• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feather question

frogfoot

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I think I've noticed that Ruby's feathers break down more than normal. When she is preening she leaves a LOT of dust and feather fragments which I think is atypical based on comments from other Ekkie owners. She doesn't barber her feathers or anything and has full plumage, but whenever she loses a feather, especially a flight feather or tail feather, the end of it is extremely worn (See picture) oftentimes down to the shaft. Why does this happen? Could it be a nutritional thing? Maybe she is chewing on them? She is generally healthy, albeit somewhat overweight lol. Some of her body feathers have missing pieces too.

I know feathers get worn from flying, but she doesn't fly often enough for this to be an issue. She is fully flighted but chooses not to fly. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe she's not getting enough protein? Calcium deficiency? I know she used to be a chronic-egg layer before she came to me (no eggs yet, fingers crossed).

Attachments

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's just normal wear and tear on a feather. The fact that she "doesn't" fly is a contributor. Constantly climbing, walking swishing that tail on everything.

frogfoot

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for your response, JLcribber! I had parrotlets before I got Ruby and I saved their feathers to make jewelry from, and they were never this worn. Maybe larger parrots' feathers get worn down faster?

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Normal feather damage nothing to worry about. Eckies don't have much dander like cockatoos. I actually notice 0 from mine. If your bird seems to be having noticeable dander you should increase your showers you are providing :) Eckies require showers much more frequently then other types of birds.