• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

EPA Report~ Spot On Flea & Tick Treatment Harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
about time they stepped up :(

I use a combination of a spray and oral treatment

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would never use a topical treatment. That is putting poison right on your pets skin. Luckily my dogs dont really seem to attract fleas. I feed a premium dog food, and also add brewers yeast and garlic to their food. I would go holistic and exhaust all those options before resorting to chemicals.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I understand what you are saying, the problem here is that we have fleas year round, there is no break from them - I didn't see any for the 2 weeks the lows were in the 20's but as soon as it was above freezing, I was finding a flea here and there

in this climate it is a neverending battle :(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow how scary!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes I can understand that GG in the warmer climates. We do get a reprieve up here for a few months.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I feel like a monkey sometimes - picking the fleas off - I hate having to spray them

I also put a capful of PineSol in their bath water - it is not enough to harm them (large amounts can cause seizures) but it penetrates the exoskeleton and kills the fleas and their eggs

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I feel like a monkey sometimes - picking the fleas off - I hate having to spray them

I also put a capful of PineSol in their bath water - it is not enough to harm them (large amounts can cause seizures) but it penetrates the exoskeleton and kills the fleas and their eggs

You can use avon skin soft spray, it works good. What I do is take my dogs swimming a lot, fleas drown in water. Or you can set a kid pool, which I do also or hose them down a lot.:)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I will try the skin so soft

they can swim, at least a short distance - if I don't put a little pine sol in the toilet, they will climb out

thanks for the tips!!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
There are a lot of good holistic products on the market now. Must be in the south you guys really get hammered with fleas. :(

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
There are a lot of good holistic products on the market now. Must be in the south you guys really get hammered with fleas. :(

Yes Pat your right there is a lot of holistic products you can use. I have a few friends who go to an holistic vet. I will ask them what works the best:)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I use Advantage Multi heartworm topical liquid for my cats. One cat hates it. Previously I used REvolution and it used to create a big sore at the application location. So after two doses I switched. They spit out pills...

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
After he had a bad reaction, I switched my pup to a product called sentinel last month which is administered in a pill rather than rubbed on the back of the neck. Now that I've read this article I'm worried about the treatment we've used on the cats. I haven't seen a reaction with them, but it sounds scary. I live in the same region as gg and we experience year round "bug" conditions of one sort or another. (Except during the freezing weather this year.)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, fleas are a huge problem here. And we have people who use nothing, let their pets suffer, and the fleas hop from yard to yard. I have to have my yard sprayed as well, which I do not like. In VA. my biggest problem was ticks{I lived up near the Blue Ridge pky}..here it is fleas,roaches, and spiders. The latter I can live with, as long as they are not the venomous type.:eek:

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
I use Advantage Multi heartworm topical liquid for my cats. One cat hates it. Previously I used REvolution and it used to create a big sore at the application location. So after two doses I switched. They spit out pills...
saroj, we just switched our cats from Advantage TO Revolution because the vet said it would be a bit milder. Wow, it's hard to know what to believe... :confused:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They spit out pills...
Then you aren't doing it right.:p
Hold the cat's mouth open with one hand, and with the other push the pill down very far. My friend uses some kind of new pocket treat for her dogs to hide pills. Cheese or other favorite treats{a favorite meat or soft kitty treat?} work good too.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Yes Pat your right there is a lot of holistic products you can use. I have a few friends who go to an holistic vet. I will ask them what works the best:)
I would appreciate it if you did and let us know

I would rather use a natural treatment than chemicals

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Then you aren't doing it right.:p
Hold the cat's mouth open with one hand, and with the other push the pill down very far. My friend uses some kind of new pocket treat for her dogs to hide pills. Cheese or other favorite treats{a favorite meat or soft kitty treat?} work good too.
these were big horse pills :eek::eek::eek:
But maybe now they are made smaller...I'll check.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
That would be great Denise :hug8:

Well what does that tell you. :( Not enough regulation on pet products. My friend had a cat that had a bad reaction to a flea collar..I said THEN TAKE IT OFF! I mean if our pets are showing outward reactions to products we need to react. We have heartworm in our area so our dogs use Interceptor. We were told by our breeder that Aussies can have a reaction to ivermectin which is in Heartgard so we have it right in their charts that they are not to ever receive ivermectin

Status
Not open for further replies.