• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finch Personality

Ziekenzie

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone. I've fallen down the finch rabbit hole recently, and I figured that the wonderful people of this forum would be able to offer answers to some of my questions.

1) Is it true that finches can only be 'tamed' if they are hand raised? What is considered 'tame'?
2) Has there been any attempts to breed for tameness? Would this even be possible?
3) What is the interaction with the average finch like?
4) What's your favorite thing about finches?
5) Why did you get finches?

Thank you in advance!

NavaTrace

Moving in
1) Is it true that finches can only be 'tamed' if they are hand raised? What is considered 'tame'? Probably! My finches are not hand raised and the closest I can get is when I have their favorite treat in my hand, they will land in my hand to eat it but if I make the slightest move they fly away. I worked to get them to land on my hand every day for about a week. If they arent hungry they aren't intestered in landing on my hand.
2) Has there been any attempts to breed for tameness? Would this even be possible? I'm not a breeder so I can't answer this one.
3) What is the interaction with the average finch like? TBH I think finches in general are look but don't touch type of pets.
4) What's your favorite thing about finches? I love watching them! Their acrobatic flying, their little songs, and I love how they get along with eachother and preen eachother and cuddle up together at night.
5) Why did you get finches? Because I think they are so cute! And I have enough room for a large cage.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think finches make good pets for parrots. And they don’t want human attention themselves which can be nice.

Reshah

Meeting neighbors
1) Is it true that finches can only be 'tamed' if they are hand raised? What is considered 'tame'?
Java finch can be tamed.
2) Has there been any attempts to breed for tameness? Would this even be possible?
I'm not sure most species have the social structure for that sort of tamness. Society finches are a domestic species but while mine do not fear me they show no interest for any but their kind
3) What is the interaction with the average finch like?
I watch them sing to each other and interact. They are more like an aquarium I guess
4) What's your favorite thing about finches?
I like listening to them
5) Why did you get finches?
The colour mutations and the general beauty of the animals. I like my finches better than my parakeets honestly.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
In Asia some cultures hand raise finches and then those birds are quite tame.

I can’t imagine how you would do the feedings for the first couple weeks, though.

Some finches sing really beautifully (canaries and grassfinches), others are colorful (Gouldian of strawberry finch), others have neat social lives or do fun mating behaviors.