• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Allergy Symptoms

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Some signs of beginning food sensitivity to watch for in your eclectus, even those who are healthy and in good feather:

~ 'Shaking it off'. Frequent head and whole body quick flexing. All birds do this periodically. Watch for signs your ekkie starts doing it frequently throughout the day. Accompanying irritability. Cannot relax.
~ Frequent scratching and itching. In severe cases sleep is also interrupted with scratching.
~ Frequent Head twitching
~ Involuntary wing flipping when trying to nap during the day or sleep at night.
~ Involuntary toe tapping
~ Plucking

If your ekkie develops any of these signs it is prudent to take them off all protein foods immediately which would include beans, nuts, pellets, egg, etc. Corn is also a trigger for some ekkies.

Toby&Rosie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janice
ok ill look in to this my male Toby started plucking about 6months ago 7years old. Rosie (6year) the female is fine, so I thought it couldn't be the diet. he has always been a scratcher and she is not. I'm going to start taking out all protein diet today and see what happens. Toby also has dandruff? what can I do for that? they shower every other day.
Janice

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
ok ill look in to this my male Toby started plucking about 6months ago 7years old. Rosie (6year) the female is fine, so I thought it couldn't be the diet. he has always been a scratcher and she is not. I'm going to start taking out all protein diet today and see what happens. Toby also has dandruff? what can I do for that? they shower every other day.
Janice
You could try a humidifier? If they're molting you could be mistaking the natural feather dust for dandruff as well. Did you have any disease testing done when he started plucking?

Toby&Rosie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janice
Toby had a full blood work and swabbed of bacteria. All came back normal. food sensitivity sound like the next thing to try.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What helped Ruby a lot with itching (besides diet) was to only use non-tap water for her showers. I hated to do that because we used to take showers together but the chemicals in the tap water was a big irritant to her. Now I use distilled water on her and she's no longer bothered by itchy skin and there is no more dandruff.

Besides stopping the protein (beans, nuts, pellets, etc) you may want to stop high carbs (corn, sweet potato, rice, etc) Give it a few weeks or a month and if you see improvement then start adding these items back into her diet one at a time maybe a week or two apart to see if the symptoms start again so you can determine what he may be sensitive to. Eventually you may be able to still feed these foods, just not every day.

Birds need protein to grow healthy feathers so sprouts are a good way to go so he doesn't get depleted. Sprouting beans is the healthier/safer way to feed them to birds who have food allergies.

Toby&Rosie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Janice
Glad to say after 6months, Toby is back with all his feathers! :laugh:
He was almost bald on his chest legs and back. had to ware a vest for 4 months.
Cut out all nuts and other foods like you said, them add stuff back in.
So Happy for all your help! :hug8:

Mealyamazon1

Moving in
Real Name
Scott
Is your elctus known how to talk..they very smart.. hope your toby got no more danrufff..so how is he do now...what cause of danrufff

Iluvekkies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
walter combs
My female Ekkie was almost bare (except head) from plucking when she was given to me. Her feathers have been coming back in. Apparently she has been plucking for several years. I have been spraying her with aloe vera and giving her a heavy misting every day. I also have been giving her more fresh fruit and veggies although she mostly just will eat the grapes. She is a VERY picky eater and seems to prefer seeds to other foods. I was feeding her too much egg and have cut that down to just a little every week or so. I had thought maybe the plucking was because of the lack of protein in her diet. Although her feathers are coming back, I am seeing some evidence of some plucking again. This is very frustrating. I have been told that mixing some Listerine into a spray bottle and misting her might prevent or discourage plucking. Any thoughts?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I had tried the Listerine remedy many years ago when Ruby first started plucking. It had no effect whatsoever. Sometimes with a change in diet the plucking can be stopped but from what I've researched and seen some become habitual pluckers like Ruby. Other factors can exacerbate the problem, hormones being one, predisposition being another, etc. You may want to stop the egg altogether and cut back on other protein and carbs is in her diet and see if that helps. :hug8:

Peter Mueller

Checking out the neighborhood
Verdi is 7 years old. We raised him since he was 6 weeks. One he was on solid food, we gave him pellets, Spirulina, and bee pollen (regular food consisted of fruits and veggies). He developed wing-flipping about 6 months ago. We found the diet by Stephanja D (below), cut out all the pellets, Spirulina and pollen. It took about a month, but the wing flipping is gone! (he occasionally flips a few times before sleep, but not for long). Thanks Avianavenue forums and Stephanja!

Stefanja Dumanowski Healthy ekkie Diet

Here is an overview of what I feed here at Out of the Blue. By adult I am referring to an eclectus that is 2+ years old.

FEED EVERY DAY FROM THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES, EXCLUDING 'EXTRAS' ...
***VEGETABLES:
I feed only raw vegetables, organic as much as possible. Every third day I make up a raw veggie mix in batches (so the more delicate stuff doesn't get mushed) in the food processor, mix it together and keep in the fridge in a sealed glass container. It consists of the following categories of veggies:
LEAFY GREENS are critical and include whatever I can get in season ... usually two or three different ones in rotation about every three days. Just made up a chopped mix which included,
BOK CHOY, DANDELION GREENS, ENDIVE, ROMAINE LETTUCE, GREEN KALE
others to use SWISS CHARD, BABY SPINACH, MUSTARD GREENS, COLLARDS, BLACK KALE, DARK GREEN LETTUCES, MESCLUN MIX, etc These greens may also be tied in a bunch or put into a foraging toy, or skewered to be eaten whole. It is always interesting to see which part of the green the eclectus prefers! Swiss chard is a particular favourite here, as is endive.
CELERY is a constant. I put it in the general chopped veggie mix but it is particularly enjoyed by the stick. Feed freely.
OTHER would include summer squash like zucchini, peeled broccoli stems (florets are fine but not every time), raw green beans, raw edible shell peas,
ORANGE VEGGIES include alternating carrots and deep orange winter squash not cooked and finely chopped. I often give a chunk of pumpkin or butternut squash with seeds attached ... or scoop out the seeds by the spoon and place them in feed dishes. Rarely I will use some sweet potato ... but seldom for adults unless they are feeding babies.

***FRUIT:
Fruit is a source of energy and calories and in my experience a very important part of the eclectus diet. I only feed organic berries and those I grow and pick myself. It is not always possible for me to get organic mangos and papaya so I make sure they are well washed and peeled before feeding.
BERRIES are fed nearly every day. I freeze large quantities throughout the summer including BLUEBERRIES, RASPBERRIES, SASKATOON BERRIES, BLACKBERRIES, BLACK AND RED CURRANTS. Fresh and in season I feed STRAWBERRIES, POMEGRANITES (lots and lots), and the fresh versions of the ones I freeze. KIWI is also a favourite (if organic leave the skin on).
GRANNY SMITH APPLES are sliced and fed nearly every day
PAPAYA WITH SEEDS or MANGO
other fruit choices mostly in season are fresh FIGS, PEARS, WATERMELON WITH SEEDS, fresh CANTALOUPE AND HONEYDEW MELON SEEDS (the fruit is rejected by my lot), KIWI (if organic leave the skin on). I feed BANANA rarely as it is higher calorie. It is choice for my pair feeding babies and the weaning babies love it so I reserve it more as a treat for adult pets.

***FATS:
I have found 'good fats' to be essential in the diet I feed my eclectus. Both vitamin A and vitamin D are fat soluble vitamins and both are vital for calcium metabolism. Sources of omega 3 fatty acids should be balanced with omega 6 fatty acids. Our human diet tends to predominate in omega 6 which has an inflammatory effect on our bodies. Since we generally choose our birds' food from those we have available to us humans it it good to be aware of what kind of fats we are feeding.
Generally speaking, here at Out of the Blue, the omega 6 fatty acids seeds are in my sprout mix. These include raw sunflower seeds, sometimes pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds. These could also be part of a dry seed mix if preferred.
In addition, each day I alternate CHIA seed (sometimes called Salba) and ground FLAX seed about 1/4 teaspoon per bird. Sometimes I give both to that amount. But I do this every single day.
WALNUT is also an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids which is the preferred treat food here. Each bird gets perhaps 1/4 walnut per day. Also nearly every day my adults get a soaked ALMOND at bedtime.
PLEASE NOTE: At this point, I just want to say that in the context of the FAT sources that I feed my eclectus here, I FEED A SCANT MINIMUM, IF ANY, COOKED CARBOHYDRATE FOODS. CARBOHYDRATE TYPE FOODS SUCH AS BIRDIE BREADS, MASH TYPE FOODS, (RICE, BEANS, GRAINS, etc) whether home made or purchased, are reserved for breeding and baby rearing where these types of food are a source of high energy and calories. Once my babies are six months old they are eating an adult diet as I gradually phase out the more calorie dense foods. I just give them about double the amount of food that I would give the adults, but the actual food is similar.

***SPROUTS AND SEEDS:
For years now I have fed my eclectus a varied SPROUT MIX that is completely free of gluten grains. I can talk more about sprouts and sprouting in another message but for purposes of this one want to emphasize that sprouting puts the 'seed' at its most vulnerable (free of digestive inhibitors) and nutritionally superior to its dry component. And of course it is a living food and supremely fresh. I have NEVER had a problem with sprouting or with contaminated sprouts that I have prepared myself. And I do recommend doing it yourself and never trusting the packaged sprouts that you can buy. The sprout mix is my main stay for PROTEIN. I would say generally that each one of my adults eats a level to heaping tablespoon of sprouts each day ... more if a couple of my boys manages a sprout raid on the counter!
IF for some reason you wouldn't feed sprouts, then if you asked me for my advice I would suggest that any cooked mix containing seeds, legumes, rice etc. be gluten free and not exceed a tablespoon a day for an ADULT eclectus. Or you could combine some cooked mixes with sprouts for a total of the heaping tablespoon. Please keep in mind that cooking changes the chemistry of the food and and I believe the COOKED MASHES are where the adult eclectus start running into problems with excess weight gain, over stimulated hormones, and possibly nutritional deficiencies generally.
For that tablespoon of sprouts and/or mash I strongly recommend it be mixed with an equal amount of chopped veggies or more eventually. Vegetables are full of fibre and minerals and they are low in calories.
MILLET SPRAY, OR A PLAIN UNFORTIFIED BUDGIE MIX (no sunflower or safflower) are treats here. At bedtime I give either 1/2 teaspoon budgie mix OR a 3" length of millet spray.

***EXTRAS: If you generally follow the guidelines above, you would be feeding your adult eclectus an excellent diet. Here are some foods that I have heard referred to lately that I will just comment on from my point of view:
CORN ... I feed daily to parents and weaning babies and then gradually taper to every second or third day. Adults get about half a wheel of the raw corn on the cob when in season. Other times during the year, frozen up to a 1/2 teaspoon about every two to three days.
BEE POLLEN ... a protein source and extremely concentrated food. Also rich in B vitamins and unless your eclectus is very active can be too rich. Once a week 1/8 teaspoon is fine but no other dedicated protein sources on that day.
EDAMAME AND COOKED BEANS ... Count those beans and not every day! They are a protein source but also high in calories and carbohydrates. I seldom offer cooked beans but do give the Edamame beans (immature soya beans) once or twice a week. Adults get 9 each. I buy organic, GMO free, frozen and then bring them to the boil, rinse and drain.
EGG ... about once every week or two each one of my adults get ONE HALF A TEASPOON of SCRAMBLED EGG on their supper. PLEASE NOTE THE AMOUNT AND FREQUENCY! This is in the absence of other animal protein sources. I buy organic, free range eggs. IF YOU CAN'T GET EGGS THAT ARE ORGANIC AND FREE RANGE ... DO NOT FEED EGGS EVER to the eclectus adult.
PELLETS ... consider them a supplement! They are a processed food. I do use them for parents and babies, BUT none of my pet adults get them.
HEMP HEARTS ... an excellent protein source and source of balanced essential fatty acids. However it should only be offered in measured amounts ... 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon and not on a daily basis as it is high in protein. I use it daily for breeding and baby raising ... but pet adults should have it no more than a couple of times a week and I would suggest it is reserved for times of stress such as moulting.

I have probably missed some things, but am more than happy to continue the conversation. Feel free to ask your questions. I haven't gone into a lot of detail here, but all of this information comes out of my research and experience over many years with a very healthy flock of eclectus including my pair Dharma and Tuli, their babies that are parent reared, and adults of various ages.

Stefanja

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Thank you for this post! I have been doing a bean mix everyday and we have issues. Do you know of a sprout mix to purchase? I have only sprouted lentils and chickpeas.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby loves this sprout mix. They also sell larger sprouts by she prefers the small ones.

Lil Bird Sprouts

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Thank you for sprout mix link.

I was so excited to post that the toe tapping and wing flipping had stopped...then tonight it is bad again! Very bad.

This week I switched to bottled water, organic carrots & greens, stopped sweet potato and bean mix. Added egg shells. No pomogranate and no sunflower.

Why was tonight different? I gave her bean sprouts and veggies for Breakfast, kiwi and a few veggies at lunch and veggies at dinner. And a walnut half. I also left for an hour which is not normal.

BUT...
She had an almond and a 1/2 teaspoon of seed as a snack. She had the seed yesterday with no problem.

Did the walnut with the almond and seed take her too far? Or is it almond?

So...no seed, no nuts, and no bean mix for the next 3 days. After this...I don't know.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
No flipping and no tapping! Penelope still is a bit lame on her leg she chewed but she is using it more. She hasn't had any sweet potato or Volkman Eclectus mix in 5 days...I don't know if that was the cause of the tapping/flipping or hormones. I do know that we are both a bit happier. Happy New Year!

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
We were seeing so much improvement...today Penelope is tapping and flipping and has chewed on her foot again ( it was healing nicely.)

The only change...I gave her a treat of MILLET! I have suspected seed, but was assured that was not it. I think it is.

Meanwhile, we start the rough road to recovery again.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Don't get discouraged. It will get under control again. There are many variables that can trigger a recurrence, some being hormones, stress, a bit too much of the trigger foods and also reasons we cannot zero in on. In your earlier post you said you gave her 1/2 a walnut. Ruby can only handle 1/4 of a walnut. I alternate between that and one or two almond and sometimes I have to cut back if she's having symptoms. If you suspect a particular food then give it sparingly or not at all. It doesn't matter if everyone else says it can't be that. I would wait till she's been symptom free for a week and then try the millet again and see what happens. I have found that sometimes when the toe tapping or wing flipping starts again it may not be the last food offered but a slow build up of something else that finally has reached it's max which in Ruby's case if usually too much protein. Now that she's devouring sprouts I have to balance how much I offer because she's so sensitive to protein. Research your veggies, etc for protein and carb content. You'd be surprised.
:hug8:

The 6 Veggies with the Most Protein | Women's Health Magazine

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Okay...I need to think about a build up especially with sprouts and walnuts.
I have noticed that after any millet or any seed Penelope twitches and itches the next day. It's hard keeping a variety of foods and trying to figure out what's causing problems.

I so appreciate your input and I'll try to balance the protein better.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Also make sure the seed brand is high quality with good reviews on good bird forums. Before Ruby was eating sprouts I only gave her 1/4 tsp basic budgie seed. I use Higgins: Supreme Parakeet Seed. It's very clean with no added dried veggies or vitamins, etc. Now that she's eating sprouts I sprout the Higgins seed along with a seed mixture I buy from Sprout People. I give her a heaping TLB of the sprouts every morning and no dry seed any more. Still I have to cut back when she shows any symptoms.

Higgins Seed: D-HIG50506 Higgins Supreme Parakeet Bulk By the Pound - HIGGINS
Sprouts Bird Mix: Lil Bird Sprouts

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
How many meals do you feed Ruby a day? When you notice symptoms...are you talking about tapping? I assume no two birds are the same, but what is her diet like?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
@Lilyrat

I'm sorry, Lillian, just seeing this. Ruby is on a very specialized diet because of her severe allergies. First thing in the morning she gets 1-2 tablespoons of bean and seed sprouts. A couple hours later for breakfast she gets a cup or more of fresh veggie chop which consists of a combination of green, yellow and purple lettuces (one of which is always Romaine but no Ice-Burg), carrots, kale, celery, sweet and hot peppers, tiny bit of broccoli and cauliflower (because she doesn't like them so too much and she wont eat any of the chop). To that I add to the bowl ground flax seed and 1/2 grated frozen Brussels sprout (if there was no toe-tapping/wing flipping during the night), one small dried grated fig (her best food enticer!), 1/4tsp ground flax seed and 1-2 tablespoons cooked grains, right now a combo of quinoa and millet (again only if there was no wf/tt the night before). I make enough chop to last about 4 days and keep it in the fridge. I change the veggies up depending on what looks good at the store and what I know she will eat.

She doesn't get 'lunch' but, instead a snack in the afternoon consisting of fruit, pumpkin seeds, a small ball of millet (from off a sprig).

Supper is UnPellet Dry Mix of which I've taken the beans and rice chunks OUT and only give 2 almonds or 1 almond and 1/4 walnut and an occasional 1/4 tsp chia seed.

Unpellet ingredients (I put in red what I take out):
INGREDIENTS: GREEN CHUNKS: Alfalfa leaf, dandelion leaf, quinoa, buckwheat, flax seed, hemp seeds, milk thistle seeds, sesame seeds, lemon peel, rose hips, elder berries, sticky rice flour, tapioca, lemon grass, cinnamon, montmorillonite clay, coconut oil, rosemary oil,ginger. OTHER GOODIES: leafy greens, black or brown rice (comes in chunks so I regulate how much she gets), zucchini, bell peppers, celery,sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, mulberries, goji berries, cranberry, orange peel, hibiscus flowers, calendula, chamomile, mung beans, lentils, adzuki beans, pumpkin seeds, almonds, purple corn, coconut, star anise.

UnPellet Mix

Sprouts:
A mixture of the budgie seed and birdie sprouts:
Seed is Higgins Supreme Parakeet (because it's very clean without any additives).

D-HIG50506 Higgins Supreme Parakeet Bulk By the Pound - HIGGINS

...and this sprout mix from SproutPeople:
Lil Bird Sprouts

When I want to give her a treat it's either fruit or nuts.