• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeling like a terrible bird momma

ginjaninja004

Meeting neighbors
So.. I just got home from the ER a few minutes ago and I have an upper respiratory infection, sinus infection and a pretty nasty case of bronchitis.

I am truly miserable but my biggest concern is my bird. I havent been handling him because I have been sick (just today and yesterday)

I am a first time conure owner and I do know that they are very attached to their humans, and he is very much attached to me to the point he throws a fit in his cage. I have been letting him out but not holding him and he just seems so upset by it..

Is there anyone who can tell me if i can handle him with this? or if I should continue to just keep him caged for a few days until i get better?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I will also be interested in the answer about transfer to birds, in the meanwhile I hope you get to feeling better!

ginjaninja004

Meeting neighbors
I know some illnesses can be passed to birds but i keep finding conflicting information.. I felt it would be best to ask here

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
As hard as it is I'd stay away from him. I do that when I have a really bad cold. Even thou you feel like a bad mom, you are not! You are doing right by him by trying not to get him sick too. The fact you feel guilty just shows me how much you love him. :heart: Feel better soon :bighug:

ginjaninja004

Meeting neighbors
I just dont want him to hate me D:

He is out of his cage 90 percent of the time so this just makes him such an angry lil birdy

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
sorry you are not feeling well. Best call your avian vet and ask her or him.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
There are very few illnesses that can be passed human to bird, bird to human or from species to species in general. Most viruses and illnesses are species specific. That's why it is such a big deal when things like avian influenza, mad cow disease, swine flu and HIV pop up that have crossed species. And of course, psittacosis. If you have a cold, your bird is not going to catch it from you. I realize you have more than a cold, but I don't think birds get bronchitis. The infection, you may want to check with a vet on.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's an interruption in the daily schedule so there are bound to be some issues. I think letting him out as you can, but find a balance of staying away as well. Maybe within sight if possible. That way you can talk, but not touch as much. When you feel better, then shower him with affection and let him know everything is ok.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was always told that anything that is bacterial, there is a risk of passing it on to our birds. If it's viral, than no. I hope you feel better soon.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I was always told that anything that is bacterial, there is a risk of passing it on to our birds. If it's viral, than no. I hope you feel better soon.
Me too. My current vet doesn't even like to see you give too many birdie kisses in fear you might pass something on. I can't help myself I have to give them some:xflove:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Birds love routine and your conure's has been disrupted. Also they understand when something is wrong with you. I had a kidney stone 2 years ago a few months after I first got Bella and I wound up spending a lot of time in the bathroom being sick and then had to have emergency surgery. Even to this day, I either have to take Bella with me to the bathroom or leave the door open so she can run in there to protect me. Is there a playstand where you bird can stay and play on near you? I hope you feel better soon. There is a nasty flu floating around.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
On the flip side, if you have a respiratory infection, bird dust is not going to be good for you. I would keep my distance for now.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry you are not feeling well. Best to not spend a lot of time with him right now. When you do interact you could wear a disposable filter mask.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Even a *healthy* human could get a bird sick simply by allowing the bird access to their mouths.

Although you might not have any illness that you could pass on to your bird, that doesn't mean that your bird still couldn't get sick from you. (bacteria)

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
They sure do know when something is wrong with a flock member. My goodness. Bird is usually such a jerk. But when times are tough, he is all hero. Since my fall, my ribs are on the mend, and my elbow and hip are almost 100%. And Bird has been the best nurse. But now that I am getting better, he is also getting back to normal:crycry2: