• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Ginger

Spice

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ginger
Hi, I’m new to this group, My name is Ginger. I have two Green Cheek Conures, Griffin, and Pheonix. I brought Griffin home last winter and she is so awesome! She is talking now and very bonded to me, I’ve found that during the summer months I’m not home as much so she is in her cage and alone too much, I leave a radio on for her, but I still feel guilty so I bought a male conure, (Pheonix). I just brought him home yesterday and he is so sweet, he fell asleep in my arms last night.
I have them in separate cages at this but am wondering how do I eventually get them together? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Ginger 1.welcome signs.gif

@Leih has recently brought home a second conure and is also currently going through the introductions, she posted a thread here;

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hi and welcome!

For the first four weeks I kept Caoimhe (the new conure) in my bedroom and didn't do any introductions. This is for quarantine and also to help her adjust and get to know me. After the four weeks I would keep her in her cage and bring Galahad in on my hand to see her for just a minute or so, and then he'd get a treat. Then eventually I brought her entire cage in to the bird room while still keeping her in her cage. I let them guide me. Soon, Galahad would go over to her cage and sit and look at her and she'd look at him. Then I caught them preening! I let them meet out of the cage soon after while I was supervising and if one looks annoyed I quickly put a sheet of paper between them (thanks for the tip @owlsthetic!) my difficulties with my two is that Caoimhe wants to be immediately best friends with Galahad and invaded his space. She's getting better. I'm still heavily supervising but I will give them some snacks to eat near each other but make sure Caoimhe minds her business. I am truly surprised how well they are doing together.

I will tag other conure people for you. @Wardy @wepchirp Sorry if I'm forgetting anyone.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As above my second bird was in qt for a period of time I think this is a massive benefit as they hear each other but can't see each other and it makes them curious.
Introduced them in the same room together different ends of the room from each other moved cages closer and both got separate out of cage time, I can't remember how long the separate out of cage time there was it was a bit of nightmare with them climbing over each others cages and nipping at each other I separated them with a perch.
So just let them out together they checked each other and over a few days become good friends.
Always feed Griffin first and fuss him first when they are in the same room, and always let Griffin out first.
I have has mine for over two years and they still have separate cages they are friends but not bonded.
Try and read your birds ( easier said than done ) but try and let them lead you.
@Pixiebeak is great with bird behaviour, I know my birds but thats been learnt over a period of time if you patient and observe you will pick signs up.
Be prepared for them not liking each other, be prepared for them being besties then having trouble with them during molt and hormones.
When out of cage together have multiple play areas, multiple foraging opportunities and expect the unexpected.
Lovely birds and love there names.
Anything you are uncertain off ask away there will always be good advice offered on the forum.
:welave:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I do as wardy described above. Going slow helps prevent misunderstanding. GCC can hold a grudge a long time if they have a sister at first meeting. And I think as a smaller core family type flocking species they are at first defensive.

But if your 2 have already met and hit it off that's great. But seperste cages and I ky out together with you around.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator