• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Galah or Eclectus?

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Hi everyone! Couple of days ago i posted a thread about me looking for an addition to my mini flock. So after going through more than 30 shops in the same area, I couldn’t find a bird that’s in a good condition and at a reasonable price. Local shops seem to not care about the birds they’re selling at all. Seen so many sick birds there it pains my heart.

But, I found two options online: Galah, age: 1.8 years old, tame, looks healthy with a nice plumage. For some reason previous owners are looking for a new home for him. I’m also not sure if it’s a he or she (maybe someone can tell?). The price is also high, but I believe he was well taken care of, so I don’t mind paying in this case. I’m going to go look at him tomorrow.

another option: a month old baby Eclectus. I have previous experience with hand feeding And weaning a bird, so this is not a concern to me. My concern is that he will perceive me as his mom and will bond more with my husband how it happened with my IRN, Zazu. He prefers my husband, and I was the one hand feeding him.

Any advices on these species? And is there a chance of baby Eclectus bonding to someone else if I hand feed him?

and maybe there’s a thread about pros and cons of each species? 9C45FE73-0AD0-4B8E-B891-264CB2EEE32B.jpeg

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Look at the good, bad, and ugly stickies (green threads) on ecluctus and cockatoo parts of the forum

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
@mythic55 can tell you about the issues with hand rearing an ekkie. I'm already suspicious about why they would sell one so young. So much can go wrong, and they can take a long time to wean.

All I know is that you found two very high maintenance species!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
One phrase. PBFD. Over 50% of the birds in Dubai are infected with it- it is a slow and painful death. If you flock is healthy, I would highly recomend keeping it that way. I made the Mistake in Dubai of adopting my CAG- I still have nightmares of the slow death, then dramatic death. If they cannot give the propper PBFD and PDD tests from one of the reputable vets (that doesnt mean the market vets)- pass.

So the difference in the two birds is DRASTIC. I couldnt imagine having a Ekkie in the middle east. They require extremely specialized diet (wide variety of all fresh) and care needs such attention they are not suitable for most households, the environment in UAE alone can be detrimental. Ekkies can not drink the water in UAE, so it needs to be only bottled water even for washing their dishes multiple times a day, and ensure you have heavy air purifiers for the storms (which it looks like you live in meadows maybe?).

Furthermore: It looks as if you already have dusty birds? then Ekkies are a definite NO.

As far as the cockatoo, that is up to you, but ill echo above that they must be clear of illness. They may not look 'sick' because it is a silent killer- and the virus spreads in your air system- stays on surfaces for YEARS. Almost impossible to irratcate. I think there is a very clear thread on how we moved off of palm Jumeirah after carpet bombing the home, cleaning crews and more..... still couldnt get it out.

Edit: Ekkies are also generally one person birds, not usually suitable for any children. They become very aggressive at the one yr mark (which is why they are surrendered so often). They are also very different to hand feed than any other parrot (in my experience which is hundreds of birds in multiple countries).

So my opinion, if you like the cocktoo, go in that direction after a vet of YOUR choosing has OK the health certificate and make sure it is certified.

Mantis64

One phrase. PBFD. Over 50% of the birds in Dubai are infected with it- it is a slow and painful death. If you flock is healthy, I would highly recomend keeping it that way. I made the Mistake in Dubai of adopting my CAG- I still have nightmares of the slow death, then dramatic death. If they cannot give the propper PBFD and PDD tests from one of the reputable vets (that doesnt mean the market vets)- pass.

So the difference in the two birds is DRASTIC. I couldnt imagine having a Ekkie in the middle east. They require extremely specialized diet (wide variety of all fresh) and care needs such attention they are not suitable for most households, the environment in UAE alone can be detrimental. Ekkies can not drink the water in UAE, so it needs to be only bottled water even for washing their dishes multiple times a day, and ensure you have heavy air purifiers for the storms (which it looks like you live in meadows maybe?).

Furthermore: It looks as if you already have dusty birds? then Ekkies are a definite NO.

As far as the cockatoo, that is up to you, but ill echo above that they must be clear of illness. They may not look 'sick' because it is a silent killer- and the virus spreads in your air system- stays on surfaces for YEARS. Almost impossible to irratcate. I think there is a very clear thread on how we moved off of palm Jumeirah after carpet bombing the home, cleaning crews and more..... still couldnt get it out.

Edit: Ekkies are also generally one person birds, not usually suitable for any children. They become very aggressive at the one yr mark (which is why they are surrendered so often). They are also very different to hand feed than any other parrot (in my experience which is hundreds of birds in multiple countries).

So my opinion, if you like the cocktoo, go in that direction after a vet of YOUR choosing has OK the health certificate and make sure it is certified.
I agree it's best not to get an electus as they are severely affected by dusty birds and will eventually die as the dust coats thier lungs. If you want to get another bird it's best to get the galah.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay

Thanks for your detailed response! Really really appreciate it and got the point.
After posting this thread, I’ve read about Eclectus diet that it mostly has to be fresh foods, which I‘m afraid I can provide only in the second half of the day as I’m gone for the first half and don’t have much time in the mornings. So I definitely will not be going in that direction, although I feel like I would love their personality.
I tested both my birds for PBFD and the tests are negative, so they’re healthy.

do you think previous owners should be the ones providing me the health certificate? The PB test for my birds Cost me around 500$ :D
Galah will cost me around 1650$, considering I buy a big cage, perches and toys. Another 150$ would go for general health examination and another 250$ ish for PBFD. (I think my husband is gonna kill me one day :D )
The cost is bearable to us but that’s definitely something to consider.
Another thing that concerns me in a Galah is his destructiveness as many owners pointed out. My IRN is destructive, but I believe not as much as ‘toos and bigger beak in particular can be.
I am trying to carefully chose my next bird as I didn’t get to have much of a take on my two small birdies I have now (don’t get me wrong, I love them very much and can’t imagine myself not having them around). And not to mention I understand it is a lifetime commitment.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
ensure you have heavy air purifiers for the storms (which it looks like you live in meadows maybe?).
We have Dyson air purifier and move it back in forth where the birds are, planning to get another one. Right now we live in a newly constructed area near Expo site and yes it is pretty dusty here, so air purifiers are our best friends

Mantis64

Thanks for your detailed response! Really really appreciate it and got the point.
After posting this thread, I’ve read about Eclectus diet that it mostly has to be fresh foods, which I‘m afraid I can provide only in the second half of the day as I’m gone for the first half and don’t have much time in the mornings. So I definitely will not be going in that direction, although I feel like I would love their personality.
I tested both my birds for PBFD and the tests are negative, so they’re healthy.

do you think previous owners should be the ones providing me the health certificate? The PB test for my birds Cost me around 500$ :D
Galah will cost me around 1650$, considering I buy a big cage, perches and toys. Another 150$ would go for general health examination and another 250$ ish for PBFD. (I think my husband is gonna kill me one day :D )
The cost is bearable to us but that’s definitely something to consider.
Another thing that concerns me in a Galah is his destructiveness as many owners pointed out. My IRN is destructive, but I believe not as much as ‘toos and bigger beak in particular can be.
I am trying to carefully chose my next bird as I didn’t get to have much of a take on my two small birdies I have now (don’t get me wrong, I love them very much and can’t imagine myself not having them around). And not to mention I understand it is a lifetime commitment.
I think you should get another ringneck or other astatic bird so zazu will have a bird friend to play with.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
I think you should get another ringneck or other astatic bird so zazu will have a bird friend to play with.
I was looking for a mustache parakeet, but only found one older couple, which I personally didn’t want to separate (and again, unfortunately not in a great condition).
Still considering a blue IRN, but I’m scared of the noise another IRN and Zazu might create since they’ll be “speaking” the same language

Mantis64

I was looking for a mustache parakeet, but only found one older couple, which I personally didn’t want to separate (and again, unfortunately not in a great condition).
Still considering a blue IRN, but I’m scared of the noise another IRN and Zazu might create since they’ll be “speaking” the same language
What about an alexender or a derbyan

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Oh, also there’s another option to get 5-6 months old Alexandrine, but for some reason I was never really interested in the species. Maybe I’ll also have a look at the baby tomorrow since it’s in the same area. Didn’t find derbyan in the shops or online

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Gokha

It should be your independent vet- you and I both know how the fudge paperwork......

Are those numbers in USD or AED? are you an expat?

It will cost quite a bit to add a family member- consider also the quality of many of the pet products there- at Sharjah bird market and also a pet store off of Shake Zyede rd and one other- I would have to look up where.... that we tested the surfaces and ALL tests came back positive. There was one in Jumeirah 3? that one didnt have a trace but I cant remember the name or exact location.

I used to go to .... if I remember correctly Al Nada Shiba? I cant really recall (im too old and tired now, haha). In which case, have your driver bring you over, you will have to get past the stupid camels and those crazy goats on the dirt road. I think it was 500 aed about 6 years ago, but I would have to double check. But just remember, this is a lifetime commitment, so it should be considered that this will set you and your new firend up for success.

Yes, they are noticeably destructive- Ringnecks yes, but Too's have a special nature and need a lot of stimulation and one on one love, in my opinion. They can also get loud- many people like the compact size of Gah, but I would suggest doing more research till you fid the one that is perfect for you-

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
We have Dyson air purifier and move it back in forth where the birds are, planning to get another one. Right now we live in a newly constructed area near Expo site and yes it is pretty dusty here, so air purifiers are our best friends
I know exactly where you are- then in my opinion- NO to ekkie. No matter what.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I’m scared of the noise another IRN and Zazu might create since they’ll be “speaking” the same language
If you are afraid of noise- then rethink the too- In my opinion. LOL. Others can chime in here

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
@Gokha

It should be your independent vet- you and I both know how the fudge paperwork......

Are those numbers in USD or AED? are you an expat?

It will cost quite a bit to add a family member- consider also the quality of many of the pet products there- at Sharjah bird market and also a pet store off of Shake Zyede rd and one other- I would have to look up where.... that we tested the surfaces and ALL tests came back positive. There was one in Jumeirah 3? that one didnt have a trace but I cant remember the name or exact location.

I used to go to .... if I remember correctly Al Nada Shiba? I cant really recall (im too old and tired now, haha). In which case, have your driver bring you over, you will have to get past the stupid camels and those crazy goats on the dirt road. I think it was 500 aed about 6 years ago, but I would have to double check. But just remember, this is a lifetime commitment, so it should be considered that this will set you and your new firend up for success.

Yes, they are noticeably destructive- Ringnecks yes, but Too's have a special nature and need a lot of stimulation and one on one love, in my opinion. They can also get loud- many people like the compact size of Gah, but I would suggest doing more research till you fid the one that is perfect for you-
The numbers are in USD, I converted for the ease of understanding, in AED it would be roughly 6000 with cage, perches and toys (4500 for the bird).
I used to go to 2 feet 4 paws clinic, but seems they like to order many unnecessary tests :D

So I was planning to visit Nad Al Sheba clinic this time (the one you used to go), but their avian vet is off until end of July, so now i’m considering Falcon Hospital.
The clinic in Jumeirah 3 must be Advanced Pet care (also usually overbooked but i’ll try calling again)

I WANT one on one love since my husband stole Zazu’s heart and my cockatiel is fairly neutral :roflmao: so i’m ready to invest my time into this bird.
We’ll go to check the Galah tomorrow evening and see how it goes. Maybe the bird would not like me at all :D
Now I have another concern, if I do the health tests myself, how can I do that without taking the bird home (to avoid the risk of possibly infecting my birds) :facepalm: the test results come back about a weeks time

Reactions: Ali

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
If you are afraid of noise- then rethink the too- In my opinion. LOL. Others can chime in here
I’m not afraid of the noise (occasional), as I learned that Galahs are usually vocal twice a day, that’s fine with me. Zazu and Walad also get noisy, but only at certain times, I even enjoy it cause it’s so sweet. I’m more afraid of a constant chatter between two ringnecks :D my father-in-law has two and they just keep talking to each other

Reactions: Ali