• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Toy Thread for Small Beaks

Winn

Jogging around the block
I'd like to start this to show the different foraging toys ideas I've had for small beaks. I've often been frustrated by the lack of puzzle foraging toys for smaller parrots, so I've often made my own or adapted ones for bigger beaks.

This is the Caitec Cage Mounted Buffet Ball. It's meant for larger birds, but I've adapted it but put straws in the holes and layering the food on top of or around the straws.
I make braided balls for my budgies. (They aren't big on shredding.) I use corn husks (tamale wraps) or paper.
I sometimes put a Nutriberry or a "millet ball" inside so they find a treat. I add them to the foraging box or to the veggie skewers.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I make braided balls for my budgies. (They aren't big on shredding.) I use corn husks (tamale wraps) or paper.
I sometimes put a Nutriberry or a "millet ball" inside so they find a treat. I add them to the foraging box or to the veggie skewers.
My cockatiel Felix loved these. They were his favorite toy and I made them all the time for him. He foraged for sunflower seeds and millet.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This week's toy is actually a cat toy, sized 6.5cm (2.36 inches) wide and 9cm (3.34 inches) tall that I purchased on Amazon. It's a wobble/tumbler toy that must be tipped to spill food. My budgie Rayleigh loved it and so did Sulley the GCC. My cockatiel Bowie was absolutely terrified of it. It's a good toy if your feathered friend likes to spend time on tables, desks or other flat surfaces. I still need to try it with Sprite and Wisp and Erwin. I'm so proud of Erwin; in the past few months since we've adopted him, he is learning how to play.

The Youtube channel, Happy-Chan the Bird provides a nice video on how to use this toy.

Happy Foraging!

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.18.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.18.17 PM.png

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Tamale papers are a great idea, because they are human-grade food.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Hi Everyone! Foraging Friday wasn't forgotten about, it was just a crazy busy weekend again.

Last week's toy posted today are the Puzzler Foraging Block series by Lil Monsters Bird Toys. These toys can be filled with Nutriberries, along with other toys and treats. I've found the extra small works well for my cockatiel and budgies, but the Puzzler comes in five sizes: extra small, small, medium, large, and a foot toy. Sizes range from 1½" x 1½" x 4” (3.81 x 3.81 x 10.16 cm) to 3½” x 3½” x 6” (8.89 x 8.89 x x 15.24 cm). The Puzzlers are great holders for birds who cannot pick up Nutriberries with their feet. For parrots that can pick up Nutriberries with their feet, though I can't say from personal experience, I would think the Puzzler would work well as an added challenge for them to detach the Nutriberry from the toy.

Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 1.24.14 AM.png

Happy Foraging!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
This week I'd like to focus on the variety of Bell Plastic Bird Toy foragers. My birds have tried the "Parakeet Feeder," but they make other forager options for small beaks too. I'll be honest; of all of my birds, only Sprite and Wisp have enjoyed the Parakeet feeder. The hole is too big for seed mixes, but fits sunflower seeds and small pieces of millet. It may work well for larger pieces of pellets. The plastic feels quality, as does the stainless steel chain. I'm not sure which metals the bell is made of, which has always been a concern of mine. My biggest issue is that it's really hard to wash, but I found the Parakeet Feeder is a nice foraging option for its price.

Happy Foraging!

Parakeet Feeder.png
Parakeet Feeder

Peanut Jail.png
Peanut Jail

Sunflower Seed Holder.png
Sunflower Seed Holder

Double Treat Feeder.png
Double Treat Feeder

Triangle Feeder.png
Triangle Feeder

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday Saturday, everyone!

This week's foraging toy is the Small Treasure Chest from Bonka Bird Toys. I've found this toy to have a challenging mode, by placing the wooden balls, blocks, and rods in the chest, it makes foraging more difficult and trains your parrot how to manipulate the beak to move around parts. The simpler mode removes the wooden pieces, yet still makes effort of foraging because your parrot needs to use the different sized holes to remove food. I've also used this toy for millet.

The Small Treasure Chest is 25.4 cm tall by 7.62 cm wide (10" tall by 3"wide). Bonka Bird Toys said this toy is made out of a bullet proof plastic and comes in green, yellow, and blue.

Attached is a video from the Youtube channel, Little Bird Channel, is a video of a cockatiel using the Small Treasure Chest with pellets. I've also attached a photo of a lovebird playing with the Small Treasure Chest with the wooden blocks, a photo a custom shared on Bonka Bird Toy's official website.

Happy Foraging!

Attachments

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy Foraging Friday!

Today's today is a foraging mug. I have two pictures. One is my modified version because Sprite and Wisp had difficulty figuring out how the foraging mug works.
@Mizzely sells the foraging mug toy in her shop.
View attachment 406351 View attachment 406352
I have got a couple these far to easy for Mojo she can empty it in seconds, so i have placed it where she will have to climb across the top of her cage and open it whilst upside down.
It took KiKi a couple of days to work it out now it takes a couple of minutes for her to get in however it has worked really well in encouraging her to move around her cage more so really pleased with that.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I have got a couple these far to easy for Mojo she can empty it in seconds, so i have placed it where she will have to climb across the top of her cage and open it whilst upside down.
It took KiKi a couple of days to work it out now it takes a couple of minutes for her to get in however it has worked really well in encouraging her to move around her cage more so really pleased with that.
That's great, Wardy. I like your idea of taking a well loved toy and moving it in a place in the cage that they don't use enough. Gives them some exercise for those seed treats!

Kristi's Foraging Channel on YouTube has made a great video on how to teach a bird to forage using this toy.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This week's toy is the Hanging Treat Basket from Super Bird Creations. It's a nice, small sized foraging basket that can be filled with foraging substrate. Its dimensions are 7.62 x 17.78 x 7.62 cm (3 x 7 x 3 inches). I like to fill mine with all natural paper pelleted kitty litter and treats, and then let my birds swift through to find the treats.

Bowie used to like to pull individual pieces of crinkle paper out of the basket, watch it drop to the floor, and then scream in delight. He was such a goof. :heart:

Lil Monsters Bird Toys sells this toy; if any other vendors sell it, please let us know.

Happy Foraging!

Attachments

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This week's toy is the Small Bird Foot Toy Bucket by Hoot N Holler Bird Toys. It is a great way to have a foraging tray mounted to the side of the cage and not on the floor of the cage.
:popmnst:

Its dimensions are 23.3 L x 14 W x 14 cm (9.19" L x 5.56" W x 5.5" H). The plastic is BPA free and mounts are stainless steel. Also - you can add various activities walls onto the bucket. I like that this has two compartments; when using the perch, one side can be used as a foraging tray and the other side for potty. It is a little on the large side for the teeniest of beaks. Sulley the GCC was our only bird that liked this toy, maybe your feathered friend would too? These images were taken from the Hoot N Holler website.

Happy Foraging!

Attachments

Hobgoblin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cate
Happy Foraging Friday! This week's foraging toy is the Super Bird Creations toy called Bottoms Up. Made in the USA bird toys also makes a toy similar called Foraging Friends. It is meant for larger birds, but I put foraging substrate on the bottom so the treats are not too deep for my cockatiel and budgies. When I had Sulley the GCC, this was her favorite foraging toy. Plus the gear wheels at the bottom of each cup are designed to hold larger seeds like sunflower. Happy foraging! View attachment 408337
My conure is obsessed with this toy. We just bought the other version for our cockatiel.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Hi Foraging Friends,

I'm going to take a break from Foraging Friday. I thought this was going to be my last university semester, my "fun" one with little responsibilities. Then I talked with my advisor on Friday and what happened? I'm now in a graduate level class and plan on taking one more semester. Things changed so fast!

It was a busy summer and I wasn't on here much. It's going to be a busy fall semester, so I can't promise I can post every Friday but I will try sporadically.

I miss my friends here and hope to re-connect more after the semester ends!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This week's toy is the Hanging Treat Basket from Super Bird Creations. It's a nice, small sized foraging basket that can be filled with foraging substrate. Its dimensions are 7.62 x 17.78 x 7.62 cm (3 x 7 x 3 inches). I like to fill mine with all natural paper pelleted kitty litter and treats, and then let my birds swift through to find the treats.

Bowie used to like to pull individual pieces of crinkle paper out of the basket, watch it drop to the floor, and then scream in delight. He was such a goof. :heart:

Lil Monsters Bird Toys sells this toy; if any other vendors sell it, please let us know.

Happy Foraging!
grrrrr.....autocorrect. This should say "shift" and not "swift". But hopefully you caught what I meant to say.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Happy Foraging Friday!

This toy for small to medium sized birds I've found through both Bonka Bird Toys and Sweet Feet and Beak bird toys. Both companies call it the Foraging Feeder. It measures approximately 7.62 cm (3") tall by 7.62 cm (3") wide and has a 7.62 cm (3") diameter. They use bullet proof plastic which they call, "bird proof". The Foraging Feeder comes in green, blue, and pink.

I first used this toy with Bowie. I lifted up the lid to show him how it works while his head was still in the foraging tray. As a result his head was put between the lid and the feeder and he was very angry about this. So now whenever I use it I keep the lid somewhat suspended by a pipe cleaner (shown in one of the photos below) just to keep it safe for my little one's heads. I also used to put a foraging substrate at the bottom to prop up the treats for my smaller birds, but I've found with the budgie boys I haven't needed to do this. A nice feature is the three compartments for three different kinds of treats, something Sulley always enjoyed.

I tried to get video evidence of Sprite and Wisp (the budgie boys) using the Foraging Feeder, but they are so stealthy! But I can hear them using it when I am in a room close by. So I've added a challenge for them, by putting 2mm vine balls inside.

Foraging Feeder 1.JPG Foraging Feeder 2.JPG Foraging Feeder 3.JPG Foraging Feeder 4.JPG

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
I have to make bella toys all the time cause she rips them to shreds quickly ( and gets bored of them over time) so i make new ones often