• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Funny experience with a ringneck today

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Well, today, I went to the place where I volunteer and a stray blue mutation ringneckhad come in (we named him smurf), and I've never ever seen one of these before so I was watching him, but didn't wana freak him out too much because he'd only been in a day, and didn't want him to be freaked out by the short girl staring...so anyways, his cage is now next to Sulphurs' (a sulphur crested cockatoo, who I love love love), so I was just saying good morning to Sulohur and noticed Smurf staring at me, so I went over to his cage and said hello..and he moved closer...so I was abit confused because usually new ones aren't confident enough to come right up to me, I put my hand flat against the bars and he opened his mouth slowly so I was pretty confused, I knew it wasn't aggression but I couldn't figure it out, so anyway I carried on with my cleaning and noticed everytime I walked past his cage he's follow me, and mimic my head movements, and doing a crazy laugh when I turned around (which didn't help!). So I tried to avoid him because I was worried he might be trying to prove his dominance...as I was leaving to go home...I don't know why but I stopped and I stuck my hand through (foolish I know) and stroked him, one his head and beak - he loved it, started talking away to me.

:rofl: I feel so bad, spending the whole day convinced he didn't like me when really he just wanted a good head rub!
He's absolutely lovely!...but I do wish he'd stop the creepy laugh :rolleyes:
Still I thought I'd share it..I'll try get some photos of him he's so funny, can't understand a word of what he says to me but he was obviously very loved :)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Aww those Ringnecks will steal your heart!!! What a sweety!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
awww sweet!!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he sounds like a real sweety!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Can't wait for your next encounter with that cutie. :D

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
aww what a nice experience. I do hope you post pictures :) My ringneck, Ponyo, will often open her mouth slowly to me and vocalize because she wants me to give her some one-on-one face time and beak rubs. I can even sneak a slight head rub too sometimes ;)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Awe, what a sweetie! AND to be able to give him head/beak strokes, you were obviously very worthy enough to be able to do that. ;)

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
:D Thanks everyone, I'll definately keep you all updated on him, I can see there being many stories to tell!

aww what a nice experience. I do hope you post pictures :) My ringneck, Ponyo, will often open her mouth slowly to me and vocalize because she wants me to give her some one-on-one face time and beak rubs. I can even sneak a slight head rub too sometimes ;)
Oh definately I'll take some next time I go in! Ponyo looks gorgeous!! I have to say I'm starting to really love ringnecks!

Awe, what a sweetie! AND to be able to give him head/beak strokes, you were obviously very worthy enough to be able to do that. ;)
hehe well, he did see me cuddling a sulphur crested cockatoo, so he either realised that I was very brave or as crazy as a coconut! :rofl:
It did feel abit like a privilage, usually I get bitten whenever I try and stroke things for the first time, but he literally showed no change in attitude, he's just a big blue softie :D

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
WOW, now THAT is super special! :heart:
I assume you know that most ringneck species usually don't like being touched at all?

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
:D Thanks everyone, I'll definately keep you all updated on him, I can see there being many stories to tell!

Oh definately I'll take some next time I go in! Ponyo looks gorgeous!! I have to say I'm starting to really love ringnecks!

hehe well, he did see me cuddling a sulphur crested cockatoo, so he either realised that I was very brave or as crazy as a coconut! :rofl:
It did feel abit like a privilage, usually I get bitten whenever I try and stroke things for the first time, but he literally showed no change in attitude, he's just a big blue softie :D
Thank you! I can't speak for all ringnecks, but Ponyo is such a little clown and is affectionate in her own way. Ponyo seems to be a big bird in a small and graceful package...I could see her developing a napoleon complex though lol

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Seriously? I didn't know that atall! Well in that case: :eek: just makes me like him even more!
Yep! That says a lot he was begging to be pet because not many ringnecks like it, let alone beg for it lol This definitely holds true for Ponyo.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
that is a very cute story :)

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Seriously? I didn't know that atall! Well in that case: :eek: just makes me like him even more!
Let's just say if that would have happened to me, I'd consider myself to be "The Chosen One" and just would HAVE to take him home! :D

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Let's just say if that would have happened to me, I'd consider myself to be "The Chosen One" and just would HAVE to take him home! :D
:rofl: "The chosen one", everyone there already tells me that I'm a crazy bird women because I have developed a bond with the cocokatoo!!

Definately will see if " the chosen one " catches on!

H ewas a bit nippier when I went to go see him the otherday but still got ina few head scratches!

Here's a photo of him: http://forums.avianavenue.com/members/helenvanessadavies-albums-bird-babies-3-picture2503-smurf.html

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
oh you got a picture! He's so handsome! I MAY be a bit biased though. :lol: As someone else already pointed out, perhaps he senses his bond with you and now feels safe to test it?

Status
Not open for further replies.