• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GoldenConure Enlarged Heart

Burgundy7

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Burgundy
Hi all. Our male Golden Conure died yesterday and he was younger than 5 years old (hatch date 06/06/18). We got him from Omar’s in So Cal as original owners. He had always been healthy with high energy and no issues. He was fine in the morning, at lunchtime he didn’t each much and by dinner he was tachypnic, audible breathing, and malaise. Took him to the emergency avian vet right away and within 20 mins he died. They had taken a chest X-ray and said his heart was enlarged, likely congenital. He was so young and it was such an acute episode. Has anybody else had this in any of their birds?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness I'm so very sorry for your loss. That is absolutely tragic :(
I lost my Green Cheek from heart disease unexpectedly but she was minimum 12 years old possibly older since I adopted her as a supposedly 1 year old but she was unbanded so I never knew her true age.
She'd had no signs of issues and had an xray within 6 months that looked fine since she was dealing with fatty liver disease so this came completely out of the blue

She was taking a bath in her water bowl having a great time I looked over and saw her tipping to the side I ran over and caught her and she was acting drunk and unable to stand. I rushed her to the vet an hour away and she seemed to rally on the way there was climbing around her cage and shaking her food bowl.

The vet started her exam and less than 5 minutes later Nala lost consciousness she rushed her back there and tried everything including 2 doses of Epinephrine into her heart but it was no use she was gone.

I'm just so sorry that you've had to experience this sad loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road