• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female tiel aggressive towards other tiel

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello.
My 3 year old female cockatiel Pebble just attacked my (presumably) elder female cockatiel Rebel. They've never really gotten along but neither have ever attacked each other. Pebble did an almost raptor-like glide pounce towards Rebel, scaring her and sending her flying away. The situation before was calm, all my 3 tiels (1 male) were sitting on the shelves they like and Pebble just suddenly attacked.
Now i doubt this would be related to nesting behavior as the male who is Pebble's mate had nothing against Rebel being right there next to them. All birds have been together for those 3 years I've had Pebble.
Any idea why she suddenly went at Rebel? Are they possibly rewriting their pecking order?

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
Hello.
My 3 year old female cockatiel Pebble just attacked my (presumably) elder female cockatiel Rebel. They've never really gotten along but neither have ever attacked each other. Pebble did an almost raptor-like glide pounce towards Rebel, scaring her and sending her flying away. The situation before was calm, all my 3 tiels (1 male) were sitting on the shelves they like and Pebble just suddenly attacked.
Now i doubt this would be related to nesting behavior as the male who is Pebble's mate had nothing against Rebel being right there next to them. All birds have been together for those 3 years I've had Pebble.
Any idea why she suddenly went at Rebel? Are they possibly rewriting their pecking order?
could it be mating season? Females tend to be aggressive towards each other (budgies at least, I’m not sure about teils...)
Maybe separate them for a while (separate cages near each other) so the one being attacked can get away safely

Reactions: Pie

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
could it be mating season? Females tend to be aggressive towards each other (budgies at least, I’m not sure about teils...)
Maybe separate them for a while (separate cages near each other) so the one being attacked can get away safely
I figured they would've calmed down since summer is coming to an end but I will do this if the attacks keep happening. Thank you for reply

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Max
I figured they would've calmed down since summer is coming to an end but I will do this if the attacks keep happening. Thank you for reply
No problem!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Are the daylight hours your tiels experiencing matching the season? Do they get uncovered at dawn and covered in a quiet area at dusk? Without seasonal lighting changes your tiels may never experience breaks from breeding season. Give them all at least 12hrs quiet and darkness every day.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Are the daylight hours your tiels experiencing matching the season? Do they get uncovered at dawn and covered in a quiet area at dusk? Without seasonal lighting changes your tiels may never experience breaks from breeding season. Give them all at least 12hrs quiet and darkness every day.
They do. Yet they still behave like this

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They do. Yet they still behave like this
Has to be territorial then. At least the two females need to be split, meaning seperate cages and possibly seperate wingtime.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Has to be territorial then. At least the two females need to be split, meaning seperate cages and possibly seperate wingtime.
Alright. Any clue for how long?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Alright. Any clue for how long?
Try 8-12 weeks to start. Keep a close eye when you reintroduce them. The territorial thing may be for life though so be ready for that. And the female you cage seperately may want to keep her new cage.