• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

galvanized metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinh

Walking the driveway
so the boyfriend trying to be nice bought me a new outdoor aviary on craigslist. i found it on a lowes website and it says its galvanized. its wonderful because its 6 ft x 10ft x 6 ft. is there anything we can do for it so that it will be safe for my blue and gold. I'd really hate for my boyfriend to be out the $200 when he was just trying to be thoughtful.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have heard that you can scrub it with either baking soda or vinegar to neutralize the galvanization, and several breeders and owner of aviaries I know have done this and not experienced problems. Almost all of them have very small birds (canaries, budgies, finches, other types of parakeets) though. Professionals in the metal industry I've spoken to however have said that this wouldn't really be all that effective chemically or physically. Personally, I would never put my birds, no matter the size, in a galvanized cage or aviary-- especially one with a beak like a B&G.

jinh

Walking the driveway
"After the frame is in place, use a galvanized, welded-wire cloth for the walls and roof. The wire spacing and gauge parameters depend on what size birds you are housing. “Finch aviaries would need small spacing between the wire, and a thinner gauge wire would be adequate,” McCawley said. “However, an aviary for a hyacinth macaw would require very heavy gage wire with larger spacing between the wire, so they do not get toes or beaks caught in a restrictive space.”

Build An Outdoor Bird Aviary this is the bird channel website

is that different than just regular galvanized wire? the one i have just looks like a chain link fence.

evsrin

Rollerblading along the road
I have heard that you can scrub it with either baking soda or vinegar to neutralize the galvanization, and several breeders and owner of aviaries I know have done this and not experienced problems. Almost all of them have very small birds (canaries, budgies, finches, other types of parakeets) though. Professionals in the metal industry I've spoken to however have said that this wouldn't really be all that effective chemically or physically. Personally, I would never put my birds, no matter the size, in a galvanized cage or aviary-- especially one with a beak like a B&G.
From my understanding it's not about neutralizing it necessarily (because I'm not sure how that would be possible either), but more so about getting off any little debris that could be ingested.

My Uncle was a breeder for many years and made his own cages using this method. He bred everything from finches to macaws for 30 years and never had a problem.

evsrin

"After the frame is in place, use a galvanized, welded-wire cloth for the walls and roof. The wire spacing and gauge parameters depend on what size birds you are housing. “Finch aviaries would need small spacing between the wire, and a thinner gauge wire would be adequate,” McCawley said. “However, an aviary for a hyacinth macaw would require very heavy gage wire with larger spacing between the wire, so they do not get toes or beaks caught in a restrictive space.”

is that different than just regular galvanized wire? the one i have just looks like a chain link fence.
Hmm, is kinda sounds like you have a dog run/kennel rather then a bird-specific aviary. If that's the case, then I really have no idea what that wire is. Hopefully someone else can help.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

I believe wire cloth looks and is made differently but still poses the same danger if it's galvanized. I personally wouldn't use chain link fence / chicken wire as these are typically even lower quality galvanization processes. There is a difference between galvanized before or after weld and GAW is generally considered safer. Still, most bird owners I know wouldn't use it if it's galvanized, period. The only exceptions I would make are with enormous outdoor aviaries that allow flight (say, 30 x 30 feet) where there is so much space and room that the bird most likely wouldn't be too interested in the wire.

jinh

Walking the driveway
honestly i think it is for a dog. its on the lowe's website and it says its galvanized. i think my boyfriend was just thinking it would be good because of the size.

jinh

Walking the driveway
so should i just keep the frame, toss the galvanized wire mesh and go buy some stainless steel mesh and re wrap it? is stainless steel what most people use?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
so should i just keep the frame, toss the galvanized wire mesh and go buy some stainless steel mesh and re wrap it? is stainless steel what most people use?
What's the frame made of?

Stainless steel is definitely the safest option. I know a bunch of people who have made their own SS aviaries and cages but I know just as many who opted to buy a ready-made one when they realized how much it cost. When you factor in the cost plus your labor and tools needed (wire cutters, proper sanding equipment, etc.)... it is often a lot easier to buy rather than DIY.

evsrin

The amount of SS mesh you'd have to buy is going to be extremely expensive! I'd honestly guess that it would cost more then the $200 you paid for it.

Last edited:

evsrin

IF the frame is suitable, and you find that the wire is not, you might be able to buy the kind of hardware cloth that we use for cages and treat that yourself before attaching it. That is going to be MUCH more affordable them re-covering it with SS wire. It's not as simple as switching some wire out though, we are in the process of building a cage right now and it was very difficult to manage the hardware cloth as I was cleaning it in the tub.

jinh

Walking the driveway
i dont know so i'm going to assume its probably galvanized also but is smooth without the bits of excess debris. i just read about a lady who had used a strong nylon mesh to wrap hers. so maybe i'll look into that.

http://www.parrotchronicles.com/winter2001/index.htm

by the way...how are you treating yours? and what is hardware cloth?

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as your not going to leave them unsupervised out there you can use this polypropylene netting. It's very tough. There are different strengths and gauges. A large parrot could chew a hole in it if he was given enough time to work on one spot but if they are supervised then you can avoid that.

TOPRITE® Game Farm Netting

jinh

Walking the driveway
i've found some poultry netting at home depot that is pliable and is pvc coated...shouldn't that be ok?

evsrin

i dont know so i'm going to assume its probably galvanized also but is smooth without the bits of excess debris. i just read about a lady who had used a strong nylon mesh to wrap hers. so maybe i'll look into that.

ParrotChronicles.com

by the way...how are you treating yours? and what is hardware cloth?
Hardware cloth is just what the wire I use is referred to, you can get it at lowe's or home depot. I scrubbed mine in the tub with hot water & baking soda.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
i've found some poultry netting at home depot that is pliable and is pvc coated...shouldn't that be ok?
PVC coated wire is not very sturdy at all for a big beak and can be toxic when chewed.

jinh

Walking the driveway
so your uncle used hardware cloth (what material is it made of?) and just scrubbed it with baking soda and didn't have issues with his macaws? what is the solution..how much baking soda/water? just scrub with a dish scrubber?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Scrubbing the cloth/mesh only gets rid of residual galvanizing that may have leached. Weathering is what makes the residue appear. It is a form of rusting. The white stuff that appears is the galvanized form of rust. Scrubbing it will not get rid of the galvanizing. The mesh is dipped in it and is part of the coating on the mesh. If the bird is going to chew on the wire it is toxic and will harm the bird. Excessive climbing and mouthing on it will do the same harm.

Check out the link I posted above it that is going to be a problem.

jinh

Walking the driveway
i see. i don't really plan on leaving him for hours unsupervised, but maybe like 2 while i clean the house. he hates the vacuum cleaner, so it would be nice if i could put him outdoors for a few hours while i clean. or even just when i get home from work so he can get some fresh air.

evsrin

I know everyone has their own opinions on this topic, and I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but I trust my Uncle's actual experience as well as many cages my Parents' had that their birds lived in for YEARS with no problems. If you're interested in hardware cloth, look into it on the website of home depot or lowe's. I used a few boxes of baking soda and just used a scrub brush to scrub the wire as I dumped baking soda all over it. If you want any more info, just PM me and I will help the best I can. Good luck!

I've consulted with several people who have aviary's built with this hardware cloth and nobody that I know has ever had a problem. With a large Macaw you're going to have to get a thicker gage wire, but it should work just the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.