 month old is eating on its own, I would separate it from his parents, placing it in its own cage with toys, where you can begin socializing it. You can begin by spending time with the babies in a different room from the parents. Talking to them softly, over time, will allow them to become accustomed to your presence, and then as I described in my post above, continue by offering it treats by hand, or even hand-feeding from a spoon to begin engaging it in human-fid interaction. Placing a favorite treat, such as millet, hidden in your hand, where the baby can see it, may entice it to attempt to pry it out from between your fingers, and this exercise may ease the bird's fears of humans over time, viewing human hands as rewarding. I would do the same with the two week old baby as soon as it is weaned. Good luck :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The videos Ginger posted on handfeeding are a great resource, if you choose to do that. :) It sounds like the babies are with their parents and in no immediate danger. The request is for help with taming and training, and this can be accomplished by co-parenting or just getting them accustomed to humans slowly over time. I've got no experience with co-parenting, though, so others may be able to help you.

I do have a parent-reared bird here, who was finish-weaned and socialized by humans. He's not a fully socialized pet, but last night he sat on my knee while I watched television. :) He will also take treats from my hand and give me kisses. As far as I'm concerned, he's tame enough.

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
thank u Ginger for the videos you posted, but these are budgies. As I said before, all three of them hatched in my house as I'm breeding them and all three of them are parent-fed till now.

Picaroon

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kymi
I'm confused... In the original post you stated that they are lovebirds. Are they lovebirds or budgies? :confused:

P.S. I hope this is an "accidental" breeding. If you're serious on breeding your birds you should try to research all of this beforehand.
:(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Regardless, the basics are the same. You need to be prepared to feed in case the parents reject the chicks and there are some very good socialization information in those videos. I agree 100% with the above poster, the babies and parents are depending on you.

Ginger

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
I'm confused... In the original post you stated that they are lovebirds. Are they lovebirds or budgies? :confused:

P.S. I hope this is an "accidental" breeding. If you're serious on breeding your birds you should try to research all of this beforehand.
:(
I don't think that i'm so understandable. I said i have lovebirds but the videos she posed were for budgies. This is not the first time that i breed love birds actually there brother lives with them in the same cage "WITH HIS WIFE" :)

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
The videos Ginger posted are lovebirds, which is why I think people were confused. :)

Do you have pictures of your birds? I would love to see them.

Last edited:

rossoneri

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dr. Ahmed Refat
love birds.jpg
​But these 3 are older, about 4or 5 months old

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Guys, the dr. is from Egypt, cut him some slack. To tame birds is simple, as with any bird. Talk and work slowly and kindly around them. Offer a small treat from your hand, like a bit of millet. Sit and read aloud or sing softly. Where is their cage located and how big is the cage? Are they allowed to come out and play? Do you have a separate play area for them? Sometimes birds who feel uneasy will want to stay in their cage where they feel safe. Allowing them to come out and play with small toys, or forage for food, and treats, and little things to chew on can make them feel more at ease. Taming takes time and patience. Socializing the young one should be done for only a few minutes at a time. He is way too young to be out away from warmth for very long, as he is just a baby. Patience is the most important component.:hug8:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Also, you really need to consider giving them toys to play with, and get rid of that plastic perch and get them a natural wood and maybe a rope one. I fear these guys are left in a small cage with not much to do? The cage location is important because if it is a busy spot with children, or other pets like cats or dogs running around, this will make them more uneasy. Especially if they are parent reared.This is ingrained by instinct. Remember, YOU are considered a huge predator to them. Unless you slowly show them otherwise.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
One more thing, with lovebirds, they should be handled every day or they get nippy. They may never tame completely as a handfed baby would, but you might try stick training or clicker training first. In the training section there should be a lot of information, and I believe a tutorial on clicker training.

Status
Not open for further replies.