• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Family left behind ☹️

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What can happen with a cardboard box??
When the chicks get a bit bigger, and poop more, the moisture will soak into the box and breed bacteria and possibly even mould. It will be impossible to scrape down when changing nest bedding unlike a wooden box. If you have an identical box, you can switch it. If it's not the same, I don't know what will happen, lovebirds are pretty good parents but for your hen, it could be a lot of overwhelming change.

You will need to change the nest bedding at approx 7 days, and then every few days from there on out.

Has another chick hatched?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
How are the babies doing?
We would love an update when you get the chance.:)

Luvbirds

Meeting neighbors
When the chicks get a bit bigger, and poop more, the moisture will soak into the box and breed bacteria and possibly even mould. It will be impossible to scrape down when changing nest bedding unlike a wooden box. If you have an identical box, you can switch it. If it's not the same, I don't know what will happen, lovebirds are pretty good parents but for your hen, it could be a lot of overwhelming change.

You will need to change the nest bedding at approx 7 days, and then every few days from there on out.

Has another chick hatched?
Thanks for the info and tips!!! I think I might change the box now that I know all those details. Thanks a million! and the other Bird hasn't hatch yet but I'm thinking maybe the ending of this week or starting of the following

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think I might change the box now
Wait for the other eggs to hatch first.
Theoretically they should be hatching every other day.
After a week, if the eggs don't hatch, you can remove them.

The box looks clean enough for now. After a week when you remove the eggs, remove any poops from the nest by changing the bedding, but keep the box for now. As these birds get older they will start making a mess of the box but you will see it and know when to change the box.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
How are the babies hope they are well

Luvbirds

Meeting neighbors
How are the babies hope they are well
Hey, they are doing well. The other eggs well… just no sign. So I changed the box and bedding, it smelled way to bad. But will mom eventually go in the new box with her chicks?