• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freshly Hatched baby dove...

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
teeny.jpg
Someone just brought me a baby dove who hatched around noon today - also a second egg. I have both on a heating pad and am doing my best to feed the baby. I check on her hourly. I have successfully rescued doves like this at about a week old, and know the basics, but she is by FAR the youngest I've ever seen. I've been researching to double-check myself. I know the first few days are critical, so I am being very vigilant. Any experience anyone can share would be helpful! She got very little down sipping out of a teaspoon, so I made an artificial crop with vetwrap over a thimble, and am about to give her a second feeding.

btw, I am a wildlife rehabber - there is nowhere else to take her, as I'm the "bird" person

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Oh wow look at those huuuge eyes! Best of luck on rehabbing this little baby. I couldn't imagine feeding something so tiny!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwww

henpecked

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Richard
Have you tried Cream of Wheat cereal heated to 105F and feed with a syringe ?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Aw, so small and helpless! Are you weighing her just to make sure she is putting on weight okay? You know what you are doing anyway, all the best with her. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I am feeding her Kaytee exact - cream of wheat doesn't have near enough protein. I found a DIY gadget idea online that is working well for feeding. She made her first little peeps this morning!

Barefoot Parrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Booker
Wasn't that recalled due to a lethal dose of vitamin D? I read a thread on the BirdChannel Forums from someone who lost like three babies due to that. Maybe they didn't recall the one for doves? Hm.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Wasn't that recalled due to a lethal dose of vitamin D? I read a thread on the BirdChannel Forums from someone who lost like three babies due to that. Maybe they didn't recall the one for doves? Hm.

Yes, Kaytee exact was recalled a while back and many many babies died or had problems because of it. Even people on AA had troubles. I'm going to assume there is no other feeding formula available? I boycotted kaytee after their terrible recall timing and seemingly uncaring nature about it all.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
The formula I have was not part of the recall. I personally don't trust ANY big company to be ethical about recalls, so I feel no safer with a company that hasn't been forced to do a recall *yet*. With human food, I am less worried because the companies are afraid enough of lawsuits to ensure their products are safe. But with animals, there are fewer legal avenues to persue and not nearly the dollar signs, thus they have little incentive to invest money in quality assurance and safety.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
2.jpg
I got to watch the second baby hatch yesterday! He is already eating just as well as his big sister.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just saw this, your doing great! They grow overnight dont they? If my Chloe was there, she would foster for you...she does all the time for me when I have tiny ones like that. Doves are great pets, and since your Mom now, they will quickly imprint on you, are you gonna keep them?

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
The plan is to release them when they are old enough. I have another clutch that I got at around 5 and 7 days old, who just moved to the screened patio and are pecking seeds, and they should be ready to go soon. They are such sweet babies... releasing them makes rehab hard sometimes, but also in a way it's the best part. I handle my birds as little as possible to keep them as wild as I can, but the doves still follow me and beg for food, even when they are weaned. I certainly wish I had a foster dove mommy! I had 2 juvenile robins this summer who, when they got older, fed my baby sparrows and mockingbirds (and each other, LOL) - and it really helped to have them as a nanny for the babies.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
OHMYGOODNESS SO CUTE!

I can't believe how SMALL they are! Wow. What kind of doves are they? Sending you and the beebs wonderful, happy, nice thoughts and vibes and hopes for the future :)

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I'm not sure what kind of doves they are, but they certainly can EAT! They both take at at least 1cc or more at each feeding (about every 3 hours now). Names are Olive (big sister) and Trevor (little brother) - of course I have no idea who is a boy or girl, haha.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Hehe! My Dovey used to eat like a fiend too. I was always amazed by the amount of pellets he could tuck away, not to mention seed. Big tummy for such a little bird!

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Here are Olive and Trevor, about 1 month old:
x 004.jpg
So sweet! Fully feathered and pecking seeds. I hope the weather stays nice by the time they can go out to the patio.