• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ever notice how it’s the smaller birds that are more evil

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
And you never know when you're going to run into a really crabby crap. :shake:

alittlecrabby.gif

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
This precious face tried to bite my toes today, and went to war with my shoes. Just a little baby who'd never hurt a fly!

20231208_132111.jpg

(She's comfy here, if she wasn't happy she'd bite me for sure lol)

flocknroll

Meeting neighbors
Yes, I have absolutely noticed :roflmao: My GCC and many budgies are bullies. I have a lovebird who's also a little bit crazy but... Have you ever owned a Sulphur Crested? Because mine has the soul of satan. Just look into his eyes and you'll see the devil himself.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
This precious face tried to bite my toes today, and went to war with my shoes. Just a little baby who'd never hurt a fly!

View attachment 438577

I'm sorry did you just accuse that sweet, darling little jellybean of heinous crimes? She'll see you in Bird Court!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

View attachment 438577

:awww::swoon::swoon::swoon:
But I too ,know all to well the other side!

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Yes, I have absolutely noticed :roflmao: My GCC and many budgies are bullies. I have a lovebird who's also a little bit crazy but... Have you ever owned a Sulphur Crested? Because mine has the soul of satan. Just look into his eyes and you'll see the devil himself.
I had cockatoos for a bit but they were so polite, never bit. My experiences with bigger birds are better than that of smaller birds.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My GCC was vicious when he was maturing (age ~2-7). Bite and grind, flying attacks, biting between fingers and on neck…

Eventually he came out of that phase and doesn’t bite all that often now - and of course I also know his body language well and respect warnings.

He really seemed to mellow out when he hit about 10. Now he’s 13 and pretty chill. Sometimes I worry about his health when he’s not feisty enough!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I had cockatoos for a bit but they were so polite, never bit. My experiences with bigger birds are better than that of smaller birds.
I can only speak for the bigger ones who are super gentle. The wee ones are too cute to bite lol

Reactions: Biz

lil_lady_m

Moving in
Real Name
Serenity
Pro Tip: If your bird has a biting problem begin to touch him/her lightly under the wing whenever she nips too hard. Birds dislike their wings being touched, but it is not harmful. Pairing the two stimulus (e.g. Bite and Wing) together will have your bird stop in no time. I have tried this with several birds and has never failed. You can also train bird what is an acceptable bite (e.g. beaking) or too hard (e.g. wing touch). Of course, you should not do this if you provoked the bird (e.g. ignored body signs).

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Isn't touching a bird under the wings a signal a mate would use? I would definitely not do that.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Pro Tip: If your bird has a biting problem begin to touch him/her lightly under the wing whenever she nips too hard. Birds dislike their wings being touched, but it is not harmful. Pairing the two stimulus (e.g. Bite and Wing) together will have your bird stop in no time. I have tried this with several birds and has never failed. You can also train bird what is an acceptable bite (e.g. beaking) or too hard (e.g. wing touch). Of course, you should not do this if you provoked the bird (e.g. ignored body signs).
I don't know that I would recommend that - wings (and under the wings) are erogenous zones, and it's definitely an area that should be stayed away from.

Instead of touching the wing, you can redirect to a toy (much the way you can with dogs), or give a good vocal yelp. When one bird is preening another, for example, if they hit a tender spot, the bird will squawk or squeak (emit a loud noise) to say "ow! That hurt!"

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I notice you say Pro tip- can I ask who gave you this tip?