• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freshly Hatched baby dove...

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:)How are those babies doing??

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Trevor is doing just great. Olive, however, had a surgery to correct her leg (which was growing slightly twisted). I took them to a great avian vet, who found that she had poor bone health. He gave me some much-needed advice on nutrition and environmental needs of baby doves. I was under the impression that the formula had all they needed, and I only worried about sunlight for mockingbirds (who are prone to metabolic bone disease). They are now both taking omega-3 and calcium supplements, are eating a high-quality mixture of varied seeds/grains, pellets, and veggies. They are also getting more direct sunlight. I am very angry at myself because her problem could have been prevented. I am frustrated at the lack of resources and help I have (there is NO training or funding for wildlife rescue around here), and the contradictory information I have found online. It's not as though I didn't try, and it's not as though there was anywhere else to take them (it was basically either I try, or they would have gotten no chance). I care deeply for these birds and am doing my best - it was good enough for the other babies, but not good enough for Olive. I am very relieved to have found a good place to take wild birds for care in the future, and a reliable resource for knowledge of how I can do better for them.

Olive is going back this week for a brief checkup, and her leg wrap comes off in 3 weeks. I have to check on her often to make sure she sits properly, so I moved them to my studio so I can keep watch. Reminds me of the first week they hatched... constant worry and vigilence! They are both eating well, are alert and spunky, and I'm looking into what types of toys or enrichment they need - particularly Olive, because she won't be very mobile for the next few weeks (Trevor is all over the place).

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Definitely a learning experience! I was actually thinking about these babies the other day. It's a good thing they have you looking out for them. I wish Olive the best, I hope she heals quickly :hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Olive had a 1-week follow-up today, and Dr. Echols said she was doing very well. She gained 10 grams, foot and bandages look good, and she is as alert as ever. Little brother Trevor pecks at anyone "messing with" her. :D They are getting big, and Trevor is very active and will need to get some extra exercise on the patio a few hours per day, but will stay with his big sis most of the time. Olive can have her bandages removed in 3-4 weeks. They are getting 4-6 hours of sun per day, an excellent diet, the omega-3 and calcium supplements, and I have some foraging activities in the works for them. I'm starting to feel like a better dove mom now.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the update, hope Olive continues to improve. Love that pic.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Olive is still doing well, though she has no tailfeathers because she is obviously sitting and scraping across the towel to move around. Trevor has quite a tail! He is very ancy to move around. They spent the day in a 3x6x8 outdoor enclosure with 2 adult injured doves, and seemed to really like being outside. I have a feeling that Trevor will be ready to leave soon, as he is flying well, and made an effort to get out when another released dove came to visit, then flew away. Olive started flapping around too, and I think being outdoors with the others may be too much excitement - she still has a few weeks to go in her birdie cast. I hope the nice weather holds out at least a little while longer!

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Are you going to wait for Olive and release them together? My aunt and I released a pair of seagulls... They were not originally siblings (I think) but came in as babies about the same age. It was cute, one was a lot more hesitant than the other to get going. But in the end they never left each others side.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I'd like to, but Trevor will be ready soon, and Olive has to stay longer. I let them decide for themselves, leaving the patio door open - and many come back for the first few evenings to spend the night. I keep food and water available for several days after I stop seeing them, just in case. The last set of dove siblings (Jasper and Emma - rescued from some IDIOT who stole them out of a nest at 5 and 7 days old) left together - and I have had baby sparrows and mockingbirds leave together with "adopted" siblings about the same age. I also have 2 injured adult doves that I will probably have for a while longer, so Olive won't be alone.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I'd like to, but Trevor will be ready soon, and Olive has to stay longer. I let them decide for themselves, leaving the patio door open - and many come back for the first few evenings to spend the night. I keep food and water available for several days after I stop seeing them, just in case. The last set of dove siblings (Jasper and Emma - rescued from some IDIOT who stole them out of a nest at 5 and 7 days old) left together - and I have had baby sparrows and mockingbirds leave together with "adopted" siblings about the same age. I also have 2 injured adult doves that I will probably have for a while longer, so Olive won't be alone.
Ah, that's good to hear she won't be alone! You have such a nice set up for these babies. They are lucky to land in your lap.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I need to get more photos soon, because Trevor is all grown up! So is Olive, minus the tailfeathers of course. Her next vet appointment is this week. The last few days she has gotten very restless, and I am frustrated trying to make her comfortable. She sits with her good leg back, and flaps as she tries to get situated. I put her in a plastic bin inside the cage to keep her from catching her wings on the bars. She is eating just fine, but I hold the water dish for her several times a day to make sure she is getting enough to drink. The doves have been outside in the enclosure almost every day, but the weather is about to put an end to that. We're debating on how/when to release Trevor. It's so hard! He is still my baby :(

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
We tried to have Trevor sleep outside on the patio to get acclimated to the outdoor temps before releasing him (there is a heat lamp and bedding), but he kept fluttering at the window because we had the light on. I scooped him up to watch Bones with us, and he puffed up, preened, and closed his little eyes. I didn't have the heart to take him back out, so he's back with Olive tonight. :rolleyes: Someone on FB posted about cleaning shotguns, and I found online that there is another hunting season for these poor guys in December. *angry anti-hunting rant left out of this post* That, along with the cold, has me thinking that it may be best to keep brother and sister together and release in the Spring... oh, WHY did they have to hatch so late?