• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Toy Thread for Small Beaks

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
This is a great thread! My budgies aren't big chewers so they need easy foraging toys. I haven't had any ideas.
I've spent hours of my life looking at foraging toys for little beaks. I can share with you what I know.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I've spent hours of my life looking at foraging toys for little beaks. I can share with you what I know.
I would love that!

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
This is my foraging fail...! Somewhere I read something about using an old paper egg crate and using a zip tie to hang it inside the cage, then fill it with treats, and this is how I envisioned it -- without considering a little thing called GRAVITY! I used some mashed sweet potatoes (which Lucy loves) to try and stick her favorite seed treats in, but, nope, didn't work (I should have taken a picture of the FLOOR as I was doing this and all the mixture that just kept falling out!). I considered attaching it to the floor of the cage, but Lucy is not interested on anything on the GROUND -- gross! ;) Plus, she's just a wee thing, and I have no idea how I thought she would even get to this! Anyway....
IMG_5874.jpeg :oops:

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
This is my foraging fail...! Somewhere I read something about using an old paper egg crate and using a zip tie to hang it inside the cage, then fill it with treats, and this is how I envisioned it -- without considering a little thing called GRAVITY! I used some mashed sweet potatoes (which Lucy loves) to try and stick her favorite seed treats in, but, nope, didn't work (I should have taken a picture of the FLOOR as I was doing this and all the mixture that just kept falling out!). I considered attaching it to the floor of the cage, but Lucy is not interested on anything on the GROUND -- gross! ;) Plus, she's just a wee thing, and I have no idea how I thought she would even get to this! Anyway....
:oops:
Oh no! I make something like that but for my desk.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
View attachment 404939 :oops:
:rofl: That is 100% something I would do once made cheese on toast in toaster blew electrics in whole house haha :lol: I think it’s a good idea tho I would have used ties at either end of roof of cage might try this one

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Few other things i have done..

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Welcome to Foraging Friday!

This week's idea comes from the YouTube channel, Happy-chan the bird. She posts two videos on the foraging toy. The first video shows the official toy called Foraging Spin, then second is one she made from recycled bottle caps.

The video below shows a version I made, inspired by Happy-chan's videos. In my version I used a travel toiletry container and stainless steel hardware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cockatiel/comments/tz4om7

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Wow those are really cool and creative!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

Today's toy is the JW: Tip and Treat. I've found that my cockatiels, budgies, and conure loved this toy. I don't have a video of my birds playing with this toy but her is one from Youtuber Lory Adventures.

If you're the creative type, you can make this toy. Brave Knight has a tutorial.

Last edited:

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

Today's today is a foraging mug. I have two pictures. One is my modified version because Sprite and Wisp had difficulty figuring out how the foraging mug works.
@Mizzely sells the foraging mug toy in her shop.
Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 3.54.16 PM.png Foraging Mug.JPG

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday! This foraging toy is a small acrylic maze from Bells Plastic. It is about 4" in diameter, so more suited for smaller beaks than some of the larger foraging wheels on the market. Sulley loved this toy, but I could never get video of her using it because she used it to get my attention and once she had my attention she stopped playing with it. It's a fun little toy I wished my other birds liked. I'll keep trying.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday y'all! This week's toy is the the small Food Pyramid Foraging toy by The Parrot Shop. All of my birds have loved finding seeds and pellets with this toy.

Also, there are larger foraging triangles I use too. For these triangles, I use a stainless steel skewer to connect them, much like the video I am linking below. What I like about this triangle tower is that even though it is larger, you can make foraging easier or more difficult depending on how far you space the triangles on the skewer.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Ooo I really like those. I'll have to make that for my not-so-small beak Lovie.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Guys! So sorry I forgot about Foraging Friday this past Friday! I was deep cleaning the house and got in a good groove and forgot to post. Anyways, this week's foraging toy is the Foraging Box Feeder by Creative Foraging.

It can be modified in a few ways to make it more challenging:
1) Easy foraging: fill with treat/food of your choice.
2) Easy-ish foraging: fill with treat/food of your choice. Place cardboard box on the outside.
3) Medium foraging: fill with treat/food of your choice. Place cardboard cover on the outside WITH foraging substrate substrate inside.
4) Hard foraging: fill with treat/food of your choice. Place cardboard cover on the outside WITH foraging substrate substrate inside AND cover cardboard holes.

I'll be out of state next Friday, so it's unlikely there will be a Foraging Friday post this Friday.

Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 5.53.29 AM.png

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Can you please link the Food Pyramid toy from last week? I'm unable to find where I can purchase. The Parrot Shop shows its no longer available. Or the Triangle Tower, only have found Australian and New Zealand websites that offer.

Last edited: