• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Future eclectus

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
POTENTIALLY
NEXT YEAR PLANNING ON GETTING AN ECLECTUS
I WAS VERY FOCUSED ON GETTING A MALE
LESS HORMONAL PROBLEMS ETC
FOR A FIRST TIME ECLECTUS BUT
JUST WOULD LOVE SOME ADVICE AND TIPS
I HAVE WRITTEN LOTS DOWN FOOD
WISE BUT EVERYTHING IS SOMETHING
SO LOTS OF ADVICE FROM
I HAVE ALREADY BROUGHT CAGE AND HAVE BEEN BUYING FORAGING TOYS
AND HAS ALREADY GOT NATUAL PERCHES​

Attachments

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Well I always like to be prepared

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Are you informed on diet and everything? Do you plan on feeding pellets?

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Are you informed on diet and everything? Do you plan on feeding pellets?

From research I've done limited pellets
Been told lots of fruits and vegetables
And sprouts /seed

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
From research I've done limited pellets
Been told lots of fruits and vegetables
And sprouts /seed
What pellets are you using, I would definitely stay away from Zupreem for ekkies personally. It sounds like youre doing great!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
You're still going to encounter hormonal issues with males, you just won't have to deal with eggs or nesting sites. I'd recommend researching hypersexualization in male eclectus. You can help deal with this through diet control and environmental changes but you will possibly need to do hormone therapy later in their life (they're sexually mature at about 3 years old and right around there is when a lot of problems can occur).

Diet is something I would work with your vet to figure out. I feed my boys Harrison's but you could try lafeber or roudybush. Zupreem has caused some issues for my boys but I know others that feed it without issue. It is possible to feed a home formulated diet but again I would work closely with your vet to make sure the balance of fruit/veggies/carbs is correct. You'll see eclectus diet debated heavily here and in other forums so truly my best advice is to talk to your vet.

They're really great birds, but just like other species have their quirks. A lot of it will be just figuring out your bird as time goes on. Try not to overthink it too much

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
You're still going to encounter hormonal issues with males, you just won't have to deal with eggs or nesting sites. I'd recommend researching hypersexualization in male eclectus. You can help deal with this through diet control and environmental changes but you will possibly need to do hormone therapy later in their life (they're sexually mature at about 3 years old and right around there is when a lot of problems can occur).

Diet is something I would work with your vet to figure out. I feed my boys Harrison's but you could try lafeber or roudybush. Zupreem has caused some issues for my boys but I know others that feed it without issue. It is possible to feed a home formulated diet but again I would work closely with your vet to make sure the balance of fruit/veggies/carbs is correct. You'll see eclectus diet debated heavily here and in other forums so truly my best advice is to talk to your vet.

They're really great birds, but just like other species have their quirks. A lot of it will be just figuring out your bird as time goes on. Try not to overthink it too much
Thanks heaps I’ve got bird tricks feeding system
And will be only given limited roudybush pellets

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
So now we are finally getting closer breeder I’m buying from has currently got momma bird sitting on eggs I met his last baby’s ecckies and they are well brought up
And raised in a family environment
I’ve decided some names
Milo
Kylo
Arlo
These are my top 3 name

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fructose is basically added sugar - I would avoid this pellet if there are sugar-free and dye-free alternatives.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Fructose is basically added sugar - I would avoid this pellet if there are sugar-free and dye-free alternatives.
So is roudybush fine ?

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I suggest that you read through this subforum for advice on pellets for Ekkies. Many say that pellets with vitamin supplements such as Roudybush are not good for Ecletus. (Yes, there is a picture of an Eclectus on the package). The vitamin A supplements are said to be particularly dangerous.

We feed our Eclectus 75% or more fresh veggies and fruit. We stock Tops, Harrisons and Roudybush for our birds, but the Eclectus mainly gets Tops, which is supposedly Eclectus-safe.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
I suggest that you read through this subforum for advice on pellets for Ekkies. Many say that pellets with vitamin supplements such as Roudybush are not good for Ecletus. (Yes, there is a picture of an Eclectus on the package). The vitamin A supplements are said to be particularly dangerous.

We feed our Eclectus 75% or more fresh veggies and fruit. We stock Tops, Harrisons and Roudybush for our birds, but the Eclectus mainly gets Tops, which is supposedly Eclectus-safe.
Thanks jorns only probably where I live we don’t have tops
I give all my birds first thing in the morning sprouts and a summer feeding system or what not
And bit of pellets with seed

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca

I can not see any post about pellets on ecckie forms

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I can not see any post about pellets on ecckie forms
Google is your friend. Try pasting this into Google:
eclectus pellets site:forums.avianavenue.com
Or just click here: eclectus pellets site:forums.avianavenue.com - Google Search

You can also do a subforum search by clicking on the search tool (magnifying glass) in the upper right of the page, enter "pellets" as the text, select "This forum" from the dropdown, and check the "titles only" box. Then you'll only get threads in the Eclectus forum with "pellets" in the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: tka

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Also, I really like this site: https://eleganteclectus.com/functional-diet
She has a youtube channel that my wife and I like here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOSbfQdmzyKYIKnfICAXSg

She seems very knowledgeable. I suggest reading the "About" page on her website so you can make a determination.

It is hard to know where people get their information/knowledge/research from. Who is an expert, who is just regurgitating information from other "experts" and who doesn't know what their talking about at all?

Last edited: