• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ever have a rehome come in that seems to be disconnected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have little Juno, male ekkie. He's been there almost 2 weeks, which is not a lot of time.

But I have never had a foster come in that felt so "disconnected". The mood I get from him is apathetic. Like he is just biding his time until he gets somewhere else. Does that make sense?

He's had some major turmoil in his life. He is 6 yrs old. (the rest I have gathered from investigating) He was shipped to NC as a baby. He lived with someone, who we cannot locate for probably 5 yrs. He flew away and was found outside. Those people kept him on their back porch and did their best by him, but did not handle him and he was sleeping outside, etc.

He was then brought into rescue where he lived with a foster for 2 months, and then came to me. So, he's had upheaval.

He does not speak, but he makes really strange noises. Definitely a crow and other birds, something that sounds like a chair scraping across a floor, water dripping. He did laugh a few times.

But, he only seeks us out to be transported to somewhere he wants to go. And I get the feeling he would fly out the door if given the chance.

Am I crazy? Ever met a bird that was disassociated?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have had fosters that seemed that way. A few of the birds (small birds) I think just felt so afraid. I have had a couple of dogs who (sorry, I am anthropomorphizing here) feel hurt by being abandoned by their families. They have always come around. I think he will come around. I don't think many people have done right by him:(

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Poor bird :(
Like Vicki said, I've seen a lot of dogs come in and act like this. It takes a very patient person, a very diligent routine, and lots of love but they eventually come around :) Best of luck with him!

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I am trying to increase my value in his eyes. When I feed him his cage mix I take all the sunflower seeds out, because he loves them.

I dispense them to him one at a time. He will bite if I try to force a step up, so I use the seeds. I then take him where ever his body language says he wants to go.

I talk to him and sing to him, but he does not seem to enjoy it.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
It sounds like the little guy may have had a rough life. Hopefully he'll come around soon and realize you are there for him.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

yes . I have Alex here. He was surrendered and actually came from an OK situation. He never truly bonded with anyone until he came here. He bonded with Jim.
I have also had many severe neglect and abusive cases.We stress out about it, I know I DO! I get sad, upset, angry..and it probably shows at times.
Good Luck and I hope he settles in.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
From what you've said he sounds pretty wild and knows he's a bird and that he knows what outside is and that's where he'd rather be. He doesn't know any other way IMO. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am trying to increase my value in his eyes. When I feed him his cage mix I take all the sunflower seeds out, because he loves them.

I dispense them to him one at a time. He will bite if I try to force a step up, so I use the seeds. I then take him where ever his body language says he wants to go.

I talk to him and sing to him, but he does not seem to enjoy it.
I think this is very smart. Food is part of survival and when you make that associated with you, it's a very good thing:)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sometimes I think we need to take a page out of Billie Fayes' playbook. Let the bird decide. There are birds that just have no interest in human companionship. I don't know if it is the right thing to force it on them.
ML

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Many parrots and birds and many animals, who have had a rough life can often seem disconnected :( Its sad, and it can be very trying to teach them that life can become solid again.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bea was a bit disconnected Debbie.

Give it time, poor guy.
I totally agree. I know you are the last person to force a bird, so I'm not worried about that. Sounds to me like this little guy has never had a close relationship with birds or people, and he doesn't really trust anyone, anything. He's had to bury his desire to bond--down deep--in order to survive. I feel so sorry for him :( But, he'll come around, in time. He'll just have to feel that he really belongs. One day, the light will come on.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

I totally agree. I know you are the last person to force a bird, so I'm not worried about that. Sounds to me like this little guy has never had a close relationship with birds or people, and he doesn't really trust anyone, anything. He's had to bury his desire to bond--down deep--in order to survive. I feel so sorry for him :( But, he'll come around, in time. He'll just have to feel that he really belongs. One day, the light will come on.
I totally agree. He just needs unconditional love and never break his trust. :hug8:

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
This post is heartbreaking to me. I really hopes he comes out of it and begins to connect with you somewhat. I fostered a bird that had lived in many homes prior to me. He was somewhat disconnected and very distrusting. I commented about it to my mother who said "Well, he probably knows the drill. He probably doesn't bother because he knows he's going to be passed off again soon." That comment really bothered me.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Here is an example of his interactions.

This morning I went in to turn on the lights and he came to the door (YAY!) so I opened the cage and asked him to step up. He did (YAY!) So I took him for a shower (he adores them).

I brought him down and put him on a stand next to me while I chopped veggies. Usually my birds love this and they get to "help" sample. He refused to try anything. and actually turned his back and his eyes went dead. I guess I had reached the saturation point after the shower. He was done with our interaction.

*sigh*. I am not finding food to be a big motivator to him. I use what I can, but I need to find his kryptonite.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

This morning I went in to turn on the lights and he came to the door (YAY!) so I opened the cage and asked him to step up. He did (YAY!) So I took him for a shower (he adores them).

I brought him down and put him on a stand next to me while I chopped veggies. Usually my birds love this and they get to "help" sample. He refused to try anything. and actually turned his back and his eyes went dead. I guess I had reached the saturation point after the shower. He was done with our interaction.

*sigh*. I am not finding food to be a big motivator to him. I use what I can, but I need to find his kryptonite.
It actually sounds like he's doing better by small degrees, Debbie. I think you're doing fine :hug8:

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
He is certainly clear in his body language. I have seldom had a bird turn their back on me and their eyes go blank. It was the equivalent of him putting on headphones and crossing his arms (picturing my teen here). LOL

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Debbie,

It's ok, this is lots of information. He likes to come out, he likes to shower, then put him away and wait for him to initiate coming out again. Maybe he isn't comfortable taking food yet, maybe just taking him out showering him and then putting him away but with the door open so he could come out if he chooses. maybe a perch just outside his door so he can choose to come out if he wants to. I have worked with some animals where offering them food was too much pressure, especially if it was offered more than once. I actually had a pretty intense situation a few weeks ago with a client dog that told me, in no uncertain terms NOT to offer food again. He became extremely uncomfortable if food was offered after he had declined it. I think it's going well considering what he has been through. I think you are doing great:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
He is certainly clear in his body language. I have seldom had a bird turn their back on me and their eyes go blank. It was the equivalent of him putting on headphones and crossing his arms (picturing my teen here). LOL
I think it's good that you are learning and respecting his body language. I would stop WAY before he has to go to this level of avoidance. Maybe you can see some earlier signals or stop while things are still good (leave him wanting more in other words:)

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
A little more progress tonight. All the birds were out, eating dinner. Juno eats on a stand on the other side of the U that makes up our kitchen.

I had to work all through dinner on a work problem, so my back was to him. He hung out on the stand and ate. A while later I looked back and he was on the side of the stand closest to me, facing me. I didn't go over right away. I just talked to him and he crooned back at me. (Eclectus coo). He had blinky eyes. I was very pleased.

He did step up as soon as I went over. I felt really bad because I had to put everyone up because we were going out shopping. He made it very clear he wanted to play on his net. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.