• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ernie had an accident...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm still sick so hubby was doing bird stuff. He came out of the bird room this morning and said I can't find Ernie.

I went in and called and CALLED and eventually found him hanging upside down by his TOE from a hinge on the aviary. I had to work the toe out. He was quite weak and of course couldn't use that foot. He is standing on it now.

Ernie on me.jpg

I gave him electrolytes, which he took a tiny few sips, and veggies which he won't take. He still hasn't eaten. I am not taking him to the vet right now because (1) it stresses him beyond belief and (2) I am still struggling to breathe from Covid (got new meds from Dr. this a.m.). I will definitely take him if he doesn't perk up . He's on my shoulder which is where he likes to be.

I think this was a night fright incident; how else would his toe come in contact with the hinge on the door ? Weirdness.

atrium2 copy.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh no! Poor Ernie! So lucky you spotted him in time!!! That is a really weird place to get caught. I hope there´s no serious damage done and he´s back to his usually self soon with some extra TLC :) :hug9:

edit; Just wanted to add, this is exactly what I was saying about birds having weird freak accidents (back when Aldora got her nail stuck in the rim of a SS bowl) Sometimes we can do all we can with bird safe toys, and cages, and no candles no teflon, but these freak accidents just come unexpected out of nowhere.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Poor thing, hope he’s alright! It’s very lucky you found him in time :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, poor Ernie! I'm glad you found him in time.

I hope he feels better soon. Would he take an almond or a parrot cookie? Leia is obssessed with the latter.

I hope you feel better soon too
:bluhug:

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Try giving him a piece of apple or apple sauce! And maybe make sure he has heat source until he fully recovers- sit near a heater, so he can focus his energy on recovering. Hope you and Ernie feel better soon!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh no, poor Ernie! I'm glad you found him in time.

I hope he feels better soon. Would he take an almond or a parrot cookie? Leia is obssessed with the latter.

I hope you feel better soon too
:bluhug:
Thanks! Yes he loves the caitec cookies. And almonds. And walnuts lol. I'll find something he will eat! He's asleep on me right now.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little man! He must be exhausted!! I’m glad he’s sleeping in his favorite spot :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
edit; Just wanted to add, this is exactly what I was saying about birds having weird freak accidents (back when Aldora got her nail stuck in the rim of a SS bowl) Sometimes we can do all we can with bird safe toys, and cages, and no candles no teflon, but these freak accidents just come unexpected out of nowhere.
Isn't that the truth!!! I'm trying to learn to be more calm about it, just do the best I can and not beat myself up with these weird accidents. We really should not beat ourselves up.

I mean, who would look at that hinge and say it's a bird hazard??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Totally agree. Such a bizarre thing. It´s no ones fault, these things just happen.

Hope you feel better soon :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks! Yes he loves the caitec cookies. And almonds. And walnuts lol. I'll find something he will eat! He's asleep on me right now.
Leia is OBSSESSED. I have to hide the packet otherwise she just relentlessly squeaks at me to open it.

I'm sure you will find something that Ernie will eat. Poor guy is probably feeling pretty shaken.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Leia is OBSSESSED. I have to hide the packet otherwise she just relentlessly squeaks at me to open it.

I'm sure you will find something that Ernie will eat. Poor guy is probably feeling pretty shaken.
Ohhhh - I have to hide mine also. That is so funny!

He is! And it's hard to know, let him sleep or make him eat? I'm letting him lead.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These Pis eh, they know what they want.

Is he in a warm place? I'd honestly be inclined to encourage him to eat. You want to encourage people who are shaken to eat and drink to make sure that their blood sugar levels are kept stable.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Is he in a warm place? I'd honestly be inclined to encourage him to eat. You want to encourage people who are shaken to eat and drink to make sure that their blood sugar levels are kept stable.
Great answer.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he's better soon.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

I woke him up and offered him a cookie and he started weird wheezing with some vocal noise in between. Like gasp, squeak, gasp, squeak. I laid it down (I've got a little side table by my desk with his food and drink). About 5 min later tried again and he did it again. So he's tucked up asleep. I'll try again later. :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh. Warm place. Mmmm it's cooler inside than normal, because for once it's cooler outside. But he is on me? So a little warm? Think I will email the vet.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm very sorry to hear about both of you, & wish you well!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Ernie. Yes, I would call the vet and see what the vet thinks.

Your body heat will help but I'd also put the heating on in that room. If you do need to take Ernie in, make sure the travel cage is warm. You can fill a bottle with hot water and wrap it in a towel to make a heatpack.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh gosh Ernie! Heal fast! I hope you feel better soon too finchly.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Poor Ernie. Yes, I would call the vet and see what the vet thinks.

Your body heat will help but I'd also put the heating on in that room. If you do need to take Ernie in, make sure the travel cage is warm. You can fill a bottle with hot water and wrap it in a towel to make a heatpack.
I'm so unused to creating warmth! :laugh: We are in sub-tropical climate, usually I'm out cooling the car before we leave.

It's 76 F / 24 C here right now. Working on warming him. Hubby isn't here so can't leave yet. I don't think I can drive 45 min in my current state.