• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot Favoring--what's happening with Peeps!?!

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

I think its been a good few days of rest. I would let him out. When he holds it up he is actually resting it. Your right too..if the foot was broken it would be very obvious.

If you think of my birds...if they sprain a leg or toe I observe to make sure it is not getting worse. Peeps is certainly getting better. If mine were getting worse Id confine them but I would rather not intervene and let them heal naturally. They have the aviary to fly in, even with a sprain. They almost have to learn to be more careful. In the wild a canary would have to heal and rest up abit.

I see what you mean about your feeder. I use bowls with thick rims on platforms or the floor of the cage or aviary. I also see you have a wire grill in the bottom of his cage. I never use these. .I know it keeps things clean but he cant put his little feet down flat. Giving him the option for a flat surface in his cage when he isnt flying around will rest his feet. It will also help his leg thats on the mend.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I also see you have a wire grill in the bottom of his cage. I never use these. .I know it keeps things clean but he cant put his little feet down flat. Giving him the option for a flat surface in his cage when he isnt flying around will rest his feet. It will also help his leg thats on the mend.
Hi @Clairecanary15 ! I hope you're feeling a little more rested :) thanks for replying again!

I'm going to go look for a nice flat board to put in his cage, that way i can keep the grate for the areas where he poops the most, and put the flat surface where the poop is minimal. For the time being I put a little picture book (which I rarely look at nowadays) underneath his favorite toy so he will have one flat surface in the cage.
20180614_092304.jpg 20180614_092436.jpg
He's already putting it to use lol

Im really considering buying him a larger cage so I can have different surfaces in it, as well as more space general.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet

Thats ok Im here between bird feeding, kids etc

Bless him I bet he is having a sneaky read..hope it is bird appropriate lol no cats in it i hope. Good idea until uve worked out what you want to do.

I always want my birds in the biggest cage possible. If you are out peeps would be able to stretch his wings abit more in a larger cage. Flight cages are good..but cost a bit but are worth it. I have 2 flight cages fixed 20180614_175850.jpg one on top of the other. I have a pair in it and a chick. Im not happy lol because it isnt wide enough. I did put the divider back in between the 2 cages when the chick was just finding its wings and feet..pic attached;)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Good morning @Clairecanary15 !!!
Those cages look very spacious. Yes, I'm currenly looking for a wide flight cage, preferably with a solid bottom that will house the removable uh... poop catcher/drawer??? I'm currently living in an appartment so (sadly) I don't have room for the tall bigger cages even if I wanted to get them. That's my goal to have some day though--or a whole room with wooden floor!

I love how you take such good care of your birds :) thank you for following me and Peeps through his ordeal. I don't know any canary owners in my are, so I'm glad to be able to chat with you and everyone here!

Update #4:
So Peeps appears to be doing well. He sings and yells like his usual self. He still has moments where I see him resting his foot, but I think putting some flat surfaces in the cage has helped. I also replaced his food boxes with ramekin bowls, which appear the be kinder to his feet as opposed to the old ones.
20180614_183524.jpg
20180614_163702(0).jpg
I've been hearing less banging of little feet against the grate since I added the books, so I'm quite happy.
I was canvasing for new cages online and in 2 of our local pet store yesterday. I'm off to the next city to check out what they have. I do want him go have more space expecially for when ai go back to school this fall, and I won't be around as much to let him out. :(

Here's a video I took of him just now. Kinda broke my heart when he started standing on one foot again, but I have to remind myself that he is steadily recovering and is simply resting. I have noticed that his grip strenght is not as strong (not in this video). He used to be able to hang on to the cage walls, but he just slides now :(
He's back in his cage now, singing/screaming. I will let him out again later today for some excercise. I'm taking your advice to gradually increasing his flying time.

Last edited:

Serin

Grates are very bad news. I have seen birds fall through, catch their leg and dislocate their hips in them and once even had a society finch get caught halfway inside it with her head and wings twisted through as if she squeezed under and then couldnt get back out. She lived, but barely. I ALWAYS cut out grates and throw them in the garbage. They are potentially deadly, and the birds much prefer a flat surface to walk on. My canaries spend tons of time on the cage floor hopping around and with the grate were never down there.

I also provide a flat perch in ever cage, either a really wide grapevine branch or a flat wooden ledge (as sold for rodents) both of which mount on the cage with a wing nut and a bolt. They love these perches and it's good to let them rest their feet.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
@sheeluhwhet

Arr peeps is very cheeky pecking the camera..made me smile. He looks well and alert..very alert. The strength will come back to his grip, just takes time.

I dont know anyone with canaries either. .my family and good friend are fascinated ..a real eye opener to birds.

A modest flight cage is fine for peeps...like @Serin said wider perches/platforms are ideal. Different width perches help to work the different muscles. I also agree with serin about the grates..I know they help keep things clean but I wouldn't or couldn't stand on one, plus the canaries do catch their toes etc. I do what serin said, either remove them or purchase without them. My flight cages both came with a slider solid floor. I cover it with newspaper. In the avairy I use sawdust.. I cannot use sawdust in the house due to it being blown about by their wings.

Im glad peeps is getting on ok with the ramekins ..brilliant idea and hygienic..perfect size. I use large tapas dishes but have more than one canary...I currently have got 24. 11 are chicks. Will hopefully be rehoming a few to good homes soon.

Like you I wish I had more space..we could both live in a mansion and it would still need an extension on the aviary lol..just have to live within our means. Peeps is a credit to you. Beautiful and well kept.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15 @Serin !

I think I found the perfect home for Peeps. I set it up as soon as i got home, and apparently Peeps couldn't wait either! I have to share these because my hear just burst warching him explore his new home--way before I could even figure out where to put his stuff lol (he is on my hand pecking at my phone screen as I'm typing this)

This is the cage it got:
20180615_151456.jpg
I tried finding it on Amazon but to no avail, so I went ahead and got it at our local Petsmart. It came with 3 different-diameter perches so I'm quite excited. It's a bit bear at the moment, but I will be getting sone flat perches as per Serin's advice. But while im at it, do you guys have any other suggestions?

I will not be using the grate now that I know better :)

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I put butcher paper on top of the grate. It has no print & I have a few sheets on the bottom & remove as soiled. My birds don;t do on the bottom much but it keep the grate clean & would protect his lil feet.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I put butcher paper on top of the grate. It has no print & I have a few sheets on the bottom & remove as soiled. My birds don;t do on the bottom much but it keep the grate clean & would protect his lil feet.
Hi @camelotshadow !
Is butcher paper expensive? I'm currently using sketchbook paper which I precut in stacks once in a while. I have a surplus of sketch paper (I'm an artist), but I'm always open for better alternatives. After reading claire and serin's advice, I've decided not to use the grate, though your method is also pretty good. Thank you :)