• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green cheek with yellow shoulders?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Most likely you have parents that had splits or were not normal cheeks. I have a guy with almost that coloring and he is split from a normal cheek and I think a yellow sided...he has smaller orange patches on his shoulders.

rocco.jpg

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Most likely you have parents that had splits or were not normal cheeks. I have a guy with almost that coloring and he is split from a normal cheek and I think a yellow sided...he has smaller orange patches on his shoulders.

View attachment 320228
Hey, Chandra what happened to your baby's left foot?
I once had a Quaker missing 3 toes, 2 on one foot and 1 on the other.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hey, Chandra what happened to your baby's left foot?
I once had a Quaker missing 3 toes, 2 on one foot and 1 on the other.
Both Rocco and Maui have a missing toe from a quaker bite in their previous home. Julip has a missing toe from an unknown injury.

Idefix21

Checking out the neighborhood
The shoulders on a green cheek means that the bird carries a specific gene, which is very practical for breeding purposes. My turquoise green cheek has yellow shoulders, and he carries the gene for yellow-sided (the breeder told me). I have just rescued a normal green cheek with reddish shoulders, and I can assume that it could be related to a red factor gene.

Anyways, I know the post was old, but the information wasn't really out there other than being normal or not to worry about.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The shoulders on a green cheek means that the bird carries a specific gene, which is very practical for breeding purposes. My turquoise green cheek has yellow shoulders, and he carries the gene for yellow-sided (the breeder told me). I have just rescued a normal green cheek with reddish shoulders, and I can assume that it could be related to a red factor gene.

Anyways, I know the post was old, but the information wasn't really out there other than being normal or not to worry about.
I've heard this information isn't reliable... there have been breeders that have bred for red shoulders without mutations.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Looks like the beginning of a yellow side gcc - I have a girl Loki who has yellow on her shoulders and across her stomach along with red.

Hi. I know this is an old post. I’m new and your girl is so pretty! Pitchounette is also a YS GCC. Hatch date 2-15-21 3742D2FD-FD12-4687-B21A-D03B4C810CF9.jpeg 3742D2FD-FD12-4687-B21A-D03B4C810CF9.jpeg

∙ Cinnamon

Hi! My Cinnamon Turquoise GCC has the same thing! When I adopted her she had yellow shoulders. But they were much fuller then. Since she got on a healthy pellet diet her yellow has changed a lot. I’ve had Cinnamon for about 2 years now. Her yellow is quite abundant. A041090E-A404-46A4-A66B-76E494231F24.jpeg

Cjthorsos

Real Name
Cj thorsos
My baby boy Jasper is about six months old and he is just at the tail end of his first molt. And these yellow patches appeared on his shoulder as well when he's a turquoise green cheek conure. I was worried at first too that's how I stumbled across this site though is googling about the shoulder patches. (Yay)
So I'm new to the community glad to be here. Thank you guys for your the post and the information and hopefully I can contribute as well.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Cjthorsos welcome to the forum! :) I would say those patches are nothing to be concerned about, but if he keeps them, it makes him a bit more unique! ;)

Cjthorsos

Real Name
Cj thorsos
@Cjthorsos welcome to the forum! :) I would say those patches are nothing to be concerned about, but if he keeps them, it makes him a bit more unique! ;)
Thank you and i'm glad to be here. Yeah he is definitely a little unique himself. Speaking up a storm and that's unique from what i've read with green cheek conures as well. And thank you for the peace of mind as well

AmandaDorn

Real Name
Amanda lawlor
Our turquoise boy has yellow shoulders parents are both splits received_751719178782777.jpeg
I don't have 20230603_220145.jpg any green cheeks with yellow shoulders, but it is pretty neat! :)

There really aren't any safe bird lights that will provide UV, so please do not waste money spending more than you need to! That said, a good "daylight" bulb above the cage can still be beneficial! :)