• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Allergy Symptoms

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Thank you for this. Even with this special diet Ruby still taps some? Poor girl...we understand.

I have looked up Lil Bird Sprouts from an earlier reply from you and just now at the UnPellet Mix. I wish they all came from the same place! If I read correctly...you do not do any cooked beans, only sprouted beans?

Penelope isn't flipping/tapping so much (but she still does a bit), the big concern now is her leg where she chewed it. She really has a difficult time putting her weight on it and sits holding her foot in tight. And I really want to avoid a vet. Each trip causes more issues.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Close to giving up. It has been over 3 months and Penelope looks bad, not talking, not playing and not eating as well.

I have changed diets and changed diets and nothing works for long, she still manages to tap and flip and re-chew her leg. If it is hormones - how long does a cycle last? Environmental? A new business with bright lights was built next door and I added dark curtains for her at night (we are moving hopfully by autumn.) Seasonal? Spring is almost here...

Does she need another bird as a friend? That worked for my over grooming cat. I can get a mature female Eclcetus from a shelter nearby, but would that make things twice as difficult?

Or...do I return her to the breeder? I don't want to, but I don't think she is thriving here anymore.

Any thoughts? You guys have been great with advice and I truly appreciate you.

Lillian

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It might be time to try some meds like gabapentin or Celebrex (or both) if you haven't tried that with her. Speaking with my CAV he has a different view on the toe tapping and wing flipping.

I can't remember, has she had a full chem panel, CBC, and disease testing?

Also, diet changes take time to make a difference, sometimes weeks/ months. If you're switching too many things at once you may miss something that does help because another variable may hinder the process. I understand your frustration, but you may be trying to take things too quickly

Last edited:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I just read in your last post that you want to avoid a vet, I would recommend one in this situation. Perhaps a second opinion? I'm not sure what issues you feel are caused by vet visits, but it's something I would talk to your vet about.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Thank you for responding. We have used gabapentin and metacam, I couldn't tell if it a made a difference. It did make her become aggressive when I tried to give her medicine. Penelope has seen 3 different avian vets which are about 2 - 3 hours away. 2 of those trips were for toe tapping. All three visits were traumatic with several feathers becoming damaged. The first visit was a wellness 1st checkup. She flew away from the vet and my son was able to get her. She bit him badly and to this day does not like him. She was his bird and only liked him at the time. The following vet visits were for tapping and complete bloodwork and X-rays were done. Nothing was found. She had to be clipped because of feathers broken during one exam. And of course she gets so stressed that it takes days before I can approach her again. So...I just can't see doing that again right now.

Sorry about that being so long! You are right about not giving a diet enough time!

Plus we do have the new lights next door and SNOWPLOWs at night this week. It sounds like tanks going down our street.

I so want her to be happy and look good again. But I know I have be a bit more patient, at least until Spring.

Thank you again.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm going to send you a pm when I get back to my computer...

I'm sorry for being redundant, but did the bloodwork include disease testing and if so which? Has she been tested for giardia?

If it's dry in your apartment you might consider a humidifier. I find my guys get itchier in the winter time because of the heat.

I sympathize with the meds, a Rosco also becomes very angry for them.

tpaq1972

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tanya Quinn
Any idea where to get a good sprout mix in Canada for Eclectus?

tpaq1972

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tanya Quinn
I will check there. Thank you.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
I have found that know matter what sprout mix I use...Penelope will pick out the Chickpeas to eat. So I am saving money now and just buying the cheap Chickpeas (they sprout the best) adding a few lentils and sugar peas.