• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Galahad and Caoimhe

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think love is in the air for my two conures!

So far Galahad will go up to Caoimhe's cage while she's in it and they'll do a little beaking, but not aggressive, and no toes bitten. I break it up pretty fast because I'm nervous. I have let them meet outside of their cages in a neutral space with treats, but so far they keep their distance. They definitely watch each other and Caoimhe is already mimicking Galahad. They're very interested in each other and so far I haven't seen any aggression.

Also, Caoimhe got a new cage! It's nothing fancy, everything is out of stock or discontinued right now, but this is the right size. It's the same size as Galahad's.

Attachments

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
We also got some awesome news toys from Seriously Nutz! Caoimhe is unsure about these thicker pieces, but I'm sure she'll take a crack at them soon! We got some 3/8" slats from CA Bird Nerds, too, so her little beak will be busy for awhile!

Attachments

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
How sweet!! They are adorable! :heart: :xflove:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww they're adorable together! I hope things continue to go well :heart:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aww they're adorable together! I hope things continue to go well :heart:
I am pretty surprised how interested Galahad is in her. We're taking it super slow and I'm letting him show me what he wants to do. She wants to sit right next to him but he's not ready.

He's been a lone bird for awhile (aka big spoiled baby). I always think he's too bonded to me, he has some feather destructive behaviors, so this will be really good for him. I feel a little sad about the prospect of our bond changing although I know I'll get over it because it's for his well being. He's been my baby for so long! I feel like I imagine a parent feels when their kids grow up! :wacky:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They are sure adorable! Ok, I am SO curious. Is the name Caoimhe a Celtic name?
And can you please tell me how you pronounce it phonetically?
Is it like "Comb"? Or maybe "Cammie"? Hmmm... those Celtic names always throw me as much as 'shillelagh'! :toofunny:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
They are sure adorable! Ok, I am SO curious. Is the name Caoimhe a Celtic name?
Is it like "Comb"? Or maybe "Cammie"? Hmmm... those Celtic names always throw me as much as 'shillelagh'! :toofunny:
It's Gaelic, pronounced like Keeva. I had a lovebird who I had named Aoife, but she died last year and it was really hard for me. So I wanted a name that would remind me of her. :)

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am pretty surprised how interested Galahad is in her. We're taking it super slow and I'm letting him show me what he wants to do. She wants to sit right next to him but he's not ready.

He's been a lone bird for awhile (aka big spoiled baby). I always think he's too bonded to me, he has some feather destructive behaviors, so this will be really good for him. I feel a little sad about the prospect of our bond changing although I know I'll get over it because it's for his well being. He's been my baby for so long! I feel like I imagine a parent feels when their kids grow up! :wacky:
Haha I definitely feel you on feeling like your little baby is growing up so fast. I have to admit I was a bit lonely when Pico stopped following me every time I went out a bit to go the the bathroom or change water, etc he was more interested in Sonny. Although now Sonny clings to me so he follows me where I go and Pico follows the both of us (or mostly Sonny) :roflmao: So the dynamic has changed but not really :lol:But I think having another birdie friend has definitely made Pico a happier birdie so I'm sure Galahad feels the same! :D

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's really positive and I am sure things will carry on getting better, don't worry about your relationship changing with your first bird Mojo still needs time with her humans even though her and KeeKs enjoy time together, and it is great to watch them getting along together.
We also got some awesome news toys from Seriously Nutz! Caoimhe is unsure about these thicker pieces, but I'm sure she'll take a crack at them soon! We got some 3/8" slats from CA Bird Nerds, too, so her little beak will be busy for awhile!
The thicker pieces will slow the destruction down Mojo is still enjoying her Nutz toys that I bought her last time that are thicker.
The thinner toys just weren't challenging enough and she could destroy a toy in a couple of days, I do swap the thicker toys out weekly for her so she doesn't get bored.

They are lovely and I am sure they will get on and Gallahad will still want to engage with you maybe not as much though.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Is the beaking just a greating/checking each other out thing? They did it tonight while out of the cage and again it's not aggressive.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I swear Galahad is showing off for her, too :roflmao: he did a trick in front of her without me even asking.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That's really positive and I am sure things will carry on getting better, don't worry about your relationship changing with your first bird Mojo still needs time with her humans even though her and KeeKs enjoy time together, and it is great to watch them getting along together.

The thicker pieces will slow the destruction down Mojo is still enjoying her Nutz toys that I bought her last time that are thicker.
The thinner toys just weren't challenging enough and she could destroy a toy in a couple of days, I do swap the thicker toys out weekly for her so she doesn't get bored.

They are lovely and I am sure they will get on and Gallahad will still want to engage with you maybe not as much though.
That's my issue. Finding a size that is challenging but not overwhelming. Caoimhe seems to like almost everything though, which is really satisfying to give your bird a toy and watch them destroy it! She's chewing on a Nutz toy that has thinner slats mixed with thicker notched ones. She really likes notches. Have you tried these big cork chunks? Some people I know use them as perches and their birds love it! I put one in for Caoimhe and she's enjoying it.

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's my issue. Finding a size that is challenging but not overwhelming. Caoimhe seems to like almost everything though, which is really satisfying to give your bird a toy and watch them destroy it! She's chewing on a Nutz toy that has thinner slats mixed with thicker notched ones. She really likes notches. Have you tried these big cork chunks? Some people I know use them as perches and their birds love it! I put one in for Caoimhe and she's enjoying it.
They both have corks but not large chunks.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
It's Gaelic, pronounced like Keeva. I had a lovebird who I had named Aoife, but she died last year and it was really hard for me. So I wanted a name that would remind me of her. :)
Wow - Keeva, I never would have guessed. At one time I wanted to learn Gaelic, and then I totally chickened out realizing how difficult it is I think anyhow! Ok, now I have to ask how to pronounce Aoife? :lol:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Wow - Keeva, I never would have guessed. At one time I wanted to learn Gaelic, and then I totally chickened out realizing how difficult it is I think anyhow! Ok, now I have to ask how to pronounce Aoife? :lol:
Eefa :) it makes the vet difficult, but oh well.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Eefa :) it makes the vet difficult, but oh well.
I can only imagine!
I can hear it now - they are calling you back saying "It's time for uh, er, uh, A- O - I - F - E to come back to the exam room" (spelling the entire name!)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I can only imagine!
I can hear it now - they are calling you back saying "It's time for uh, er, uh, A- O - I - F - E to come back to the exam room" (spelling the entire name!)
They would try to sound it out "a-oi... F?" :roflmao: I'm sure they'll pronounce Caoimhe like "kay-om-hee". When I call for an appointment I have to say the name and how it's spelled. I just have to be difficult! But dang did Aoife touch my heart and I miss her still and I'm sentimental :heart:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Pretty sure the dynamic now is annoying little sister pestering her big brother :roflmao: Caoimhe keeps wanting to sit right next to Galahad and he's like "whoa that's too close!" She follows him like a puppy.He likes to sit on the perch on the front of her cage while she's in it. That seems to be a good way for him to socialize with her with a boundary. I can't believe how well they're doing! Definitely friends already. :heart:

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You would pronounce almost all the letters and then smooth it over. The "mh" is pronounced "v" in gaelic and gháidhlig.. so, like "Quee-va" Quee like queen, va with a hard A like apple.

Love seeing the pair togegther! They are the sweetest, and I am really rooting for them to become buddies! :swoon: