• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First ever conure!

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
After months of lurking on this forum, having asked a couple questions myself and done a lot of research, I took the step and bought my first ever conure today! It's a 3 months old female, currently nameless so if you have any suggestions feel free to help us out haha.
Along with this post comes my first question already. But I covered her cage a little while ago so she could sleep. And when I checked her a little later I actually found her sleeping while hanging on the cage bars. I assume this is because she isn't used to the new environment/cage? She definitely has plenty of proper sleeping spots in her cage so I know it's not because there's a lack of sleeping spots. If anyone could confirm this, or correct me on why else they do this that'd be great!
birb2.jpg birb.jpg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:fairy2: :heart2: congratulations!
First day nerves probably why on the side of the cage . They need some time to adjust to all the new stuff

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
:fairy2: :heart2: congratulations!
First day nerves probably why on the side of the cage . They need some time to adjust to all the new stuff
Yeah, that's what I thought. Although I have to say she was really active already. She really went ahead and explored everything I put in the cage, even ate. Any bird experience I've had in the past took way longer to be comfortable enough to do any of that. But I guess that's just the curious, adventurous nature of conures haha.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness she's so precious! Jade popped into my head as soon as I saw her.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
She is precious. My daughter's conure is the same way. Came home from 12 hours of traveling and was like a toddler without a nap and waaaay too much candy. Congratulations.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Wow! Thats such a pretty greencheek!! What type of wood is she on? It looks really nice to play with.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
She's adorable. My turquoise sleeps hanging onto the bars....always has. He's the only one.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
My daughters conure slept on the side of the cage for 1-2 days. Now he sleeps underneath his favorite toy.

EonWolf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
It’s so exciting having a new Conure! My mom has been spilling all the secrets on my CBC Dragon’s sleeping habits, but I can still offer some name ideas for the gorgeous little lady!

Given the resemblance to a little pear, may I recommend Pyrus? It’s the genus name that pear trees belong to.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So gorgeous congratulations on your new baby :heart:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Wow! Thats such a pretty greencheek!! What type of wood is she on? It looks really nice to play with.
It looks like cork bark my birds love their cork bark branches

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
It is indeed a big trunk of corkbark. I placed some corkbark perches in the cage as well. Really good material for them to chew on!

As for the name, we probably have come to a decision :) We're thinking of Yesim (pronounced Yeshim), as that is Turkish for Jade.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
It is indeed a big trunk of corkbark. I placed some corkbark perches in the cage as well. Really good material for them to chew on!

As for the name, we probably have come to a decision :) We're thinking of Yesim (pronounced Yeshim), as that is Turkish for Jade.
Love it :heart: such a lovely name

mum new conure as cork bark Perches and loves chewing them

indie my lovebird chews her too

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
welcome Yesim!!
May you have a long healthy happy life full of love

Mrprocrast

Meeting neighbors
Thanks all :) I have been sitting by her cage and talked to her a lot. She is definitely far more comfortable already and can pretty much move around the cage and eat while I'm sitting right in front of her. However I've noticed that hands are definitely still a scary thing. As soon as my hand makes the tiniest movement, she startles haha. But that is something we're going to work on of course!
Also, I am very pleasantly surprised to see that she has accepted eating pellets from the first day already. I read tons of posts where people kept saying that it's taking them forever to get their bird on a pellet diet, but she only left a bunch of crumbs in her feeder, so I'm really glad we already got that out of the way :D

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is lovely...

One of mine sleeps on her bars pretty regularly nothing to worru about.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

I didn't know Corkbark was safe for birds :wideyed: I use it for my hermit crabs, i'll let Spearmint tear apart a piece next time ;)