• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EPA Report~ Spot On Flea & Tick Treatment Harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
If any help I had a cat which needed daily dosing with tablets and not an easy task. Bought a gadget that looked like a syringe but it had a pincer bit on the end that held the tablet. You pulled the plunger up and inserted the tablet end into the side of the cats mouth, right back and pushed the plunger forward so emptying the tablet so far back into the cats mouth it usually swallowed it immediately and did not spit it out. (any size)

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Even with the really cruddy weather we have had here this winter, we are still seeing lots of cases of flea dermatitis. Luckily, my cats don't have a problem with the revolution, but we have seen cats that may lose some hair in the area where it was applied, but never any sores. Even though I get my heartguard, frontline and revolution free from work, I still like Sentinel for my dogs. Every now and then one of their reps will come in and we get free boxes of it, but for the most part, with 6 dogs, I still have to buy some. When we go to dog parks or other events and take the dogs, to be on the safe side, I spray them down with Frontline spray before we go for extra coverage. So far I've been lucky. We have seen horrible effects on animals from the over the counter flea products and yes, even deaths. It's so very sad.

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
I ordered a 3lb bucket of Diatomaceous Earth today. It's used for internal parasites as well as fleas and ticks. Everyone on the skunk list uses it and raves about how good it works. I'm trying to find out more on uses with birds. We've gone through all the critters with tapeworms, you get one straightened out, and then see it in the next. Skunks are also prone to roundworms. The whole treating everyone at once is more difficult since vets want to see all of them before treating. Not so easy now that I don't have a Dr that makes house calls.
Also I don't think the internal flea meds (Comfortis) work on my dogs with flea allergies.
I've always been happy with Frontline, I'll use it on my pants and shoes when going riding or hiking. But it's losing its effectiveness.
DE is people safe... I'm not quite sure if I want to go there... LOL!

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I ordered a 3lb bucket of Diatomaceous Earth today. It's used for internal parasites as well as fleas and ticks. Everyone on the skunk list uses it and raves about how good it works. I'm trying to find out more on uses with birds. We've gone through all the critters with tapeworms, you get one straightened out, and then see it in the next. Skunks are also prone to roundworms. The whole treating everyone at once is more difficult since vets want to see all of them before treating. Not so easy now that I don't have a Dr that makes house calls.
Also I don't think the internal flea meds (Comfortis) work on my dogs with flea allergies.
I've always been happy with Frontline, I'll use it on my pants and shoes when going riding or hiking. But it's losing its effectiveness.
DE is people safe... I'm not quite sure if I want to go there... LOL!
I think you are right about Frontline losing its effectiveness. We have been talking about that at work. That is why I also use the Frontline spray when taking the dogs out somewhere. As of yet, we have not seen a problem with the Comfortis. Not to say that we won't tho.

Do you have pet skunks?

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Here's my take- if you don't have a flea or tick (or heartworm) problem in your area, you don't have to use pesticides on your pets. If you do, you do. Remember that there is zero regulation on the marketing term 'natural' and that natural Does Not mean 'safe.' Cherry pits (cyanide) are perfectly natural, but toxic. Ditto for arsenic. Black walnut treatments are 'natural' but can kill if not used properly. Essential oils are often used for good effect for flea control in dogs but can cause liver failure and death in cats. If a product, natural or not, works, it is also probably somewhat dangerous and needs to be used according to direction and with an eye out for side effects. Look at aspirin from willow bark- great stuff at the right dose, a problem at overdose or even for some sensitive folks at the normal dose.

Our pets are the same- some cannot have a single flea on them without scratching holes in their skin, others tolerate a few without seeming to notice. Some react poorly to one kind of pesticide (be it oral/systemic or topical) but do fine with another. In my experience, the oral and topical drugs are more effective than the 'holistic' solutions, but also have a greater, but still small, risk of side effects or bad reactions. But if your pet is sensitive to fleas or you live in a place where the little effers never die, you need the stronger solutions.

I personally like Frontline, seems to work well around here, but definitely think it's worth experimenting to see what works for your pet in your location. Just stay away from the toxic OTC products made by Hartz, 8in1 and imitators- they will kill your pets in addition to the fleas. :(

Last edited:

wezl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carla Rae
I think you are right about Frontline losing its effectiveness. We have been talking about that at work. That is why I also use the Frontline spray when taking the dogs out somewhere. As of yet, we have not seen a problem with the Comfortis. Not to say that we won't tho.

Do you have pet skunks?
Here a lot of clinics won't even carry Frontline anymore because it really has become less effective. I started noticing it about 4 years ago. I think we are more likely to see these trends since we do have a major flea problem year around.
I've heard good things about Comfortis, but nothing definite for dogs with flea allergies. So far, we've kept Bill's under control this winter. Summer is usually a problem for him.
Maggie is our 9yo domestic skunk. She's a white on white, so you can see her stripes in the sun. She's our only one now. I have a couple of new pics to add to my other pets album.

Status
Not open for further replies.