• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I didn't find this bird, but there is a shelter close to me that has found a blue throated macaw!! Here is a link that was on Craigslist that they uploaded.

IF YOU HAVE LOST YOUR BLUE THROATED MACAW IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA OR THE SURROUNDING AREAS, PLASE COME HERE! THIS MIGHT BE YOUR MACAW!!

BIRD FOUND IN MENIFEE***UNALTERED MALE , BLUE MACAW

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Hope he/she makes it home soon :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Blue and Golds have a black throat patch, that's what you are seeing. :) As he is at a shelter that probably does not see many birds I assume they guessed the weight. I've never seen a 5 pound macaw let alone a 7 pound one. My BG's are about 950 - 1100 grams which equates to about 2.5 pounds. My heavy hy is 1500 which is only 3.3 pounds. :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
B&G and yet, he is unaltered? I feel like I have seen this photo before.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Do you this this is a scam ?
No, just that most shelters see dogs and cats and have no clue when it comes to the care of a bird.

I wanted to laugh about it being unaltered, how would they even know for sure, yet they state that as a fact. Granted, chances are that it would be 'unaltered', but still, to even list that is crazy, unless they are going to force the owner into 'altering' as that is usually their practice with any animal that walks through their doors.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Since it's a shelter, would it be possible that they used a stock photo from online? The shelter itself does exist, I went online to check.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The site in the link works well. Seems valid to me.

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm guessing the reason they have "unaltered" on there is because it's a form where the boxes must be checked/filled in, you can't leave stuff blank. I run into that all the time when I'm filling out paperwork online. I have to put something. They just copied what they had into the CL ad. I'd also totally buy that the photo is just an image they got from somewhere as I am having a hard time believing a municipal shelter just happens to have such a cage hanging around on the off change they get a parrot? The municipal shelters around here generally just put the parrots in the those metal hospital kennels things with some jimmy rigged branches as perches.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hard to tell if a male bird is unaltered. I bet it's a scan.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Someone should post this on the local Craig's list of that area so it gets the attention it needs. I am sure she is very missed and very loved.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
That's what I thought too - much too nice a cage.
It depends on the area. In southern california, a lot of people have parrots. I don't know 'bout that cage, but parrots are rather common. Not as common as cats or dogs per say; they're still not that rare though. (Parrots well taken care of are though)

I searched google for the image in Google Chrome by right clicking the image and selecting "search this image on google" and I haven't found any results for it... I think it's legitimate.

I doubt it's a scam and I think it's possible. A lot of people in Southern California have birds. If you go to some of the beaches here you'll have people present their birds and you can pay to interact with them. Maybe someone over there lost their bird and it flew all the way to Menifee?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah